Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
There's a whole thread dedicated to these spare tire bags on the Expedition Portal:

Link: Swing-Out Trash Bags | Expedition Portal

It is an older thread, but recently the links were updated for some of the options. The thread is also a little harsh on the Trasharoos (and not undeserved - just sayin').

I've been happy with my Trasharoo. The black color has faded, but it is still perfectly usable. When not overlanding, I keep it stored in the shop.

That All-Top one from Amazon looks very similar to the Trasharoo. Review seem very good on it too. Nice color selection.

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
So yesterday when we were talking about the Trasharoo bags, I bounced over to their website to just check-them-out (its been a while since I was on their site). The spare tire bags are only $48.00. And while there I happened to see this on their site:

Link: Overland Junk Drawer (3dcartstores.com)

I thought "That might be something I could use". Seems like when I go on an adventure I've always got some sort of cardboard box on the passenger seat with smaller containers inside it to hold stuff (CDs, snacks, notebooks, maps, etc.). I thought this might be a better way to organize things for a long trip like the TAT that I want within reach.

But I figured I better think about it first... don't want to go making an impulse buy at the last minute just before a long trip.

Who am I kidding... I got an email that it already shipped; should be here next Wednesday.

An overlanding trip is always a good excuse to buy more gear or upgrade what you've already got (or do those repairs or fix-its you've been meaning to do but haven't got around to doing). Just don't go crazy at the last minute making large purchases or starting major projects on your vehicle.

Last edited:

Zombie

Local Expert Virginia, USA
Investor

Advocate III

Richmond, VA USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZTU
So yesterday when we were talking about the Trasharoo bags, I bounced over to their website to just check-them-out (its been a while since I was on their site). The spare tire bags are only $48.00. And while there I happened to see this on their site:

I thought "That might be something I could use". Seems like when I go on an adventure I've always got some sort of cardboard box on the passenger seat with smaller containers inside it to hold stuff (CDs, snacks, notebooks, maps, etc.). I thought this might be a better way to organize things for a long trip like the TAT that I want within reach.

But I figured I better think about it first... don't want to go making an impulse buy at the last minute just before a long trip.

Who am I kidding... I got an email that it already shipped; should be here next Wednesday.

An overlanding trip is always a good excuse to buy more gear or upgrade what you've already got (or do those repairs or fix-its you've been meaning to do but haven't got around to doing). Just don't go crazy at the last minute making large purchases or starting major projects on your vehicle.
I saw that too and almost bought it! My wife says overlanding is just "Guys Bloomingdale's".

Your advice about not doing anything new right before a big trip is good. I used to race ironman triathlons and we had the same rule. I broke that rule once and ended up in the hospital when I tried the latest greatest hydration snake oil during a race.

So this week one wheel bearing needs to be repacked, all fluids checked, oil change, radiator flush and safety check. Spare fuel, oil and air filters, fan, alternator and compressor belts should arrive from Japan.

I'm going on my final shakedown run next weekend with a bunch of overland bound people.

I really need to stop ordering stuff off of Amazon...

N8FLY

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Fredericksburg, VA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
M
Member #

I ordered the Trasharoo...thank you for the recommendation! They were out of stock so I grabbed it on Amazon. I saw the Overland Junk Drawer and almost bought it. Then I realized I'm quickly falling into the trap of ordering way too much stuff. :)

And yes, I am right in the middle of several projects on the Jeep trying to get it ready. I sure wish I saw this trip way back in December!

Anyway, to be realistic, I'm going to have to ask you to consider me a strong "maybe" for making this trip. I'll know more in about a week.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

N8FLY

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Fredericksburg, VA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
M
Member #

@armyRN - I received my TAT maps (GPX files) and have uploaded them to my GAIA. I'm able to navigate GAIA pretty well, but am still learning. Are you just leaving the files as tracks, or converting them to routes? Or does it matter? Thanks!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
The progress is a ton of fun! A week and a half ago the back of my Jeep was just stock. Now it has a new bumper, tire carrier, and place for a jerry can, hi lift jack, and propane tank! Oh and some rear lighting as well. :)
View attachment 199438
Welcome to overloading, er, overlanding!

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
@armyRN - I received my TAT maps (GPX files) and have uploaded them to my GAIA. I'm able to navigate GAIA pretty well, but am still learning. Are you just leaving the files as tracks, or converting them to routes? Or does it matter? Thanks!
I left them as is.

Reactions: N8FLY

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
The progress is a ton of fun! A week and a half ago the back of my Jeep was just stock. Now it has a new bumper, tire carrier, and place for a jerry can, hi lift jack, and propane tank! Oh and some rear lighting as well. :)
View attachment 199438
Nice.

Afghanistan - been there, done that. And twice to Iraq.

