Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

First the facts:
I have a Tepui Autana XL. I have it mounted to a Snugtop camper shell with the sportsman package (ups the dynamic roof carrying weight to 500lbs). I use my truck to commute, and I have a low clearance garage.

For the RTT: I couldn't be happier with it. It's a breeze to set up and tear down. It's actually much easier now that I have it on my shell because I can access the whole circumference of the tent by either opening the back doors, standing on the tires or standing on the rear bumper. I've spent years either sleeping in the bed of trucks or pitching a tent (insert jr high giggle here). Now with the RTT, I get a really comfortable nights sleep and also feel all high and mighty (pun intended) like sleeping on the ground is for peasants.

Mounting the RTT: I did my research prior to buying and I knew what it would take. I had a customized shell made with a thicker roof and Yakima racks pre-installed. I don't use the Yakima racks to hold the tent, but I do use the mounting rails to hold my custom built rack. Here it is:
View attachment 26276
It's made out of two pieces of 1-5/8" that mount directly to the Yakima rails, and three 13/16" for the cross bars. I used the 1-5/8" to help clear my shark fin. This whole build was two sticks of 13/16" and one stick of 1-5/8". With hardware and paint it cost around $60.

My commute:
Like I said, this is a daily driver and if my wife takes the subaru, I have to park this in a parking garage at work. So, because my RTT weights 150+lbs, I made this:
View attachment 26280
View attachment 26281
View attachment 26282
View attachment 26284
View attachment 26286
This took (8) 10' 2x4's for the structure and cost about $100 for all the hardware, rope and lumber combined. But it gives me a safe and easy way to add or remove my RTT by myself. This is the key point for me, because I don't want to have to ask my neighbors of friends to come over and throw out their backs every time I want to mess with this.

All-in-all, it's a flippin' investment. My RTT was $2k and my shell was $3k, but I flippin' LOVE the RTT and versatility of it.
Awesome! I like the idea of using unistrut for cross members, very clever, versatile and strong too I'm sure!

And the medieval trebuchet to launch it onto the roof of your truck is pretty cool too! [emoji845] [emoji106] [emoji12]

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 70 K20 Suburban

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

Username Not Found

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oceanside, CA
Member #

The bucket, with seat and lid is in the tent, my wife uses it as well, so we don't leave the tent. The only drawback we have found is the early morning "walk of shame" to empty the bucket. We almost always stay on campsites with facilities making "slopping out" a little easier on the environment, but you sure get a few looks from other campers.
We do the same thing but keep the bucket in the 'downstairs' annex. We use the Double Doodie bags in the bucket though.
This gets rid of the obvious slosh bucket and it just looks like you're throwing away a small plastic bag.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Awesome! I like the idea of using unistrut for cross members, very clever, versatile and strong too I'm sure!

And the medieval trebuchet to launch it onto the roof of your truck is pretty cool too! [emoji845] [emoji106] [emoji12]

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 70 K20 Suburban
Very nice

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: scottp

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

There are definitely pros and cons to both, but Having used my autohome airtop for the last couple years I have been very happy with how quick and easy it is to set up and put away and will probably always have an rtt. Undo three buckles and push up on any part of it and the gas shocks lift it, pull the Ladder out of the tent and it's done, basically reverse the steps to put away except you have to tuck the walls in as you pull it down. About 2 min to set up and 4 to put away. Mine is mounted with 4 easy to get to brackets to Yakima bars, it's pretty easy to unbolt and take off, though it takes 2 or 3 guys to lift it off, maybe a 10 minute process. I considered building a frame with a shelf to back up to and just slide it off but I found that as soon as I took it off a trip opportunity would come up, so now it stays put. I get about 1-2 mpg less with it on but I've learned to live with it since my rig always has enough gear in it all the time that crappy mpg is just a part of my life... The hard shell slides right under low hanging branches, but you have to watch for big ones. I bought a hospital type urinal bottle with a glow in the dark cap for a couple bucks on amazon which works well. Climbing up and down the ladder isn't the most convenient thing to do, but with planning on what you need up there with you and experience I've gotten used to it. I stuck a couple of sticky Rv levels to the side and back of it but I don't spend too much time with this, mostly worrying about side to side and just sleep with my head whichever way is higher. I am probably going to sell the airtop and go with a traditional rtt with a smaller stowed footprint because I have a short bed and it overhangs the cab and doesn't not allow me to mount a cargo rack on the cab using the factory mounts. I will probably miss the hard shell, but with practice I should be able to get quick at setting up a tent style.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I bought a RTT and used it for a few months. But I sold it and went back to a ground tent. I also have a hammock and rainfly but I haven't figured out how to get comfortable in that yet for a full night sleep. This is only from my experience. I notice some say it is easy setup/tear-down, but not in my experience.

