La Mesa, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6ggo
Also I know it won’t be for this class but we have had some talk about coms and stuff. And I’m kinda hoping @MTN RNR will give some talk about ham radio for some studying point.

***HAM CLASS HAM CLASS***
On 12/7 in la Mesa there is a HAM CRAM CLASS. You have to have an FRN from the faa. You can get one for free Here

Then email your FRN with the subject line 12/07 la Mesa class to k6rjf.rob@gmail.com

Just ask to be added to the class an send only your number. They fill up fast so GO DO IT.

Side note I will be attending this class.

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

For those coming Friday afternoon/evening, here is the turn off, the highway to camping spot (work your way northwest around the quarry following the trail about 1/3 mile). I will tie some yellow caution tape to a post at the turn off (to go North) and at the left turn on the trail. Once you start heading towards the base of the Mountain we will be on the right side.
Ocotillo Camp Spot turn off.
Dropped pin Near Imperial County, CA 32°46'06.6"N 116°01'25.3"W

SpaceGhost

Rank 0

Contributor II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Martinez
Hey sorry guys might be a stupid question but, is it possible for a 2wd vehicle to make it to the campsite and most of the common area? As I’m out of luck and won’t be able to take my vehicle this outing, needs a clutch.

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

You can make it to the camp site in Ocotillo in 2WD, it s a sandy wash but if you keep up your speed you can make it, but there are places going from where we are camping to get to Fish Creek where it is soft sand and 2WD might struggle. You could always just go around and take the S2 up to the 78 and go around then head to the Fish Creek Camp site, its about 70 or so miles going around, but you could make it to both sites at least.

SpaceGhost

Rank 0

Contributor II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Martinez
Also I know it won’t be for this class but we have had some talk about coms and stuff. And I’m kinda hoping @MTN RNR will give some talk about ham radio for some studying point.

***HAM CLASS HAM CLASS***
On 12/7 in la Mesa there is a HAM CRAM CLASS. You have to have an FRN from the faa. You can get one for free Here

Then email your FRN with the subject line 12/07 la Mesa class to k6rjf.rob@gmail.com

Just ask to be added to the class an send only your number. They fill up fast so GO DO IT.

Side note I will be attending this class.
How often are these classes offered? Does the FRN from the faa expire if not used for this class?

SpaceGhost

Rank 0

Contributor II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Martinez
You can make it to the camp site in Ocotillo in 2WD, it s a sandy wash but if you keep up your speed you can make it, but there are places going from where we are camping to get to Fish Creek where it is soft sand and 2WD might struggle. You could always just go around and take the S2 up to the 78 and go around then head to the Fish Creek Camp site, its about 70 or so miles going around, but you could make it to both sites at least.
Thanks sounds good. I’ll look into both of these options and check it out hoping to make it out there Saturday!

Stephen144

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA
First Name
STEPHEN
Last Name
KEMPERT
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6TYU
I take it the new camping spot near Ocotillo has no infrastructure at all. Just want to see if I need to bring the toilet[emoji1]

Reactions: SpaceGhost

Ch3lland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

Hey just asking we don’t need a license to talk on the gmrs channel correct?
No as long as you stay on the FRS 2 watt limit. As I understand it correctly... but I'm a total newb when it comes to the whole topic. I went ahead and got the GMRS license because I wanted a more powerful handset and detachable antenna capability. And use it legally :grimacing:

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

I take it the new camping spot near Ocotillo has no infrastructure at all. Just want to see if I need to bring the toilet[emoji1]
Yeah, it is dispersed camping at its finest! No water or toilets, there are pleanty of hills around so you can find space to make one (or #2) with Mother Nature. Fish Creek has Vault toilets but no running water, so plan on bringing 1 - 2 gallons of water per person per day, plus drinking water.

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

So far it looks like we have 5 - 6 rigs coming out Friday and a couple more showing up Saturday. For those just planning on meeting at Fish Creek Saturday, try getting the spots furthest south (near the restrooms) just makes the walk that much shorter!

justafish

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oceanside, CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Fisher
Member #

Hey all, newbie here! Hoping i can tag along Friday-Saturday and meet some of you guys/gals as i have not made it to any meetings as of yet.

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
I’m confirming for SAT arrival, hopefully by 7pm. This is my first time in Anza-Borrego, and sadly it’ll be dark by the time we show up. Any logistics details are greatly appreciated. I’m assuming I’ll see Fish Creek signs once I’m in the general area. If somebody can send me a text with group whereabouts it would be great 949-466-5452. Thanks, Wally

Ch3lland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

I’m confirming for SAT arrival, hopefully by 7pm. This is my first time in Anza-Borrego, and sadly it’ll be dark by the time we show up. Any logistics details are greatly appreciated. I’m assuming I’ll see Fish Creek signs once I’m in the general area. If somebody can send me a text with group whereabouts it would be great 949-466-5452. Thanks, Wally
@hopkillin will we have the OB flag hoisted at Fish Creek Saturday to help everyone find us?

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Wally, Here is the GPS location of the camp entrance at Fish Creek. There aren't many signs, but as you come down Split Mountain Rd. you will hit the wash and go right (South). Just follow your GPS to the location below and you should run into us. The entrance to the camp sight isn't super easy to find and you can drive right by it especially at night. If you work you way down the wash about 1/2 a mile there is a small trail road on the left that will enter up into the camp site. If you go too far you will enter the canyons and know you've gone to far, the camp site is at the entrance to the canyons. Its up about 15 ft out of the wash so hopefully you can see some lights from the group to be your beacon.