Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hi everyone, my name is Heather and I have just RSVP’d for this trip. I have enjoyed four wheeling for many years, but I have transitioned to more overland type adventures. Earlier this year, I took a trip with Mountain State Overland through WV and VA and have ventured out on many small trips of my own. In researching places to explore, the TAT was added to my bucket list, so I was very excited when I saw this trip posted on OB. I will be doing this trip in my 2014 Rubicon and possibly towing my M101 trailer. I am currently working on some modifications to move my RTT from my Jeep to the trailer.
While I will not be able to do the trip from start to finish, I am planning to stay on for at least 2-3 weeks before heading back home. Again, I am SO happy I found this thread!
I sure hope you'll make it as far as the Rockies! (Yes, I am biased.) :sunglasses:

Reactions: Ubiety

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
A question or two has come up about GMRS radio usage. There's no special language or such you need to use to communicate with GMRS. If you can use a CB radio, you can use a GMRS. We'll most likely start out on channel 15 (462.55000) unless that channel is in use by someone else (then we'll move down a channel). Refer to attachment below.

A couple things you should have in your vehicle related to your GMRS radio:

1. The instructional paperwork that came with your radio (instructions on how to use it, change frequencies, etc.). I still have to refer to my paperwork sometimes - I'll freely admit it.

2. Copy of your GMRS license. I seriously doubt the FCC will be out there checking, but it doesn't hurt to have a copy of it.

3. A printed copy of the attachment below. Sometimes depending on the radio, "Their" channel 15 might be different from "My" channel 15. But 462.55000 is 462.55000. Some of the handhelds only show 1 - 22 - they don't show frequencies. And if channel 15 is in use and I say "Ok' lets go to channel 16, you'll know channel 16 is 462.57500 by looking at the attachment that you printed out and brought with you. I've had it happen where we decided to change frequencies in the middle of the trail (there was a GMRS relay station nearby that was using channel 15).

Practice changing channels on your radio. And if there's a way on your radio to "lock-it" on the channel, know how to lock and unlock. Sometimes someone will accidently push a button on their unlocked radio and they change their frequency, and now they've lost radio contact with the rest of the group (and sadly they don't know it, but later they'll say they thought it suddenly got quiet on the radio).

Attachments

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a GMRS radio. Technically, you can do it as cheaply as $25 by purchasing a BaoFeng UV-5R and calling it a day. Technically this lil' radio also covers HAM frequencies (I have my HAM technician license), but we'll be limiting ourselves to the GMRS frequencies on this trip.

These BaoFeng radios, while cheap, are not toys. You need a license to transmit on them (depending on the frequency, either a HAM license or a GMRS license). Please don't buy them and give them to your kids to play with.

BaoFeng.1.PNG

It comes with a charger. So you'll need some sort of inexpensive inverter to plug into your cigarette lighter to charge it ($20 +/-). It wouldn't hurt to purchase a separate battery ($10.00) so you've always got a fully charged spare ready to go if needed. If you can get some sort of mount for your dash so it is always in front of you and readily accessible you'll be happier. You will get tired quickly of holding the radio in one hand and driving with the other, and I can guarantee you if you set the radio on the dash or seat beside you, it will fall on the floor out of your reach. I mention the one I use by Rugged Radio later.

Even if you've got a hard-mounted GMRS radio in your vehicle (like a Midland), it is really nice to have a separate hand-held for when you're out of your vehicle (you'll be glad you did). We spent a day trying to get through a muddy section once (with multiple vehicles quite spread out), and I was away from my Jeep a good bit helping, but I was still "connected" with my hand-held, so when they needed a chainsaw or my tire inflator to reseat a bead, I heard the request and could respond. I had it clipped to my jacket so my hands were free.

I have an upgraded version of this UV-5R (BaoFeng BF-F8HP - $90.00) mounted on my dash using a Rugged Radio MT-5R "single side radio mount" ($17.00 on Amazon) that works well. I also have a two-way radio speaker attached to the radio (is a speaker and a mic). You can get them from Amazon starting at $15.00 (BaoFeng BF-S112); there are plenty of options for these two-way speaker/mikes. I also have the BaoFeng battery eliminator (between $9.00 and $18.00 on Amazon) so my radio is plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet all the time (and that actually freed-up the battery that came with the radio, so I automatically had a spare battery now). I've also got an external antenna attached to the outside of the Jeep and connected to the little radio by a cable (but you could get away with using the antenna that comes with the radio or a cheap upgrade).

So this is my version of a "hard mounted" GMRS radio. I also have a couple of the hand-held UV-5R radios for use when I'm out of the vehicle. If you are going to get a BaoFeng radio, make sure you're getting an actual "BaoFeng" product and not a knock-off.

