Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Got back yesterday from a 3 day camping trip with my two oldest boys. We camped at a state park near Marlington (at the end of the WV TAT track). Boys had a blast on the trip. I discovered a few minor wrinkles in my camp setup that I need to iron out this week to streamline things a bit, particularly my kitchen clean up. Looking forward to Saturday to get this trip started.

My kitchen clean up is a wet wipe followed by a paper towel. But usually I'm eating out of what I cooked in.

View attachment 200842

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Thinner air at higher altitudes allows for the use of lower octane fuel without pinging. The lower oxygen level results in a richer fuel-air mixture. That's why you see 85 octane regular in the elevations (at least here in the West).
It wasn't pinging, it was misfires. The Jeep would be bucking. Yesterday evening I put in New spark plug wires. No misfires today thank God. So either the bad gas finally got burned, or it was the wires. Or back to a lower elevation.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Currently at the Ogallala KOA in NE. Uneventful drive except chasing down an intermittent misfire issue. Don't know if a spark or fuel issue. Looking forward to getting this show on the road!

My iPad isn't showing the overlays well unless you're zoomed out to like 5 miles, and for some reason it isn't showing the waypoints. Android phone is fine.
Just get to Ripley . We’ll tow you back home if need be.
We're running good now. Thanks!

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I look forward to seeing you all in Colorado!

Please understand that our 4WD routes see a lot of traffic from folks who may not understand what a challenge it is to keep these routes open.

I led an event this past weekend, the 3rd Annual Buena Vista June Jam, where we had a guest speaker, Marcus Trusty. Marcus is the founder of Colorado Off Road Enterprises (CORE) CORE and the Board Director of Stay The Trail Stay The Trail | In Colorado, We Stay The Trail®. These groups are instrumental in fighting to keep our trails open and teaching responsible behavior, respectively. For example, part of our SOR TAT route traverses Tincup Pass which is one of CORE's adopted trails. Besides the huge legal battles they are involved in on other trails, they also do trail maintenance (large and small) such as hand shoveling the last several feet of snow to clear Tincup Pass. This is done to keep the ATVs from trying to go around and damaging the trail.

I encourage everyone to visit CORE at CORE and familiarizing yourself with their mission. If you have the means to make a $20 donation or becoming a supporting member ($50), please consider doing so.

Please also read through Trail Tips and Etiquette at Trail Tips and Etiquette | Stay The Trail.

If you spend much time looking around Stay The Trail's site, you're going to see the topic of the OHV permit that we've discussed in this thread. This is very confusing and even more so to outsiders. As I've said before, it is my understanding that nothing along the SOR TAT route requires said permit. However, after hearing Marcus' presentation this weekend and learning more about how the funds are used on Colorado trails, I am starting to promote its purchase whether your route needs it or not. I realize that the time is too short for anyone desiring the permit to purchase it online as @armyRN did. The permit decal is available for purchase ($25.25)where CO hunting and fishing licenses are sold (such as Wal-Mart). It should make for some good souvenir bling on the rig!
UPDATE:

I just purchased the permit at Wal-Mart. Unfortunately these are the actual permits only and not the decal. Both are equal in regards to making one legal on such a trail should you find yourself there, but doesn't provide the visible 'decalage' should you be into that. The decals are only available from a Colorado Parks and Wildlife office. I'll check later to see if there is one along the TAT just in case someone is interested.
We gotta have the bling! I'm all for supporting the organization's that allow me to have fun. Feel free to steer us to a place others can get a sticker/bling when we meet up.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Today was my short scheduled day (311 miles). I'm at the lovely KOA in West Omaha / NE Lincoln Holiday. Finally... trees!

This is KOA #4 on my sprint to WV. A few things I learned or was reminded of when it comes to KOA campgrounds ...

1. They pack you in pretty tight, some KOAs more than others.

2. They are usually full.

3. Folks are friendly.

4. Nice restrooms and showers.

5. You can hear the highway. Sometimes you can see it from your campsite.

Attachments

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
After spending the weekend in the SOR TAT vicinity, I'm reminded of a few attractions in the immediate area that may be found interesting:

Mount Princeton Hot Springs: (the route literally bisects this place)

Whitewater Rafting (one example): (probably a small pavement trip to Johnson Village)

Horseback Riding, Zipline Tours, ATV Tours (one example):

High Mountain 4WD Roads:
Mount Princeton - Colorado Offroad Trail (up and back, 12,100')
Mount Antero - Colorado Offroad Trail (up and back, 13,800')
I've done both in my nearly stock full sized Chevy. They aren't technically hard, but have shelf road exposure that is sometimes intimidating to flat-landers. The second one much more than the first. I highly recommend the first one for mountain noobs if the group is interested.

