Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thanks for the update @armyRN.

This brings me back to my original thoughts. I will continue to enjoy PA and continue making my own routes.

I have been having the big debate about joining a trail ride. I will keep with my original thoughts on that too.

I think 4 vehicles and no more than 10 people/pets. I also think making a requirement to have discussion nights/days and brainstorm sessions as a requirement to be included on a trip.

Good times

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Thanks for the update @armyRN.

This brings me back to my original thoughts. I will continue to enjoy PA and continue making my own routes.

I have been having the big debate about joining a trail ride. I will keep with my original thoughts on that too.

I think 4 vehicles and no more than 10 people/pets. I also think making a requirement to have discussion nights/days and brainstorm sessions as a requirement to be included on a trip.

Good times
We had a driver's meeting every morning before heading out. Part of it was specifically asking for questions/comments/concerns.

There are advantages to going solo. I like the freedom. Been there. Don't like the thought of being stuck in the middle of nowhere by myself.

So if you were to organize a trip, what would your cap be on your Rally Point? What if five vehicles showed up?

Last edited:
Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Ha. I guess 5 would be fine...but if 6 show up...how you decide who to leave behind.

I guess this is why I wait til after i have went to tell anyone I am going...lol

I agree though. I like to be solo...but another person would give some peace of mind.

I guess my reality is that the part I like about this forum is what happened with @Neal A. Tew @T. Stanley and you. Meeting on the way and doing a section together. And using the knowledge and recommendations to forge my own path and have an idea wear others may be.

I am just brainstorming. Thinking out loud.

I can say if there was 3 guys I would like to take a trip with, you 3 are it.

Reactions: armyRN
TAT 4.0 - Agree with @armyRN that parts of the trail were disappointing in a 4x4. I can certainly see how they would be enjoyable and sporty on a motorcycle as the trail was first intended. But on 4 wheels I personally could have done without everything east of CO.

Which is why I chose to fast forward from TN to Western OK and resumed the trail there. Eventually I met some people also doing the TAT and we've been wheeling together since then.

So far CO has all the thrills a person wants and needs! Nothing like a hail storm while ascending Cinnamon Pass. I'd post photos but they do no justice to being there.

We'll see what UT, ID, and OR have in store. -BP

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
TAT 4.0 - Agree with @armyRN that parts of the trail were disappointing in a 4x4. I can certainly see how they would be enjoyable and sporty on a motorcycle as the trail was first intended. But on 4 wheels I personally could have done without everything east of CO.

Which is why I chose to fast forward from TN to Western OK and resumed the trail there. Eventually I met some people also doing the TAT and we've been wheeling together since then.

So far CO has all the thrills a person wants and needs! Nothing like a hail storm while ascending Cinnamon Pass. I'd post photos but they do no justice to being there.

We'll see what UT, ID, and OR have in store. -BP
I enjoyed the parts of the TAT that followed water. Especially around Tellico in NC (one of my old Jeeping stomping grounds).

Nobody's asked... but what would I do different if I were to do it again? I've had a week or so to think about it.

1. Start skipping early! It took a few days to realize things were getting repetitive (dusty gravel roads with trees on both sides) and we just weren't making the miles I wanted us to make.

2. Better maps to know the paved roads we could take to skip parts of the TAT and later get back on. Fortunately others in the group had better maps than me.

3. MAYBE take my truck instead of the Jeep and trailer (I can sleep in the back of the truck). it would do better on the hills at elevation. Gas mileage wouldn't be that much different between the two vehicles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo Saga

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

I enjoyed the parts of the TAT that followed water. Especially around Tellico in NC (one of my old Jeeping stomping grounds).

Nobody's asked... but what would I do different if I were to do it again? I've had a week or so to think about it.

1. Start skipping early! It took a few days to realize things were getting repetitive (dusty gravel roads with trees on both sides) and we just weren't making the miles I wanted us to make.

2. Better maps to know the paved roads we could take to skip parts of the TAT and later get back on. Fortunately others in the group had better maps than me.

3. MAYBE take my truck instead of the Jeep and trailer (I can sleep in the back of the truck). it would do better on the hills at elevation. Gas mileage wouldn't be that much different between the two vehicles.
Those are great observations/advice nuggets. Per one of my previous comments, I was planning a counter clockwise run, including Sam's Northern Route. But, the more mapping I do, the less I'm interested in the southern mud/dust slog, and the Midwest's flat, straight, dusty run. My real objective is to see Crater Lake, and have no central goal of "conquering" the TAT. I just thought it'd be an interesting route. My thoughts are evolving into just picking up the TAT in CO/NM, and spending more of my time exploring OR and/or ID before returning.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Those are great observations/advice nuggets. Per one of my previous comments, I was planning a counter clockwise run, including Sam's Northern Route. But, the more mapping I do, the less I'm interested in the southern mud/dust slog, and the Midwest's flat, straight, dusty run. My real objective is to see Crater Lake, and have no central goal of "conquering" the TAT. I just thought it'd be an interesting route. My thoughts are evolving into just picking up the TAT in CO/NM, and spending more of my time exploring OR and/or ID before returning.
There's also the Pacific Crest Overland Route - Oregon Portion (track below). It goes by Crater Lake. I did this trip solo a while back - it was fun. Till the fires caught up with me.

