San Antonio,TX Monthly meeting

• HTML tutorial

Michael Lynch Jr.

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Seguin
Member #

Aug 6th!!!! I will be at tycoon flats. That is our next planned meet up. To bring a bit of order to the meetup, consider your favorite place to off road. Pick a few things you like and don’t like about it. Then at the meet up we can discuss and share our opinions. Look forward to seeing some OB folks there!

Richard Hartman 96

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hartman
Member #

It is Officially on the Calendar! Welcome back to the grid Jeff

There will be a meeting First Monday of October 5:30. Unfortunately September's first Monday was Labor Day so we didn't meet. I think from now on if the first Monday is a National Holiday then it will be moved that month to the second Monday.

I am sorry I wasn't at the August Meeting I hope some of the guys met up. The Guys at Tycoon Flats said they were not sure if they came or not.

I am interested in going to the Overland Expo, The East Expo is in November though so I just want to also make sure which expo Ben is talking about!

I have posted a Rally Point for the Meeting if anyone wants to check the forum page out. It should be our 3rd one. I would like to send another thank you to Michael Lynch Jr. and CloakedInGreen for making the first meeting back in July. I enjoyed it an look forward to meeting again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Graham

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
It is Officially on the Calendar! Welcome back to the grid Jeff

There will be a meeting First Monday of October 5:30. Unfortunately September's first Monday was Labor Day so we didn't meet. I think from now on if the first Monday is a National Holiday then it will be moved that month to the second Monday.

I am sorry I wasn't at the August Meeting I hope some of the guys met up. The Guys at Tycoon Flats said they were not sure if they came or not.

I am interested in going to the Overland Expo, The East Expo is in November though so I just want to also make sure which expo Ben is talking about!

I have posted a Rally Point for the Meeting if anyone wants to check the forum page out. It should be our 3rd one. I would like to send another thank you to Michael Lynch Jr. and CloakedInGreen for making the first meeting back in July. I enjoyed it an look forward to meeting again.
I'm attending Overland Exp East in Nov, let me know what your plans are. We have a few other members, meeting up in route.

I will start my drive to California, to attend Rally West 2018 aka "Off The Grid 2018", that Monday. I will not be able to attend next month. I have some adventures planned before the Rally starts, so I'm getting an early start. I will have to start my monthly attendence in November. I will start my drive to Overland Exo East the following day.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Reactions: Bionic Randy

CCTX50

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi TEXAS
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Strasheim
Member #

Happy New Year Overlanders. Wanted to see if we have any meetup set up for 19. Would like to try and make it up to San Antonio if so.

Bionic Randy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Pipe Creek, Texas, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Tipton
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Happy New Year Overlanders. Wanted to see if we have any meetup set up for 19. Would like to try and make it up to San Antonio if so.
Build it and they will come? How far out do you reckon we’d need to plan it to get max members to show? Is there someone designated to coordinate this kind of stuff?

Lucky3

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Garden Ridge, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Holden
Member #

I’m a new member from near San Antonio and look forward to meeting up with some other members sometime.

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I would suggest picking a day in the month like the third Thursday of every month and that be the set date and set the location

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

This has been attempted a few times over the past year in San Antonio....The Tycoon Flats location seems to have stopped being a thing? I honestly think the thing that's missing right now is not desire from individuals, its really an individual who's willing to act in an ambassador/activator capacity to make it happen, spread the word to all members in the area, and get it going.

If you look at other regions with successful gtg's going, someone or even a couple of people are filling this role. This is not just inviting a few people to come. There's more involved. You almost have to look at it from a marketing/advertising perspective. Got to get the word out to a bunch of folks, in order to generate a solid handful of people who are invested and interested. Then you got to make it easy for the other people to just show up. This is one of those roles/jobs that's sort of thankless, often more time consuming than one would expect, and not something you just do every now and then. I do similar things in my profession often, there's actual work involved.

I'm not really pointing this at anybody, these are just my observations. I don't have the time or commitment capacity to do that myself, although I'd be interested in being an "invested member" if someone else did it. I would suggest, I think a great location/time for this would be San Antonio cars and coffee meetup. It's once a month on the second Saturday of every month, in the Oak Hills Church parking lot, just north of 1604 on IH-10. There's already a meetup going, venue is figured out and coordinated, there's even coffee and donuts already. I've been once, there's a huge toyota group, although most of them are more the "broverlander" or shiny Sema builds rather than the purpose built rigs OB normally runs. It would be easy to coordinate a group of us and grab one of the back corners of the parking lot. This is about as close to a no-energy required, already coordinated "event in a box" as we could ever get. @Hybrid_Offroad and I have even discussed this a couple of times.
If anybody is super interested in assuming the "activator" role for this, I'd totally be available for help and suggestions to get it going. I just don't have the time to do it myself.

Edit: for context, this isn't a new thing I'm making up here. OB has a leadership structure in place that totally acknowledges what I just said. One of the main roles of a Regional Ambassador is equipping local people to get more local gatherings like this going. I don't believe the Regional Ambassadors do that themselves, they're more in a position where they find multiple people to do this on a more local scale, and they provide support and resources. I believe @Ryan Matthes is our regional ambassador. Also, see this thread for some more discussion on coordinating meetups. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/sw-region-meet-up-planning-consolidated-thread.6783/

Last edited: