Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Paul, most people just call me Tim, I am really looking forward to this trip. a thought crossed my mind last night, when we reach the Oregon coast, I would be so close to one of my bucket list items that it would be a perfect opportunity to trek into Alaska while I was relativly close

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Paul, most people just call me Tim, I am really looking forward to this trip. a thought crossed my mind last night, when we reach the Oregon coast, I would be so close to one of my bucket list items that it would be a perfect opportunity to trek into Alaska while I was relativly close
Hopefully by then the Canadian border will be open again to allow tourist crossing.

If you don't already have one, purchase the book "The Milepost" and start reading it (it is a pretty big book).

Link: Home - The MILEPOST

Link: About Us - The MILEPOST

This is the Bible for travel into western Canada and Alaska. This is the one book you want for planning your adventure up there, and to use as a reference book while up there. It is updated yearly. It will totally whet your appetite for travel up in that region. That's the book I use when overlanding up there. It is beautiful country - but very vast and open.

Let me know how I can help you make that happen. Bring it with you when we do the TAT.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I saw an ad for that milepost and thought it was a magazine subscription, I will have to order one!
sir, thank you for that info
Believe me... you will not be disappointed! The only problem you will have is you will want to do it all once you start reading it!

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Sounds like a fun trip. Will know if I can join you in about a month.

Paul, you mentioned that roll out will be between 8 and 9:00 am. What time do you plan on getting to the next camp? Also are you planning rest days when we are not driving or days with later roll out times? It would be nice to occasionally get some extra sleep. Will there be any nights in a hotel or campgrounds with showers or will all camps be boondocking?

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Sounds like a fun trip. Will know if I can join you in about a month.

Paul, you mentioned that roll out will be between 8 and 9:00 am. What time do you plan on getting to the next camp? Also are you planning rest days when we are not driving or days with later roll out times? It would be nice to occasionally get some extra sleep. Will there be any nights in a hotel or campgrounds with showers or will all camps be boondocking?
You bring up some good questions.

What time do you plan on getting to the next camp? Ideally sometime later in the afternoon so we have time to get settled, eat dinner, and have some time around a campfire before turning in for the night. However, since I've never run the TAT, a lot of it will be based on what's coming up ahead of us on the trail. Some days might end earlier, some later. I am more than happy to have someone who isn't driving looking ahead on their map or computer as we follow the TAT to recommend a stopping place. I/we have to strike a balance to not try to rush the TAT just to say "I did it" (to just check-the-block), and at the same time not drag it out so long that folks can't finish it. I will try to strike that balance. I'm thinking/hoping it'll take 4-5 weeks to complete. Any shorter we're rushing it; any longer we're being slowpokes.

Are you planning rest days when we are not driving or days with later roll out times? Oh yes. Hopefully every five days or so we'll stop either before lunch and call it a day, or we'll spend two nights in one place so we have a full day to do whatever. Maybe in a town where we can do laundry, do some shopping, or just relax and eat at a sit-down restaurant. Or some days we might get into a cool town and decide we're not leaving till noon the next day because there's stuff to see and do there. If we had a rainy day, we might take a day to dry-out our gear. Kinda depends on where we're at. Hopefully we can play it loose a little bit sometimes depending where we're at. But for "normal" days, we're going to get-up and get-going between 0800 & 0900 and drive all day. But yeah' we've gotta have some downtime - can't be driving every-single-day from sun-up to sundown.

Will there be any nights in a hotel or campgrounds with showers or will all camps be boondocking? Yes - I'm planning on us mixing it up some. Some nights we may be at a place where a motel is an option, or we get to a campground with showers (I need a shower every couple days at least). KOA campgrounds(?) - sometimes they're an oasis. And some nights we might be boondocking, or the campground might be on the primitive side. Again, never having run the TAT, I don't know where we will be spending the night every night (that's part of the adventure). Some folks might find this hard to believe coming from me, but there's something to be said for not trying to micro-plan your trip. Once I get my maps from Sam at TAT, I will start looking at them closely. And since part of the fun in a trip like this is the planning and research, I would encourage everyone participating to look closely at our route to see where there might be good places to park for a bit. I might overlook something along the route that someone else notices that's up ahead a bit that might be worth checking out. But a trip like this, it is impossible really to know where our day will start and end every day. Flexibility will be key on a trip like this.

I hope you can join us.

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
This looks like a great trip with great leadership.
Thanks!

I'm hoping it'll be fun trip. If everyone going has the right mindset and a good attitude going into it, it'll be a great trip! Otherwise, why do it...?

