Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I just received a notification that a new accessory/mod is available for those of you who have the GoPro Hero 9 Black camera. It is a door modification that allows you to attach an external power source (power brick/charger) using the supplied cable so you can basically shoot until your memory card fills up or your power bank depletes. I ordered one already and once I receive it I will be testing to see how long I can film at 5k with a 128GB memory card and a 20000 mAh power bank. I had been searching for a way to extend the battery life as it always seems to drain way too quickly.
44DBD889-C7AB-4480-88FF-F68E5415325F.jpeg

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Ok... I'm about all packed and ready to go. I leave tomorrow (Friday, 4 June) heading east from the SW corner of WA to WV (2500 highway-miles away!). All I've got left to pack/put in the Jeep really is my toiletries case (cause I'll be using some of the stuff in the morning), iPad, and I'll pack the cooler at the last minute after the trailer's hooked-up to the Jeep. Then I'll make sure all the electronics are turned on to where I want them, kiss the wife good-bye, and I'm off! I hope to hit the road about 0800. Next stop, Boise ID at a KOA for the night (and KOAs every night till I get to Ripley). I'll get to Ripley on the 10th. Other than prescription meds (got'm), there's nothing that if I forgot it I can't pick-up along the way. As usual, if anything I'm overpacked.

I've been gone for six (or more) months up to a year or so at-a-time before (Iraq, Afghanistan... fun stuff), but it has been a while since I've been gone for more than a month (especially since I retired from the Army). This trip'll be about two months away from home.

One thing I've been doing getting ready is unsubscribing from a bunch of things I get in my email. It is amazing how many email mailing lists you get on after a while. I'm usually on my computer a couple times a day so it was no big deal to just check a bunch of boxes and hit "delete", but since I'll be overlanding these next few months with intermittent email access (woo hoo!), I don't want to check it when I do get a chance and find out I've got hundreds of emails to sift through.

How's everyone else doing getting ready for our rendezvous?

Last edited:

N8FLY

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Fredericksburg, VA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
M
Member #

I regret that I will have to change my status to "not going" on this trip. I do appreciate everything I learned from all of you while preparing for this trip, and I hope to make one like it in the near future. Too many "life happens" events recently and the Jeep is not ready.

@armyRN, a special thanks to you for putting this trip together, all the guidance, rules, and expectations set out in advance. All this information has been a great tool to help prep for when I can get out there on the trail. I hope you do another trip like this in the future.

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I just received a notification that a new accessory/mod is available for those of you who have the GoPro Hero 9 Black camera. It is a door modification that allows you to attach an external power source (power brick/charger) using the supplied cable so you can basically shoot until your memory card fills up or your power bank depletes. I ordered one already and once I receive it I will be testing to see how long I can film at 5k with a 128GB memory card and a 20000 mAh power bank. I had been searching for a way to extend the battery life as it always seems to drain way too quickly.
View attachment 200177
well I got my pass through door/usb cable and found some issues immediately. If you have a battery in the battery bay, and you connect your power bank, it automatically initiates the charge cycle for the battery and the camera shut off within an hour which is approximately how long my batteries had been lasting during a recording session. Taking the battery out of the battery bay and attaching the power bank yielded much better results. It recorded for just over 4 hours until my memory card filled up. I could record 3 128GB memory cards on 1 charge of my 20,000 mAh power bank but then it takes approximately 10.5 hours for a full recharge using a 10w charger or 20 hours to recharge using a 5w charger. Seeing that as an issue, I contacted GoPro support and asked if you could plug the USB cable into a cigarette lighter power port with a USB adapter and they said as long as it was a 5w 2A adapter it should work fine. I am now on the hunt for a compatible adapter.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I regret that I will have to change my status to "not going" on this trip. I do appreciate everything I learned from all of you while preparing for this trip, and I hope to make one like it in the near future. Too many "life happens" events recently and the Jeep is not ready.

@armyRN, a special thanks to you for putting this trip together, all the guidance, rules, and expectations set out in advance. All this information has been a great tool to help prep for when I can get out there on the trail. I hope you do another trip like this in the future.
Bummer. Hopefully next time.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Day 1, Longview WA to Meridian ID. Pretty uneventful drive. Jeep is working hard being loaded down pulling a trailer at highway speeds at 3000 to 4000 ft altitude.

Packed in tight at the KOA, but it is just a safe place to sleep with nice restrooms.