For some reason, there's no OR BDR (BDR - Backcountry Discovery Route).

Link: Backcountry Discovery Routes (BDR) Maps & Information (ridebdr.com)

This route goes from the WA/OR border, to the OR/CA border.

GPX viewer

Attachments

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
There's also the Pacific Crest Overland Route - Oregon Portion (track below). It goes by Crater Lake. I did this trip solo a while back - it was fun. Till the fires caught up with me.

GPX viewer
The OBDR, isn’t officially endorsed by ridebdr.com and is discussed why here.

Paul, you have an incoming DM. I don’t want to garble up your awesome thread with my ramblings.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
…So if you were to organize a trip, what would your cap be on your Rally Point? What if five vehicles showed up?
Ha. I guess 5 would be fine...but if 6 show up...how you decide who to leave behind.
The solution to this problem isn’t an easy one, nor is there a right or wrong way to approach this dilemma. I have two solutions that work very well hand in hand.

First every one who RSVP’s to my RPs are sent a link to a spreadsheet where they have to fill out some information. This information includes email addresses, phone numbers, and a way to contact the members. If a person doesn’t feel comfortable filling out the information, then they don’t get the email with the exact starting time and location of the trip. This spreadsheet is how I keep track of how many rigs and people are planning on attending.

Along with the spreadsheet I make several Zoom calls where we discuss all the pre trip planning with all those planning on attending.

Now say I make a trip for 5 rigs and I have a surprise 6th show up, I split the group into two groups… preferably 3 and 3, but a 2 and 4 would also be acceptable. I take charge of group “A” while someone showing leadership abilities takes charge of group “B”. Myself and Group “B” leader maintain communication throughout the day and try to keep the two groups coherent. On a large trip such as the TAT, the two groups getting split up is more than likely bound to happen. So say Group “A” is the slow group, they then use Group B for recon for resources. I make a contingency plan to get the groups to regroup at a designated location for R&R before hitting the trails again hard.

Paul, I think you put together a heck of a trip. I only regret not being able to make the trip. And even more not meeting you when you came through my neck of the woods. I have heard nothing but good things from those that have gone in your trips in the past.

Our mission as members of Overland Bound is first and foremost to promote community. You seam like you have lots to offer OB members in your region. I challenge you to put together a trip for members in your region. I see you aren’t a payed member, so reach out to the member representative in your region to put together an RP for you, or better yet upgrade your membership so you can put on your own trip. The whole reason to put in these trips is to mentor those new to the hobby and instill both etiquette and skills to last a life time. And who knows, you might just learn something from others you are on the trail with.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
...Maybe don't let folks sign-up unless they pay a deposit of $100... $250... more(?), and tell them they'll get their deposit back on day #1?
Maybe tweak the OB software so that signing up for something "invests" a certain amount of member reputation, showing up gets the amount back, fully participating doubles it, and cancelling loses it.
I like this suggestion. Good leaders make good followers and vice versa. A rating system and a fit of “sign up” investment might weed through some chaff, and also provide some info for the planner.

@armyRN this was a very solid and well organized trip.

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

GPX viewer
That's AWESOME Brother! Thank you so much! I was planning to go north from Port Orford along the coast, then turn west a little south of Portland (I have a friend in Sheridan). I could definitely pick this up for what looks to be an excellent loop. At that point I can decide how I'm looking on time for exploring ID.

How much time should I estimate for the PCOR?

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

The solution to this problem isn’t an easy one, nor is there a right or wrong way to approach this dilemma. I have two solutions that work very well hand in hand.

First every one who RSVP’s to my RPs are sent a link to a spreadsheet where they have to fill out some information. This information includes email addresses, phone numbers, and a way to contact the members. If a person doesn’t feel comfortable filling out the information, then they don’t get the email with the exact starting time and location of the trip. This spreadsheet is how I keep track of how many rigs and people are planning on attending.

Along with the spreadsheet I make several Zoom calls where we discuss all the pre trip planning with all those planning on attending.

Now say I make a trip for 5 rigs and I have a surprise 6th show up, I split the group into two groups… preferably 3 and 3, but a 2 and 4 would also be acceptable. I take charge of group “A” while someone showing leadership abilities takes charge of group “B”. Myself and Group “B” leader maintain communication throughout the day and try to keep the two groups coherent. On a large trip such as the TAT, the two groups getting split up is more than likely bound to happen. So say Group “A” is the slow group, they then use Group B for recon for resources. I make a contingency plan to get the groups to regroup at a designated location for R&R before hitting the trails again hard.