Pro:
  • Gets you off the ground and away from roaming nocturnal animals
Cons:
  • Difficult to setup (I'm short and the tent was mounted on my cap)
  • Once it's up, you need to tear down camp to move your truck
  • Only level if your truck is
  • Rain/dew runs off the rainfly directly in line with the ladder
  • Less clearance above your truck
  • Heavy and difficult to remove if you need to
  • Expensive
  • Can't stand up in a RTT
  • Have to carry the dog up the ladder
  • More complicated to store dirty/muddy shoes
I thought about buying a trailer and building an adventure trailer. But that also has cons. The added expense of buying and building the trailer, having to tow a trailer, no place to park it when I'm at home (I live in the city). The pro: it gets the RTT off your truck.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I agree with your assessment but for the prospective RTT buyer, here are some tips regarding the cons mentioned.

Note that this is relative to a family ground tent -- I only use the RTT when i bring my family with me. And I think that is the important part why this just works for me. When it's just me, i either sleep in my single tent, or hammock or inside the Jeep -- in this case I prefer minimalism and will definitely hate the RTT.
Cons:
  • Difficult to setup (I'm short and the tent was mounted on my cap)
I am short too, and it does involve a bit of getting up and down the sliders to fit the cover. It takes a while to figure out the most efficient way to setup/teardown. In relation to my family tent, the RTT is way easier.
  • Once it's up, you need to tear down camp to move your truck
I set the RTT right before we sleep, keeps the truck mobile. It won't be a quick getaway though once it is setup. If I am staying in just one location -- I will NOT use a RTT unless there is a trailer involved.
  • Only level if your truck is
True. But in my experience you can't easily level the ground with a ground tent. Not to mention finding a big enough spot for my family tent. Not a problem for established campsites but dispersed camping, I will have better chances of sleeping on a flat surface.
  • Rain/dew runs off the rainfly directly in line with the ladder
Based on tent design. Mine has the cover over the ladder.
  • Less clearance above your truck
True. It's easily a foot high. My Plano boxes are about the same. Both will cause issue with clearance and MPG. For technical offroading, it sucks -- especially if you have to deal with thick vegetation.
  • Heavy and difficult to remove if you need to
True. I wish I have a tall garage so mine stays up unless I know i won't be using it long.
  • Expensive
I bought cheap (TuffStuff) and there are other cheap options as well. Either way, this is definitely a true statement since I have to have my Gobi Rack to get an RTT up there.
  • Can't stand up in a RTT
Yeah, i really use it for sleeping. Though my kids are small enough they use it as a playground.
  • Have to carry the dog up the ladder
Not the same, but I did have to carry my kids down the ladder when we got a lightning storm to get us inside the Jeep. This is the biggest issue i have with RTT. I don't want to be there when there's lightning around. To be fair, I'd probably go in the truck as well even if we were in a ground tent.
  • More complicated to store dirty/muddy shoes
About the same as my ground tent, i got a welcome mat where the shoes go. The ladder stays clean so we don't track sand/dirt... Though really no matter what I do, kids will track dirt in the tent.

----

I guess what i am showing here is that the pros and cons to whatever setup you end up with, really depends on how you want to use it. For that reason, I have a hammock, single and family tent, and the RTT. And finally i can sleep in the Jeep if i really feel lazy.

Last edited:

DMill556

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Dawsonville, Ga
Member #

My only issue with the RTT was trying to change clothes inside the tent, and if your in a campground where you have neighbors you have to get dressed to climb out to use the restroom etc. it is more inconvenient than a ground tent you can stand up in. So I bought a annex room to solve this but now I have a little more set up time involved. I mounted my rtt on a trailer so I don't have any issues with having to take it on and off like the vehicle mounted guys do, and I can setup camp, unhook the trailer and go explore. But for me the pros out weighs the con and I love my rtt.

Reactions: YETI X

Cros

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

VA
Member #

My hard shell tent just became a permanent fixture in my daily driver because I've exhausted my list of friends willing to help me remove it.

Otherwise, I really like it.

I'll admit, it's overkill for me. A pop-up tent with a nice mattress would have been cheaper and easier to transport (lost the space used by 2 Plano boxes, a rotopax gas can, and a scepter water can).

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: dziner

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Tough decision OP, but for what its worth, you couldn't pay me enough to run an RTT. The few pros don't outweigh the cons in any way, at least, for me. Too bad there's not a way for you to try one out before you buy.

Reactions: dziner

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

The bucket, with seat and lid is in the tent, my wife uses it as well, so we don't leave the tent. The only drawback we have found is the early morning "walk of shame" to empty the bucket. We almost always stay on campsites with facilities making "slopping out" a little easier on the environment, but you sure get a few looks from other campers.
Not sure if they sell them we're you are but try putting "Doubledoode" bag in the bucket. Do your #1 or #2. In the morning the bag ziplock shut and you take it to the garbage. No mucking the bucket out. The bags are made by Reliance. They fit perfectly in a standard bucket or lugaloo.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk