Traxx

Rank 0

Contributor II

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Grishom
Solo trips are great, and almost all of mine are. I think it is important to know yourself and vehicle. Know your limits and the consequence of passing them.
I have been looking to this overloading as a replacement to rock crawling and extreme Offroad. I got the F-150 for capable comfort, daily driving and workability. I look forward to day and week trips on easy to moderate off highway roads.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I do not likelarge groups (6 or more). There are just to many agendas and they move slow. I mostly go solo or just a couple of others. One more than one I don’t know so we can all get on the same page quickly. If the new guy is THAT GUY it’s his last trip with us. I also know posting this will make me THAT GUY to some.
Agree 100%. I lead a tour in the summer and have let the organizers know that I’ll lead no more than 5 vehicles. Besides that my wife and I are solo. The only others I’ll even consider running with are family with capable skill sets and capable vehicles. Except if we were to venture up deep into Canada. Only then would we want to go in any kind of caravan, but even then, three vehicles, maximum.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I've been "overlanding" for over 50 years. 99% has been alone or with my wife riding shotgun. I grew up in the mountains of Colorado on a ranch in the mountains.
Rules:

Always have someone who knows when you are supposed to be back and check in upon returning.
Try to let someone know where you are going, or at least the general route.
Know your limitations.
Know your vehicles limitations.
Use common sense. Leave your testosterone at home.
Always lay out an alternative route before hand.
Carry lots of spare parts and the tools and knowhow to use them.
Know how to recover a vehicle and have at least the basic equipment; strap, shovel, ratchet cable winch.
Use common sense. Plan your route over an obstacle. Plan your recovery if you get stuck/hung up.
Remember...you may have to come back over the same obstacle.
Consider your self to be on your own. Have survival gear and rations.

95% of the places I go have no cell service. I have a 2m ham in my rig but 90% have no repeater service.
A SPOT or Garmin Satellite communicator has finally gotten more affordable, but when I needed mine most, it didn't work
and I had to walk out 28 miles on bad knees (now both recently replaced)
A SAT phone is a viable option as well. The key is if you are beyond what you can manage to hike out on foot and you don't have all of the above

DON'T GO

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I've been "overlanding" for over 50 years. 99% has been alone or with my wife riding shotgun. I grew up in the mountains of Colorado on a ranch in the mountains.
Rules:

Always have someone who knows when you are supposed to be back and check in upon returning.
Know your limitations.
Know how to recover a vehicle and have at least the basic equipment; strap, shovel, ratchet cable winch.
Use common sense. Plan your route over an obstacle. Plan your recovery if you get stuck/hung up.

95% of the places I go have no cell service. I have a 2m ham in my rig but 90% have no repeater service.
A SPOT or Garmin Satellite communicator has finally gotten more affordable, but when I needed mine most, it didn't work
A SAT phone is a viable option as well. The key is if you are beyond what you can manage to hike out on foot and you don't have all of the above

DON'T GO
[/QUOTE, for
You said it all. I’ll add that, for us, our loaded up backpacks including a PLB are our grab bags. Gotta be able to walk away.

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
Rules:

Know your limitations.

DON'T GO
So from what I understand in this is use common sense!

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

Yeah I do. Honestly if my wife wasn’t super pregnant I would have her do it but she is and doesn’t always have a good eye for the shots anyways.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We run solo 100%. Anytime it is an extreme backcountry expedition 90% of the time there is no cell svc. or 2M repeater network.We carry a HF unit and sign up on Global Rescue for the time we will be “out there”. Around $150 for 14 days. Cheap compared to an emergency extraction and peace of mind. Sh!t happens.

update: I did some research after posting. There are now websites where you can rent a SatPhone with different usage plans at really reasonable rates. Much more versatile. Throw one in a pelican case and your good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: old_man

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

We run solo 100%. Anytime it is an extreme backcountry expedition 90% of the time there is no cell svc. or 2M repeater network.We carry a HF unit and sign up on Global Rescue for the time we will be “out there”. Around $150 for 14 days. Cheap compared to an emergency extraction and peace of mind. Sh!t happens.

What is a HF unit? I have a Garmin so my dad doesn’t worry as much.

Reactions: old_man and Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

What is a HF unit? I have a Garmin so my dad doesn’t worry as much.
Sorry, High Freq.Ham Radio. I was considering a sat phone but I don’t think it would be cost effective for us. Good move with the Garmin to keep Dad happy.

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've been doing more solo trips with my spouse than group trips. The nice thing about solo trips is you don't have to wait on anyone but you, the breakdowns your dealing with are your own. We've actually come to really enjoy going on our own. We do take alot of precautions. We map out our route and possible camp sites well beforehand. My daughter is a special needs child and its very important that my care giver for her knows where we are. We check in too. As for getting those awesome shots, my advice is get your spouse to either drive or take pictures. We do both, its nice to be able to sit back and enjoy the drive sometimes and take pictures or videos.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I just got back from doing most of the NMBDR, and will be returning our inreach mini. Probably 2/3 of the preset messages I sent never went through. These were supposed to let my wife know that I had reached camp in the evening and woke up in the morning. Needless to say, the wife was not happy and neither was I. Way to much money to not work as advertised.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I just got back from doing most of the NMBDR, and will be returning our inreach mini. Probably 2/3 of the preset messages I sent never went through. These were supposed to let my wife know that I had reached camp in the evening and woke up in the morning. Needless to say, the wife was not happy and neither was I. Way to much money to not work as advertised.
I love mine inreach, it took me a couple of trip to fIgure it out. I was driving around with is so I could track my movements as I drove around, and checking in. The instructions are pretty crappy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Traxx

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

There are a lot of things I think about when I am running a trail. I worry about obstacles like boulders that have rolled down onto the trail or fallen trees. Also think about breakdowns. Which could happen to anybody regardless if they're solo or not but my biggest pain it's taking pictures especially when you're on an obstacle. So when I look at pictures I think about how it would be cool to have an extra person on the trail . I wonder how many other solo overlanders feel the same?
I usually end up with a lot of windshield pics or vistas for this reason. Usually to busy navigating to think about the obstacles. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JDGreens and Traxx

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

I too travel solo most of the time or with a select few; self reliance and trust respectively. I have all the recovery stuff from when I wheeled, but in overlanding I have been more conservative. I have CB/GMRS been looking into HAM license and the InReach mini. Backups for backups for backups, and a bit of MacGyver x Mark Watney.

On the solo pics. In lieu of a drone I plan to try my 360 cam on a rig-selfie pole?

Reactions: Traxx and Sneaks

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

There are a lot of things I think about when I am running a trail. I worry about obstacles like boulders that have rolled down onto the trail or fallen trees. Also think about breakdowns. Which could happen to anybody regardless if they're solo or not but my biggest pain it's taking pictures especially when you're on an obstacle. So when I look at pictures I think about how it would be cool to have an extra person on the trail . I wonder how many other solo overlanders feel the same?
I travel for me, for the solitude and the beauty. I take pictures of where I've been, not pictures of me doing something silly. Take pictures of the scenery and other people and enjoy the trip.

Best part of the trip for me is camped on a beach.. or a cliff with a good book and a Rye Coke.

But if you need cool pictures, consider a drone, nothing cooler than a drone video following you.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I love having a shared experience with somebody I care for. Life happens, and some of us travel solo now. I chose to go alone rather than wait for another. I am comfortable in my skin and learned to enjoy myself alone. I would much rather travel with my love, or a good friend. If I can’t then, I will chose solo over a unknown or a butt head.