Reactions: N8FLY and Mrprez

N8FLY

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Fredericksburg, VA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
M
Member #

View attachment 199438
Thanks Neal! It certainly can be overloading. I’m in too deep to stop now.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
View attachment 199438
I'm just being silly. Feel free to ignore.

Thanks Neal! It certainly can be overloading. I’m in too deep to stop now.
I'm just being silly. Feel free to ignore!

Reactions: N8FLY

Zaroch

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Canton, OH, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Smith
Rules, requirements, & recommendations… I like to put them out up front so there’s no questions about what’s expected of folks; what’s ok & what’s not ok, etc. People don’t like surprises at the last minute – and I don’t want anyone to have hurt feelings before we even get started on day one. Please read posts #1 - #5 (and post #9 - trail etiquette). I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you can’t go along with these, then please don’t sign-up.

Please check back-in on this thread if you registered for any updates, especially as we get closer to the departure date on 12 June 2021. If you're signing-up later in the game (totally cool!) please make sure you read through the whole thread start-to-finish for any important information that might be posted in there somewhere.

It would be nice if you do register, to post a little bit about yourself, your overlanding experiences, a description (and maybe even a picture) of your rig, and why you want to run the TAT.

Vehicle Requirements & Expectations:

Vehicles should be in good working order, with 4WD or AWD and decent ground clearance. We will be driving thousands of miles total across multiple states over four to five weeks, and much of it is off-pavement (figure rocks, mud, and some water crossings in places). That means cooling system is working well and not leaking, hoses are good, ignition is running strong, battery & wiring are well secured, fluids are relatively fresh, brakes are in good working condition, U-Joints are good, etc.; and any known issues have been fixed before the meet-up day. This should be for any Overlanding trip you're planning on participating with, not just this one.

Tires should have plenty of tread on them and be in a good safe condition - preferably not street tires but instead AT or MT tires. All vehicles must have a full matching size, mounted matching size spare tire with adequate tread on a matching sized rim (no temporary spares even if they are of a matching size). Plug kits are great (I've got one), but they only go so far, and are not a substitute for a full-size, matching spare tire and rim. So if you’re buying larger tires for your vehicle, you need five of them (four plus one for the matching-sized spare tire).

Vehicles must have strong tow-points or recovery points (like tow hooks or D-rings) front & rear (a 2" receiver also counts as a tow-point - and they do sell front mounted hitches with 2" receivers for some vehicles - check out e-trailer as a starting point). Those bent wire-looking hoop things welded under some vehicles used to tie them down from the factory for transport are not tow-points or recovery points. Even the best set-up overland vehicle sometimes needs to give or receive a little tug to get over/through an obstacle - there's no shame in needing a tug sometimes. Using a trailer hitch tow ball as a tow-strap attachment point is dangerous - preferred (and simplest) is a D-ring attached to a 2" receiver bracket (not the one from Harbor Freight). I think most newer vehicles commonly used for overlanding nowadays have tow hooks up front and a 2” receiver in the rear either as standard equipment or as a factory option. If not, you may have to go aftermarket or custom.

Each vehicle must have a tow strap or recovery strap (not a chain) of some kind strong enough for the weight of their vehicle. Straps must have fabric loops at the ends, not metal hooks (metal hooks are dangerous).

Must have a jack capable of lifting your vehicle to change a tire (does not have to be a high-lift jack). It can be your factory jack. If you’ve lifted your vehicle and installed taller tires, check to see if the jack you have will still go tall enough to lift a tire.

Need to have a spare fan belt(s) for your engine. We can repair a busted radiator hose on the trail; There’s all sorts of crazy things we can do to get you off the trail, but we can't tape together a busted fan belt. Belts are cheap and don’t take up much space; pick one up at any parts store. Worst case scenario buy one at the dealership.

If there is something that frequently breaks on your vehicle, or is a hard-to-find item, bring a spare. If your vehicle requires a special kind of headlight bulb, bring a spare or two. If repairing your vehicle requires a specialty tool (I’m thinking like a large specific-sized socket for removing a front hub) consider purchasing one and having it with you with your tool kit.

Need to have a way to air-down and air-up tires (I just use the backside of my tire pressure gauge to deflate). If you're looking at an air compressor that just plugs into a cigarette lighter, it isn’t strong enough or adequate for trail use - it should either be hardwired into your vehicle, or use clips to the battery post. Ask us for recommendations if you're not sure. CO2 tanks are great (very fast & quiet) until you run out of CO2 (ask me how I know).

Need a GMRS radio (and a license to go with it). Ask me/us if you have questions about specific GMRS radio options.