Attachments

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

I am finishing up just a few last minute supply items, and a few tweaks to the storage and I should be all ready to roll. I have a pile of my equipment lined up in the garage. Will do an exercise in the next 48hrs where I load everything, check fit and run the checklist on final items. One last minute shakedown before I plan to depart on Friday afternoon for WV rally-point. Taking the "minimalist" approach as much as possible...cause I know every town USA has what I might need or forgot. Looking forward to seeing you all in just 7 days. Travel safe and stay well! #AdventureAhead

No_Pavement_Pls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SE Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Lampmann
Member #

Ok... I'm about all packed and ready to go. I leave tomorrow (Friday, 4 June) heading east from the SW corner of WA to WV (2500 highway-miles away!). All I've got left to pack/put in the Jeep really is my toiletries case (cause I'll be using some of the stuff in the morning), iPad, and I'll pack the cooler at the last minute after the trailer's hooked-up to the Jeep. Then I'll make sure all the electronics are turned on to where I want them, kiss the wife good-bye, and I'm off! I hope to hit the road about 0800. Next stop, Boise ID at a KOA for the night (and KOAs every night till I get to Ripley). I'll get to Ripley on the 10th. Other than prescription meds (got'm), there's nothing that if I forgot it I can't pick-up along the way. As usual, if anything I'm overpacked.

I've been gone for six (or more) months up to a year or so at-a-time before (Iraq, Afghanistan... fun stuff), but it has been a while since I've been gone for more than a month (especially since I retired from the Army). This trip'll be about two months away from home.

One thing I've been doing getting ready is unsubscribing from a bunch of things I get in my email. It is amazing how many email mailing lists you get on after a while. I'm usually on my computer a couple times a day so it was no big deal to just check a bunch of boxes and hit "delete", but since I'll be overlanding these next few months with intermittent email access (woo hoo!), I don't want to check it when I do get a chance and find out I've got hundreds of emails to sift through.

How's everyone else doing getting ready for our rendezvous?

Well we have a room full of gear waiting to be packed up in separate piles for Mon /Tues. Also some stuff in the garage. I will normally pack and repack a couple of times finding the best place for items. Put the awning and RTT on the rack this weekend.
Currently on schedule to hit the road on Thursday morning !!

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Currently at the Ogallala KOA in NE. Uneventful drive except chasing down an intermittent misfire issue. Don't know if a spark or fuel issue. Looking forward to getting this show on the road!

My iPad isn't showing the overlays well unless you're zoomed out to like 5 miles, and for some reason it isn't showing the waypoints. Android phone is fine.

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
Might be the fuel. They use an 85 octane there in corn world. They call it regular.

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Upstate South Carolina, SC, USA
First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
Currently at the Ogallala KOA in NE. Uneventful drive except chasing down an intermittent misfire issue. Don't know if a spark or fuel issue. Looking forward to getting this show on the road!

My iPad isn't showing the overlays well unless you're zoomed out to like 5 miles, and for some reason it isn't showing the waypoints. Android phone is fine.
Just get to Ripley . We’ll tow you back home if need be.

Good chance Mrprez is correct about the fuel. I remember driving through Utah, the 85 octane - I ALMOST pumped it into my truck but I checked my vehicle manual and it talked about this very issue to not to use lower octane blends. So I had to buy premium octane where 87 was not available for purchase.

@armyRN - on the iPad with the missing waypoints issue, try this... Open the Saved folder and scroll down to any one of the TAT waypoints. To the far right of each waypoint is a circle with a downward facing chevron (arrow). Click the circle chevron and a menu will appear. In the menu click "Show on Main Map" and that has always worked to force all the waypoints in that folder to appear.

You'll probably have to use that waypoint trick for each TAT track folder since the entire journey is broken up into different folders.

I have no advice for the tracks not appearing while you are zoomed farther out. -BP

Last edited by a moderator:

Contributor I

Charleston, WV, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Whoolery
Member #

Got back yesterday from a 3 day camping trip with my two oldest boys. We camped at a state park near Marlington (at the end of the WV TAT track). Boys had a blast on the trip. I discovered a few minor wrinkles in my camp setup that I need to iron out this week to streamline things a bit, particularly my kitchen clean up. Looking forward to Saturday to get this trip started.

PXL_20210604_182820377.jpg

Zombie

Local Expert Virginia, USA
Investor

Advocate III

Richmond, VA USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZTU
Hey @armyRN the TAT goes right through Statts Mill campground! Maybe I could get a little extra sleep on Sat and you could honk when you go by...:)

I hope you're having a great drive. I'm all set. Front wheel bearings replaced, new fuel and air filter, oil change and some minor maintenance. Of course I have spare fan and alternator belts and fluids. I only have the water Jerry can, food crates and clothes dry bag left to load into the LandCruiser.

My son got a summer job so he's not coming. Mixed emotions there, but I promised we could go on a shorter trip in the fall. I'm thinking the Southwest...

See you all soon!

