Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
There are a lot of things I think about when I am running a trail. I worry about obstacles like boulders that have rolled down onto the trail or fallen trees. Also think about breakdowns. Which could happen to anybody regardless if they're solo or not but my biggest pain it's taking pictures especially when you're on an obstacle. So when I look at pictures I think about how it would be cool to have an extra person on the trail . I wonder how many other solo overlanders feel the same?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I enjoy traveling by myself. I just deal with what as it arises. I once ran 17 miles of cobble stone and beach stone in nowhere Baja, I was puckered up in more than one spot. I don’t worry much about images as they are a pain. I do take some.

Last edited:

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I enjoy traveling by myself. I just deal with what as it arises. I once ran 17 miles of cobble stone and beach stone in nowhere Baja, I was puckered up in more than one spot. I don’t worry mush about images as they are a pain.
I tried to get them before or after I go past the obstacle. Mainly for the record of where I traveled and what I traveled on.

Reactions: MMc

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Of course now thinking about it. Being retired I've always traveled solo and so I've never experienced traveling in a group.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I use to try and take pics of the rig but... the hills always look less steep , the rocks smaller The flex doesn’t look as good and the snow looks no where as deep . Now I focus more on enjoying being outdoors rather than the photo op
That's so true. I've looked at some of mine and they look lame.

Jaron Williams

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kinston, NC USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Williams
Member #

I THINK I'd love to do a few solo trips when I finally venture out. Just me and the dogs. But I worry seriously about a breakdown in the middle of nowhere in my 2009 H3. I am trying to secure enough recovery gear and upgrades/ fixes to make solo travel less of a worry to me.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I THINK I'd love to do a few solo trips when I finally venture out. Just me and the dogs. But I worry seriously about a breakdown in the middle of nowhere in my 2009 H3. I am trying to secure enough recovery gear and upgrades/ fixes to make solo travel less of a worry to me.
Not so bad even if you're solo but there's other people around in whatever UTV four wheeler you know there's somebody. I'm also not ashamed to admit I bailed on two trails because I didn't feel comfortable doing them solo.

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
There are a lot of things I think about when I am running a trail. I worry about obstacles like boulders that have rolled down onto the trail or fallen trees. Also think about breakdowns. Which could happen to anybody regardless if they're solo or not but my biggest pain it's taking pictures especially when you're on an obstacle. So when I look at pictures I think about how it would be cool to have an extra person on the trail . I wonder how many other solo overlanders feel the same?
I was thinking about how to capture the great photos while transversing an obstacle , and am considering getting a drone with “follow me” capabilities to catch the perfect video clips.

It’s a thought anyways!

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I was thinking about how to capture the great photos while transversing an obstacle , and am considering getting a drone with “follow me” capabilities to catch the perfect video clips.

It’s a thought anyways!
Yeah that might be an idea. But I ran a trail 3 days ago long side of a mountain and trees were just everywhere. Definitely would like to have the memories in pics or video but not if I'm going to lose a drone in the process

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

solo is not an issue if you know your truck, where you are going, have enough essentials like water and coms, and trust your judgement and maintenance
but the key is letting others know your plans, and when you'll be back

going solo does not mean going without support

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

You know I really want to venture out on my own more often as well. I have a pretty dependable Jeep Cherokee. It's over 20 yrs. old but, is very simple to work on. I carry a lot of spare parts, and enough tools to take care of most trail fixes.

Here in Colorado I'm only a couple of hours away from some great trails and only 4 hour from my favorite area ( the San Juan area).

This year I ventured out on a solo rig camping trip this summer with my daughter, we camped on the back side of Mnt Antero, for my first attempt to hike a 14er.

The one main thing that gives me solice in going out on my own. I have a group of friends that we get together to work on our rigs and try to get together for trails runs when our schedules match up. When I plan on going out on my own or if these guys go out without me, we lay out our agenda and touch base when we have cell service during our trips. So if we get into a pickle we can help each other out. Hopefully we will never have to come to the rescue, but it's good to know we have each others back.

I really looking forward to next season I plan on doing much more then just overlanding, I want to be able to hike trails with my wife, from our campsites. Checking out nearby towns and just chilling.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
You know I really want to venture out on my own more often as well. I have a pretty dependable Jeep Cherokee. It's over 20 yrs. old but, is very simple to work on. I carry a lot of spare parts, and enough tools to take care of most trail fixes.

Here in Colorado I'm only a couple of hours away from some great trails and only 4 hour from my favorite area ( the San Juan area).

This year I ventured out on a solo rig camping trip this summer with my daughter, we camped on the back side of Mnt Antero, for my first attempt to hike a 14er.

The one main thing that gives me solice in going out on my own. I have a group of friends that we get together to work on our rigs and try to get together for trails runs when our schedules match up. When I plan on going out on my own or if these guys go out without me, we lay out our agenda and touch base when we have cell service during our trips. So if we get into a pickle we can help each other out. Hopefully we will never have to come to the rescue, but it's good to know we have each others back.

I really looking forward to next season I plan on doing much more then just overlanding, I want to be able to hike trails with my wife, from our campsites. Checking out nearby towns and just chilling.
I hear you. Although overlanding fun and running trails is pretty cool and exciting. You're also traveling so getting out and eating a new places seeing new things in a town that's a big portion of the traveling while overlanding.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Yeah it's kind of hard to peel off of a group and hike all day, or spend the day in let's say Telluride. Kind of expected to go with the flow. But the nice thing about doing both types of travel. I can scout trails and campsites that are suitable for my wife and I when we want to get out together.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I think knowing the capability of your rig and your capability as a driver is paramount to having a safe & enjoyable trip. We recently went on a trip. We were by ourselves but the trail had dozens of modified Jeeps using it because it's a very popular wheeling trail. According to the data I looked up, the trail was not suitable for our rig (2016 KL Cherokee), because of water crossings, high ledges and deep ruts. We took or time; stopped and scouted out the best lines before we tried any large obstacles. My wife isn't very experienced so I spotted her over the toughest obstacles. (We also avoided the really tough side trails after we saw several highly modified Jeeps with trail damage.)

The Bottom Line is that it took us longer to complete the trail than it did the modified Jeeps. But, we made it through without any damage. I have a winch, traction boards and other recovery gear. But, I have yet to use any of it because I'm willing to tell myself, I probably could make it but I don't need to try. (I'm also 100% confident in my knowledge and my KL's ability; while understanding the limits of both.)

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Of course now thinking about it. Being retired I've always traveled solo and so I've never experienced traveling in a group.
I do not likelarge groups (6 or more). There are just to many agendas and they move slow. I mostly go solo or just a couple of others. One more than one I don’t know so we can all get on the same page quickly. If the new guy is THAT GUY it’s his last trip with us. I also know posting this will make me THAT GUY to some.

Last edited:

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I do not likelarge groups (6 or more). There are just to many agendas and they move slow. I mostly go solo or just a couple of others. One more than one I don’t know so we can all get on the same page quickly. If the new guy is THAT GUY it’s his last trip with us.
Yes there is that side of the coin.