Link: Why Do I Need a GMRS License & How Do I Get It? | Midland Radio (midlandusa.com)

Vehicle must be capable of traveling at least 150 miles using the gasoline you're carrying. Figure we'll be driving relatively slow and not on pavement; you will not be getting anywhere near your normal highway MPG. Plan accordingly - Jerry cans are your friend. When we stop for gas, everyone fills-up or tops-off (sometimes we might have to take an unexpected long detour, or a gas station in the middle of nowhere we thought would be open might be closed, etc.).

If you're planning on bringing a trailer, think small(er). WWII military-type trailer sized, or a fairly small teardrop-type or expedition trailers are your best bet (best if trailer track width is no wider and roof no taller than the vehicle towing it). Either way, trailers need to have a good, rugged suspension and high clearance underneath, and off-road-ish tires ("LT" series tires preferred at least) with good tread, AND... all trailers must have a matching spare tire. If your trailer is running the same size wheel & tire and bolt-pattern as your tow vehicle's full-size matching spare tire, that's fine. But if not, the trailer must have its own dedicated matching mounted spare wheel and tire. FWIW, my lil' trailer shown below has its own matching spare (mounted on the back of the trailer's tub) as it doesn't match any of my other vehicle's tires. Yeah - that's a glamor shot.

View attachment 181488
I am planning on making a trailer out of a 96 suburban will that be to big you think?

• Wow
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Upstate South Carolina, SC, USA
First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
Good morning fellow travelers. We were thinking the other day on what to do once we reached the end of the TAT in Oregon. I know looking “post trip” and assuming all goes as planned. As East Coasters eventually we will need to make our way back home East, same as alot of you.

So I was wondering if anyone had any trips or adventures planned while on the West Coast....curious.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Another interesting place as a potential side trip is the Great Sand Dunes NP in Colorado. Our route comes within ~60 miles. See what y’all think?

View attachment 199878
View attachment 199876
View attachment 199877
You're getting into my back yard now.

While I'd be surprised if the group wanted that much of a detour, I will mention that the tat route will pass very close to the start of Medano Pass 4WD road which takes you over the small mountain range right into the GSDNP.

To get back on the route one could take either the 4WD road Hayden Pass to Hwy 50 or take pavement over Poncha Pass to Poncha Springs.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Good morning fellow travelers. We were thinking the other day on what to do once we reached the end of the TAT in Oregon. I know looking “post trip” and assuming all goes as planned. As East Coasters eventually we will need to make our way back home East, same as alot of you.

So I was wondering if anyone had any trips or adventures planned while on the West Coast....curious.
The areas around Moab, UT and Ouray, CO are 2 of the most popular destinations in my area of which I have the most experience.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll help any way I can.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Another interesting place as a potential side trip is the Great Sand Dunes NP in Colorado. Our route comes within ~60 miles. See what y’all think?

View attachment 199878
View attachment 199876
View attachment 199877
I just went back and looked at your map. That's the pavement route in. You'd have way more fun on Medano Pass 4wd road and it has big camping area right at the beginning.

EDIT: OR, go in via your pavement route and exit through Medano Pass to get back to the TAT. The big dispersed camping area I mentioned earlier is at the northeast end of the road and outside the Park.

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
You're getting into my back yard now.

While I'd be surprised if the group wanted that much of a detour, I will mention that the tat route will pass very close to the start of Medano Pass 4WD road which takes you over the small mountain range right into the GSDNP.

To get back on the route one could take either the 4WD road Hayden Pass to Hwy 50 or take pavement over Poncha Pass to Poncha Springs.
Maybe you could lead us on this sidetrip, and then get us back on the TAT? Would we need a CO trail pass like I purchased earlier?

Reactions: DevilDodge

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Maybe you could lead us on this sidetrip, and then get us back on the TAT? Would we need a CO trail pass like I purchased earlier?
Woo hoo! I'd be honored!

It would not require the OHV permit, but it would usually require a National Park Pass. That's $25 per vehicle if you're not already holding an annual pass or similar. If you might visit other National Parks on this trip, the annual pass ($80) might be a worthy investment.

Due to congestion we'd like to avoid the weekends and especially July 4th weekend, if possible. (@armyRN Your previous ETA was July 3/4)

I'll be figuring out the best route. For example, if it is a weekend, I'd suggest we go in the back door (Medano Pass) and out the front entrance to avoid the toll booth line. They have a warning that during the peak times of June that there could be a 1-3 mile wait.

I wouldn't count on being able to get us all in the campground, but during the week it might be possible. There are formal dispersed camp sites on the Medano Rd (first come first served), but that would be challenging to accommodate all of us. The big area I've mentioned at the northeast end is ideal, but you don't want to go that far unless you're done with the Park. Camping on the end near the main entrance is problematic, but not impossible.

Our estimated length of stay in the park and ultimately the time of day arrival will help me plan our best route.

Reactions: DevilDodge