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Might run into these guys:

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Might be the fuel. They use an 85 octane there in corn world. They call it regular.
I used to have a good bit of pinging when on grades with a load on the lowest octane in the Southeast (87?), but never experience pinging with the 85 octane in CO. Must be an altitude thing.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Thinner air at higher altitudes allows for the use of lower octane fuel without pinging. The lower oxygen level results in a richer fuel-air mixture. That's why you see 85 octane regular in the elevations (at least here in the West).

Got back yesterday from a 3 day camping trip with my two oldest boys. We camped at a state park near Marlington (at the end of the WV TAT track). Boys had a blast on the trip. I discovered a few minor wrinkles in my camp setup that I need to iron out this week to streamline things a bit, particularly my kitchen clean up. Looking forward to Saturday to get this trip started.

View attachment 200842
What kind of road hazards did you discover?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I look forward to seeing you all in Colorado!

Please understand that our 4WD routes see a lot of traffic from folks who may not understand what a challenge it is to keep these routes open.

I led an event this past weekend, the 3rd Annual Buena Vista June Jam, where we had a guest speaker, Marcus Trusty. Marcus is the founder of Colorado Off Road Enterprises (CORE) CORE and the Board Director of Stay The Trail Stay The Trail | In Colorado, We Stay The Trail®. These groups are instrumental in fighting to keep our trails open and teaching responsible behavior, respectively. For example, part of our SOR TAT route traverses Tincup Pass which is one of CORE's adopted trails. Besides the huge legal battles they are involved in on other trails, they also do trail maintenance (large and small) such as hand shoveling the last several feet of snow to clear Tincup Pass. This is done to keep the ATVs from trying to go around and damaging the trail.

I encourage everyone to visit CORE at CORE and familiarizing yourself with their mission. If you have the means to make a $20 donation or becoming a supporting member ($50), please consider doing so.

Please also read through Trail Tips and Etiquette at Trail Tips and Etiquette | Stay The Trail.

If you spend much time looking around Stay The Trail's site, you're going to see the topic of the OHV permit that we've discussed in this thread. This is very confusing and even more so to outsiders. As I've said before, it is my understanding that nothing along the SOR TAT route requires said permit. However, after hearing Marcus' presentation this weekend and learning more about how the funds are used on Colorado trails, I am starting to promote its purchase whether your route needs it or not. I realize that the time is too short for anyone desiring the permit to purchase it online as @armyRN did. The permit decal is available for purchase ($25.25)where CO hunting and fishing licenses are sold (such as Wal-Mart). It should make for some good souvenir bling on the rig!

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I look forward to seeing you all in Colorado!

Please understand that our 4WD routes see a lot of traffic from folks who may not understand what a challenge it is to keep these routes open.

I led an event this past weekend, the 3rd Annual Buena Vista June Jam, where we had a guest speaker, Marcus Trusty. Marcus is the founder of Colorado Off Road Enterprises (CORE) CORE and the Board Director of Stay The Trail Stay The Trail | In Colorado, We Stay The Trail®. These groups are instrumental in fighting to keep our trails open and teaching responsible behavior, respectively. For example, part of our SOR TAT route traverses Tincup Pass which is one of CORE's adopted trails. Besides the huge legal battles they are involved in on other trails, they also do trail maintenance (large and small) such as hand shoveling the last several feet of snow to clear Tincup Pass. This is done to keep the ATVs from trying to go around and damaging the trail.

I encourage everyone to visit CORE at CORE and familiarizing yourself with their mission. If you have the means to make a $20 donation or becoming a supporting member ($50), please consider doing so.

Please also read through Trail Tips and Etiquette at Trail Tips and Etiquette | Stay The Trail.

If you spend much time looking around Stay The Trail's site, you're going to see the topic of the OHV permit that we've discussed in this thread. This is very confusing and even more so to outsiders. As I've said before, it is my understanding that nothing along the SOR TAT route requires said permit. However, after hearing Marcus' presentation this weekend and learning more about how the funds are used on Colorado trails, I am starting to promote its purchase whether your route needs it or not. I realize that the time is too short for anyone desiring the permit to purchase it online as @armyRN did. The permit decal is available for purchase ($25.25)where CO hunting and fishing licenses are sold (such as Wal-Mart). It should make for some good souvenir bling on the rig!
UPDATE:

I just purchased the permit at Wal-Mart. Unfortunately these are the actual permits only and not the decal. Both are equal in regards to making one legal on such a trail should you find yourself there, but doesn't provide the visible 'decalage' should you be into that. The decals are only available from a Colorado Parks and Wildlife office. I'll check later to see if there is one along the TAT just in case someone is interested.

Reactions: Zombie