BaoFeng on TJ dash.jpg

Midland sells a nice small/compact hard mounted 15W GMRS package that includes an antenna and cable, and I believe the power cord can plug into a cigarette lighter outlet. This is a popular GMRS radio, and perfectly suited for traveling with a group like we'll be doing:

Link: MXT115 MicroMobile Two-Way GMRS Radio | Midland Radio (midlandusa.com)

They sell a cheaper hard mount version that's only a 5Watt radio (Walmart might also sell it) - skip it - go for the 15Watt at least.

They also have bundles which includes the hard mounted radio and two hand-held radios with chargers. Now through 15 Jan use the code "2021" and get some off on the bundle. If you and a buddy (or spouse) are traveling together and you're both getting out of your vehicle and will be out of shouting range, having two hand-helds makes sense.

Link: ORMXT115 MicroMobile-GXT Bundle | Midland Radio (midlandusa.com)

These are just a couple of examples if you're looking for a GMRS radio. I'm just trying to present inexpensive options that'll do the job.

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@armyRN one of the great things about your plans are how to the point and helpful they are. It is very refreshing to see someone focus on basics and cheap rather than the glam and glitz.

I sure do wish I could join in for some section of this trip.

But, I will be taking the information set forth and set myself up for a future instalment.

Thanks for putting this together. So anxious to see it play out.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
They sell little hand-held "FRS" radios in blister packs all-day-long in most sporting goods stores and Walmart and such. They cover the GMRS frequencies, but they are very low output radios (2Watts max) and don't require a license. Not what I would recommend for our trip. The BaoFeng UV-5R I mentioned earlier is about 4Watts (adequate); the BaoFeng one I'm using is 8Watts. The Midland hard mounted one I mentioned is 15Watt (more than enough). And they go up in power from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: DevilDodge

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a GMRS radio. Technically, you can do it as cheaply as $25 by purchasing a BaoFeng UV-5R and calling it a day. Technically this lil' radio also covers HAM frequencies (I have my HAM technician license), but we'll be limiting ourselves to the GMRS frequencies on this trip.

View attachment 181952

It comes with a charger. So you'll need some sort of inexpensive inverter to plug into your cigarette lighter to charge it. It wouldn't hurt to purchase a separate battery so you've always got a fully charged spare ready to go. If you can got some sort of mount for your dash so it is always in front of you and readily accessible you'll be happier. I mention the one I use by Rugged Radio later.

Even if you've got a hard-mounted GMRS radio in your vehicle, it is really nice to have a separate hand-held for when you're out of your vehicle. We spent a day trying to get through a muddy section once (with multiple vehicles quite spread out), and I was away from my Jeep a good bit, but I was still "connected" so when they needed a chainsaw or my tire inflator to reseat a bead, I heard the request.

I have an upgraded version of this UV-5R (BaoFeng BF-F8HP - $90.00) mounted on my dash using a Rugged Radio MT-5R "single side radio mount" ($17.00 on Amazon) that works well. I also have a two-way radio speaker attached to the radio (is a speaker and a mic). You can get them from Amazon starting at $15.00 (BaoFeng BF-S112); there are plenty of options for these two-say speaker/mikes. I also have the BaoFeng battery eliminator (between $9.00 and $18.00 on Amazon) so my radio is plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet all the time. I've also got an external antenna attached to the outside of the Jeep and connected to the little radio by a cable (but you could get away with the antenna that comes with the radio). So this is my version of a "hard mounted" GMRS radio. I also have a couple of the hand-held UV-5R radios for use when I'm out of the vehicle. If you are going to get a BaoFeng radio, make sure you're getting an actual "BaoFeng" product and not a knock-off.

View attachment 181954

Midland sells a nice small/compact 15W GMRS package that includes an antenna, and I believe the power cord can plug into a cigarette lighter outlet. This is a popular GMRS radio, and perfectly suited for traveling with a group like we'll be doing:

MXT115 MicroMobile Two-Way GMRS Radio | Midland Radio (midlandusa.com)

They sell a cheaper version that's only a 5Watt radio - skip it - go for the 15Watt at least.

They also have bundles which includes the hard mounted radio and two hand-held radios with chargers. Now through 15 Jan use the code "2021" and get some off on the bundle.

ORMXT115 MicroMobile-GXT Bundle | Midland Radio (midlandusa.com)

These are just a couple of examples if you're looking for a GMRS radio. I'm just trying to present inexpensive options that'll do the job.
i bought the handheld Midland GXT 1000, I hope it will be sufficient for this trip!

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Last edited:
Reactions: T. Stanley

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I will check and see if extra batteries are available, otherwise I have an inverter in my truck I can keep it charged while in the truck and when I have to get out I can take it with me fully charged.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
@armyRN one of the great things about your plans are how to the point and helpful they are. It is very refreshing to see someone focus on basics and cheap rather than the glam and glitz.

I sure do wish I could join in for some section of this trip.

But, I will be taking the information set forth and set myself up for a future instalment.

Thanks for putting this together. So anxious to see it play out.
Thanks for the compliment!

I'm just trying to help folks (based on my experience) who may not know where to start. There's so much stuff out there to weed though to get to what you really need or what will get the job done vs. all the "glam and glitz" stuff out there as you mentioned.

Reactions: DevilDodge

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Hey guys and gals, I just finalized my purchase of gps maps to load on my GAIA gps and noticed they sell official TAT stickers for your vehicle. Here is a link in case you want to put one on your rig. I added one to my order.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Hey guys and gals, I just finalized my purchase of gps maps to load on my GAIA gps and noticed they sell official TAT stickers for your vehicle. Here is a link in case you want to put one on your rig. I added one to my order.

I will definitely order a couple when I order my GPS maps! Thanks!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Another nice thing about the Baofeng radio is that you can use them with an external antenna such as a mag mount. This will extend your range dramatically and has made significant difference on a lot of the trips I've been on. Combine it with a speaker microphone and you can just leave the radio in a cupholder, etc.

If you have the budget and plan to do a lot of these kind of runs I encourage you to invest in the Midland mobile or similar. You'll be glad you did.

What happens is when you get a group with more than a few people and you spread out enough to not eat dust, you often can't hear from the front to the back because of terrain or someone having their radio clipped horizontally on their visor or other such stuff.

Reactions: Downs

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

They sent me one for "free" with my paper map order.

Reactions: T. Stanley

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Here's a magnetic antenna that looks like it would work for GMRS use with a BaoFeng UV-5R (MHz numbers are approximate and rounded to whole numbers). I think I remember reading from someone knowledgeable about HAM radios that they'd rather have a cheap radio and a good antenna vs. having a great radio and a poor antenna.

Link: SMA-F Magnetic Vehicle Antenna UHF for BAOFENG UV5R Kenwood LINTON TYT Radio | eBay

These BaoFeng UV-5R Radios are a dual-band radio; they cover a large range of frequencies(VHF - 138-174MHz and UHF - 400-512MHz). The GMRS frequencies (462 - 467MHz range) are in the UHF range. Most antennas advertised as dual-band antennas are a compromise between the two. This antenna linked above is designed (or advertised) to work in the UHF 400 - 470MHz range. And is dirt cheap. As Neal A. Tew mentioned above, an external antenna on one of these little UV-5R radios can make a world of difference.

Some of the dual-band external frequency antennas (VHF/UHF) aren't designed or tuned (or advertised) to go above 430MHz. It might make a difference.

If you're looking for an external antenna for your BaoFeng UV-5R to use as a GMRS radio, look for one that covers the GMRS frequency range (UHF range) 462-467MHz.

This is the antenna (and spring) I'm using. It is way more expensive than what you would need for a BaoFeng UV-5R, but I got it with plans for later adding a "real" dual-band HAM radio to my Jeep. Still waiting to buy the "real" HAM radio (technically my lil' BaoFeng 8W radio is a HAM radio). I also had to purchase the cable and the antenna mount separately. As far as my BaoFeng radio goes for GMRS use, those little magnetic mount antennas would probably work just as well as what I've got now. But magnets won't stick to my Jeep's fiberglass top...

Link - antenna: COMET-NCG CA-2X4SR Antenna Mobile Dual Band 2m-70cm, CA2X4SR (hamradio.com)

Link - spring: COMET-NCG CA-SPR Antenna Accessories Other, CASPR (hamradio.com)

Overland Adventure.1 (4).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I think I remember reading from someone knowledgeable about HAM radios that they'd rather have a cheap radio and a good antenna vs. having a great radio and a poor antenna.
Absolutely!

Another antenna option, though a bit more expensive than Paul's suggestion is the Tram 1181/1185.
The 1181 is the NMO version
And the 1185 is the mag mount version

You will need an adapter to connect the coax to the radio, something like this.

I run the 1181 on my Jeep and keep an 1185 for the wife's vehicle. The magnet is super strong for such a small antenna.

From a review on the 1181 listing above. The 1185 should be the same. More than acceptable SWR on the GMRS frequencies.
1609565097253.png

Last edited:

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

Just a bit of info to pass on to anyone who has not got a license to operate a GMRS radio (one of the requirements for the TAT ), It is a pretty easy and straight forward process, first, follow this link Why Do I Need a GMRS License & How Do I Get It? | Midland Radio and follow the instructions. If you are like me and never had a FCC license before you have to register for a FRN (FCC Registration Number) make sure you enter a valid email,address, that is how they send your license. Once you register for your FRN, you continue answering the questions until you get to the payment screen, pay your fee of $70, your license will be good for 10 years (license is good for your whole family) and within 48 I had an email notification that my license was ready to download. Hit me up if you have any questions and I will see if I can help you out.
Should soon be $35. Probably in the next 30-90 days.
I'm new to the radio stuff, did the FCC change a ruling or something? If the reduction happens, it's worth the wait for me, the $35 saved can go toward radio equipment.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Absolutely!