I know I put a bunch of vehicle requirements and rules and expectations out up front, but I've found (from experience) it makes things go a whole lot smoother with a group when folks know what's expected before we even do the first mile together. Or they know beforehand when deciding if they want to participate or not.

Most if not all organized runs put on by groups or organizations will post a list of vehicle requirements and participant expectations... it isn't an original idea on my part. I just get a little more specific, and a little more wordy in some respects.

Last edited:

HPER

Rank II

Member I

WV
First Name
Heather
Last Name
Perando
Member #

Hi everyone, my name is Heather and I have just RSVP’d for this trip. I have enjoyed four wheeling for many years, but I have transitioned to more overland type adventures. Earlier this year, I took a trip with Mountain State Overland through WV and VA and have ventured out on many small trips of my own. In researching places to explore, the TAT was added to my bucket list, so I was very excited when I saw this trip posted on OB. I will be doing this trip in my 2014 Rubicon and possibly towing my M101 trailer. I am currently working on some modifications to move my RTT from my Jeep to the trailer.
While I will not be able to do the trip from start to finish, I am planning to stay on for at least 2-3 weeks before heading back home. Again, I am SO happy I found this thread!

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Hi everyone, my name is Heather and I have just RSVP’d for this trip. I have enjoyed four wheeling for many years, but I have transitioned to more overland type adventures. Earlier this year, I took a trip with Mountain State Overland through WV and VA and have ventured out on many small trips of my own. In researching places to explore, the TAT was added to my bucket list, so I was very excited when I saw this trip posted on OB. I will be doing this trip in my 2014 Rubicon and possibly towing my M101 trailer. I am currently working on some modifications to move my RTT from my Jeep to the trailer.
While I will not be able to do the trip from start to finish, I am planning to stay on for at least 2-3 weeks before heading back home. Again, I am SO happy I found this thread!
Welcome aboard. So maybe I won't be the only one pulling a little trailer! We're happy to have you.

I spent some time in VA and WV in 2019, and I thought it was beautiful country, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. Will you be starting with us in WV?

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Just a bit of info to pass on to anyone who has not got a license to operate a GMRS radio (one of the requirements for the TAT ), It is a pretty easy and straight forward process, first, follow this link Why Do I Need a GMRS License & How Do I Get It? | Midland Radio and follow the instructions. If you are like me and never had a FCC license before you have to register for a FRN (FCC Registration Number) make sure you enter a valid email,address, that is how they send your license. Once you register for your FRN, you continue answering the questions until you get to the payment screen, pay your fee of $70, your license will be good for 10 years (license is good for your whole family) and within 48 I had an email notification that my license was ready to download. Hit me up if you have any questions and I will see if I can help you out.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Just a bit of info to pass on to anyone who has not got a license to operate a GMRS radio (one of the requirements for the TAT ), It is a pretty easy and straight forward process, first, follow this link Why Do I Need a GMRS License & How Do I Get It? | Midland Radio and follow the instructions. If you are like me and never had a FCC license before you have to register for a FRN (FCC Registration Number) make sure you enter a valid email,address, that is how they send your license. Once you register for your FRN, you continue answering the questions until you get to the payment screen, pay your fee of $70, your license will be good for 10 years (license is good for your whole family) and within 48 I had an email notification that my license was ready to download. Hit me up if you have any questions and I will see if I can help you out.
Should soon be $35. Probably in the next 30-90 days.

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Happy 2021 y'all! Great to see some more interest in the trip. Looking forward to sharing the adventure with you all and learning more along the way. Also...if you have the opportunity to get the COVID-19 vaccine before the trip, please consider it. Wishing you all health and wellness for the new year. -Scott

PS: Mountain State Overland started a "Hammer Down" series on Youtube about their experience on the TAT. Check it out here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ubiety

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

@armyRN Paul, do you know how close Shadow passes to Yellowstone?
I got the paper maps and GPS for WY, ID, and the Pacific spur last week from Sam. The paper map says Yellowstone Park is 100 miles north of where the TAT crosses the ID/WY border. Still working on figuring out the GPS on Gaia as I'm new to it. Hopefully I can tag along for the WY, ID, and part of OR part of the trip, I'll have to see how work goes this summer.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I got the paper maps and GPS for WY, ID, and the Pacific spur last week from Sam. The paper map says Yellowstone Park is 100 miles north of where the TAT crosses the ID/WY border. Still working on figuring out the GPS on Gaia as I'm new to it. Hopefully I can tag along for the WY, ID, and part of OR part of the trip, I'll have to see how work goes this summer.
Thanks! I was hoping it was closer.........

Reactions: Ubiety