Paul, I think you put together a heck of a trip. I only regret not being able to make the trip. And even more not meeting you when you came through my neck of the woods. I have heard nothing but good things from those that have gone in your trips in the past.

Our mission as members of Overland Bound is first and foremost to promote community. You seam like you have lots to offer OB members in your region. I challenge you to put together a trip for members in your region. I see you aren’t a payed member, so reach out to the member representative in your region to put together an RP for you, or better yet upgrade your membership so you can put on your own trip. The whole reason to put in these trips is to mentor those new to the hobby and instill both etiquette and skills to last a life time. And who knows, you might just learn something from others you are on the trail with.
Every leader has their style. But, this resolution fits MY style. At the end of the day, leading a group of "diverse" explorers is never easy.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
That's AWESOME Brother! Thank you so much! I was planning to go north from Port Orford along the coast, then turn west a little south of Portland (I have a friend in Sheridan). I could definitely pick this up for what looks to be an excellent loop. At that point I can decide how I'm looking on time for exploring ID.

How much time should I estimate for the PCOR?
5-7 days. Crater Lake would be a day-long trip around in itself.

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

5-7 days. Crater Lake would be a day-long trip around in itself.
Since visiting Crater Lake is my primary objective, I'll definitely give it a full day. As mesmerized as I am by videos and pictures, I could spend a day just staring into that amazingly blue abyss. So, it'll probably be more, especially if weather is uncooperative.

Cool, 5-7 days on trail is about what I expected.

I really appreciate the information. Now I just have to get there :wink:

Reactions: DevilDodge
Geyser Pass on UT 01 in Utah is closed due to an extinguished wild fire.

Road closure sign at 38.39035, -109.16253 but don’t bother proceeding East on Highway 46 unless you’ve contacted the forestry service for current Geyser Pass conditions 435-636-3500.

No estimated time for reopening. Pass it on! -BP

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Since visiting Crater Lake is my primary objective, I'll definitely give it a full day. As mesmerized as I am by videos and pictures, I could spend a day just staring into that amazingly blue abyss. So, it'll probably be more, especially if weather is uncooperative.

When I did the PCOR - OR portion a year or so ago, I got to Crater Lake, and drove around it. I remember parts of it being extremely windy. Then I was camped outside of the park (Crater Lake) at a campground. Was woken up around midnight by the camp tender telling me everyone had to evacuate - the fire was coming over the mountain. The sky was orange, and vehicles were streaming down the mountain to get away. I got out of there fast. Didn't get to finish the trip because the fire was going in a general SW direction, and that was the general direction I was going to finish the PCOR - OR portion.

I know OR is having fire issues right now. Check before you head out.

Last edited:

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

When I did the PCOR - OR portion a year or so ago, I got to Crater Lake, and drove around it. I remember parts of it being extremely windy. Then I was camped outside of the park at a campground. Was woken up around midnight by the camp tender telling me everyone had to evacuate - the fire was coming over the mountain. The sky was orange, and vehicles were streaming down the mountain to get away. I got out of there fast. Didn't get to finish the trip because the fire was going in a general SW direction, and that was the general direction I was going.

I know OR is having fire issues right now. Check before you head out.
Appreciate the heads up. My planned departure is early Sept. I'm hopeful the fire threat is much less by then. In any case, I will check before I leave.

Glad you made it out of that situation. That must have been frightening.

My friend in Sheridan had a bug out bag permanently in her car last year. A fire was within an hour of the town, and she wore a mask outside for the ash and smoke. She said she could see the glow. Scary stuff.

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

i had 2 areas where i had to re-route due to wildfires one was up near Diamond Lake, OR they had 138 shut down and i found a mvum side road that took me back to my TransAmerican Trail track only to be driving right into the direction of the fire, after running into a FS worker, with his help, i found a safe route to Tiller, OR and eventually back on the trail, the other wildfire was in Utah and I just headed back toward Colorado to avoid the fire area

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
i had 2 areas where i had to re-route due to wildfires one was up near Diamond Lake, OR they had 138 shut down and i found a mvum side road that took me back to my TransAmerican Trail track only to be driving right into the direction of the fire, after running into a FS worker, with his help, i found a safe route to Tiller, OR and eventually back on the trail, the other wildfire was in Utah and I just headed back toward Colorado to avoid the fire area
Glad you're safe.

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I have officially returned to home base, safe and sound. I had planned to spend a few more days hitting a few more trails before heading back to Kansas but the weather had its own plan which overrode my plans. Severe thunderstorms forecasted possible for the next 24-48 hours didn’t sound like fun so I headed east down the mountains.

Reactions: armyRN