Another antenna option, though a bit more expensive than Paul's suggestion is the Tram 1181/1185.
The 1181 is the NMO version
And the 1185 is the mag mount version

I run the 1181 on my Jeep and keep an 1185 for the wife's vehicle. The magnet is super strong for such a small antenna.

From a review on the 1181 listing above. The 1185 should be the same. More than acceptable SWR on the GMRS frequencies.
View attachment 182015
Definitely looks like another decent external antenna option for the little BaoFeng radios. Thanks! It isn't that much more expensive - it is actually quite reasonable.

I mentioned I used a Rugged Radio dash-mount for my lil' BaoFeng radio (that's not going anywhere). This mount requires the belt clip on the radio to use (which I would recommend you keep on your radio anyways). I like it because there's a slot that the belt clip bottom snaps into so the radio isn't coming out unless you unclip it. And since it is open in the bottom, you can use one of those battery delete things, and the cord from the base of the radio to the cigarette lighter outlet is not obstructed. Does require two screws to mount though.

Rugged radio holder.jpg

Link: Single Side Radio Mount for V3 and RH-5R [MT-5R] - $17.00 : Rugged Radios: Headsets, Intercoms, 2-Way Racing Radios and Communication for UTV, Motorcycles, Offroad, Circle Track, Aviation, Racing, NASCAR, Police, and more...

Folded Metal also makes a lil' BaoFeng UV-5R radio holder that can mount anywhere with just one screw. The belt clip is optional as there's a tab at the bottom to hold the radio in place. There is no slot for the bottom of the belt clip to snap into (it works perfectly well with the clip though), so the radio is easily removed by lifting up and out. The tab at the bottom that holds the radio up looks like it would also interfere with the cord if you wanted to run a battery delete. But if you were looking for a way to just have a back-up radio available for when getting out of your vehicle, this would be a good option as it mounts with just one screw - put it wherever you want.

They sell a fatter battery pack for the UV-5R radios. It makes the radio thicker from front-to-back. This radio and fatter battery combo will not work with this folded metal mount (I just tried it in the one I have). It (radio with fatter battery) would work with the Rugged Radio mount above (but not as well as with the regular thinner battery).

Folded metal radio holder.1.PNG

Link: Baofeng UV5R mount | Folded Metal

Last edited:

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

Here\'s an antenna that looks like it would work for GMRS use with a BaoFeng UV-5R (MHz numbers are approximate). I think I remember reading from someone knowledgeable about HAM radios that they\'d rather have a cheap radio and a good antenna vs. having a great radio and a poor antenna.

Link: SMA-F Magnetic Vehicle Antenna UHF for BAOFENG UV5R Kenwood LINTON TYT Radio | eBay

These BaoFeng UV-5R Radios are a dual-band radio; they cover a large range of frequencies(VHF - 138-174MHz and UHF - 400-512MHz). The GMRS frequencies (462 - 467MHz range) are in the UHF range. Most antennas advertised as dual-band antennas are a compromise between the two. This antenna linked above is designed (or advertised) to work in the UHF 400 - 470MHz range. And is dirt cheap. As Neal A. Tew mentioned above, an external antenna on one of these little UV-5R radios can make a world of difference.

Some of the dual-band external frequency antennas (VHF/UHF) aren\'t designed or tuned (or advertised) to go above 430MHz. It might make a difference.

If you\'re looking for an external antenna for your BaoFeng UV-5R to use as a GMRS radio, look for one that covers the GMRS frequency range (UHF range) 462-467MHz.

This is the antenna (and spring) I\'m using. It is way more expensive than what you would need for a BaoFeng UV-5R, but I got it with plans for later adding a \"real\" dual-band HAM radio to my Jeep. Still waiting to buy the \"real\" HAM radio (technically my lil\' BaoFeng 8W radio is a HAM radio).

Link - antenna: COMET-NCG CA-2X4SR Antenna Mobile Dual Band 2m-70cm, CA2X4SR (hamradio.com)

Link - spring: COMET-NCG CA-SPR Antenna Accessories Other, CASPR (hamradio.com)

[ATTACH type=\"full\" alt=\"Overland Adventure.1 (4).jpg\"]182018[/ATTACH]
I appreciate all the radio information from you and Prerunner1982. I'm new to that world and haven't got a clue.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I'm new to the radio stuff, did the FCC change a ruling or something? If the reduction happens, it's worth the wait for me, the $35 saved can go toward radio equipment.
Yes sir, it just came out a few days ago that the fee for a GMRS license is decreasing, unfortunately the fee for a ham license is increasing.

Reactions: Solo Saga