Reactions: N8FLY

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Good chance Mrprez is correct about the fuel. I remember driving through Utah, the 85 octane - I ALMOST pumped it into my truck but I checked my vehicle manual and it talked about this very issue to not to use lower octane blends. So I had to buy premium octane where 87 was not available for purchase.

@armyRN - on the iPad with the missing waypoints issue, try this... Open the Saved folder and scroll down to any one of the TAT waypoints. To the far right of each waypoint is a circle with a downward facing chevron (arrow). Click the circle chevron and a menu will appear. In the menu click "Show on Main Map" and that has always worked to force all the waypoints in that folder to appear.

You'll probably have to use that waypoint trick for each TAT track folder since the entire journey is broken up into different folders.

I have no advice for the tracks not appearing while you are zoomed farther out. -BP
How do i find the "Saved" folder? I'm not an apple expert... barely a novice.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
We gotta have the bling! I'm all for supporting the organization's that allow me to have fun. Feel free to steer us to a place others can get a sticker/bling when we meet up.
CPW office in Salida is right on the route.

Reactions: M Rose

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Good chance Mrprez is correct about the fuel. I remember driving through Utah, the 85 octane - I ALMOST pumped it into my truck but I checked my vehicle manual and it talked about this very issue to not to use lower octane blends. So I had to buy premium octane where 87 was not available for purchase.
85 octane at elevation works better for me than 87 at sea level. I remember the last time I drove to Alabama my truck started pinging again. I was startled because I hadn't heard it in years. My point is not to be afraid of the 85 octane out west.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
How do i find the "Saved" folder? I'm not an apple expert... barely a novice.
@armyRN Here's a link to read about the Gaia app menus on the iPad - Gaia GPS for iPad Users.

It shows you how to reveal the Saved data folder. I'm using an iPhone which is a different layout so the link above will help.
That worked! I just clicked a thousand little chevrons, so the waypoints show up now. It's all about knowing where to click to get where you want.

Last edited:

MDV Hank

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Islamorada, FL, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Stark
Member #

Today was my short scheduled day (311 miles). I'm at the lovely KOA in West Omaha / NE Lincoln Holiday. Finally... trees!

This is KOA #4 on my sprint to WV. A few things I learned or was reminded of when it comes to KOA campgrounds ...

3. Folks are friendly.

Since you are retired military keep the base campgrounds in mind they are much cheaper and more secure. I use the app. C-RV Military . I look forward to following the trip.

Zombie

Local Expert Virginia, USA
Investor

Advocate III

Richmond, VA USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZTU
85 octane at elevation works better for me than 87 at sea level. I remember the last time I drove to Alabama my truck started pinging again. I was startled because I hadn't heard it in years. My point is not to be afraid of the 85 octane out west.
I believe I'm the only diesel vehicle, a 1994 Toyota LandCruiser 70 series imported from Japan. Any insight on diesel performance? I am bringing a cetane enhancer additive with me that should help.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP

3. Folks are friendly.

Since you are retired military keep the base campgrounds in mind they are much cheaper and more secure. I use the app. C-RV Military . I look forward to following the trip.
I'll check out that app. Thanks.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I believe I'm the only diesel vehicle, a 1994 Toyota LandCruiser 70 series imported from Japan. Any insight on diesel performance? I am bringing a cetane enhancer additive with me that should help.
I'm no help. My last diesel was a 1981 Olds Cutlass with the 350 CI diesel that was a converted gas engine. Probably one of the worst engines ever made. LOL

We had a one of the new Jeep diesels this weekend at June Jam. That thing was sweet.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
At the nice KOA in Lebanon OH - the KOAs worked out well. I‘m about 175 miles from Ripley , so I’ll get there tomorrow on the early side. Gotta find a place in Ripley to do laundry, and replenish some foodstuffs. The only things I forgot to pack were a couple washcloths and a hand towels which I already bought on day #2.

Today‘s theme was rain. Guess it helped wash the farm country bug splatters off the Jeep. Not raining at the campsite, hopefully it will stay that way.

I‘ll start seeing you guys possibly starting tomorrow!

Attachments

Last edited: