Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

I'm just curious about people's experience with rtt's I'm considering getting one but I'm not sure.

For those of you who have one and use it regularly can you share your thoughts on it?

I'm in an old suburban and have room to sleep inside my rig but to do it I have to unload almost all of my gear to make room.

I'm also considering an offroad trailer.

Any insight positive or negative would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

So I have yet to buy a RTT but definitely want to get one. Some of the cons I have heard are that you get there, setup the tent, break it down the next day, rinse and repeat. To me this argument can really only be solved by sleeping in the vehicle like youve suggested. But at that point your doing the same thing with your gear inside of the truck.

Personally I am looking to get a trailer with a RTT because of the size of my family plus two dogs. If we bring everyone then I only have room on the rack to pack stuff if I dont have a trailer.

This will really come down to a preference for you depending on how much you pack and need to use on a daily basis.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

So I have yet to buy a RTT but definitely want to get one. Some of the cons I have heard are that you get there, setup the tent, break it down the next day, rinse and repeat. To me this argument can really only be solved by sleeping in the vehicle like youve suggested. But at that point your doing the same thing with your gear inside of the truck.

Personally I am looking to get a trailer with a RTT because of the size of my family plus two dogs. If we bring everyone then I only have room on the rack to pack stuff if I dont have a trailer.

This will really come down to a preference for you depending on how much you pack and need to use on a daily basis.
At this point I don't even have a roof rack . My plan is to fab up something that goes from the rear to the front and maybe even a little bit past the windshield. I'm in a suburban so I'll have tons of room up there. I'd like a clamshell style rtt. I could have it swing out and cover the rack but I'm thinking about having it swing out over the side or rear... or maybe even over the hood and have sockets in my front bumper to hold the legs. If I do something like that I'd be able to have a "lounge" area up there.

Reactions: Ditcherman

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

The RTTs have Pros and Cons:

Pro:
Less camping gear inside your vehicle. Tent and bedding are all confined to the RTT.
Memory foam mattress. Thicker than a sleeping pad and you cant forget it at home.
Flat floor..... biggest perk for me as I always seemed to find the one root or rock and lay right on it with a ground tent.
Level. Never sleep with your head downhill and wake up with a headache.
Off the ground... less bugs and you dont have to worry about a flooded tent when it rains.

Con:
They are BIG.
They are expensive.
Mounted to a roof, the can make a vehicle top heavy(110-250lbs mounted to your roof).
They require a strong rack.... more $$.
You have to "wash, rinse, repeat" and set up/tear down your tent every night.... even if you plan to camp in the same spot.
Setup isnt as easy as it looks when the tent is 6ft+ off the ground. There is a zipper that holds the cover on and you will have to crawl up and down your rig to get it all the way around.

That being said, I have run a RTT on a trailer for a few years now and LOVE it. We roll into camp, drop/level the trailer, flip open the tent and set everything up. We then leave camp everyday to go wheel/hike/swim/surf/etc and come back to a set up base camp. We went from spending 3-4 nights a year camping to 40+ nights with the tent and trailer. With a wife, kid, and 2 dogs in a JKU.... traveling without the trailer was miserable.
20151018_120214.jpg

GoldenStateAdv

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

I've had my Tepui Kukenam for nearly two years now....

Pros:
Easy, fast, clean setup and tear down
Less clutter in the vehicle - bedding stays in the tent
Private - up off the ground, people can't peak in
SUPER comfortable
No risk of flooding during storms
Critter safe - no creepy crawlers!
QUICK - fast setup and tear down

Cons:
Expensive
Ladder can be dangerous in wet/freezing weather
Travel bag is very hard to use in freezing weather
Nearly impossible to install/remove from vehicle

All in all, I LOVE my RTT, and other then upgrading - I will most likely never ground tent again.

Reactions: gtomike

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

I'm new to this so trying to learn everything I can, but a few things stuck out at me. You said you'd like a clamshell, if you mean something like a James Baroud, they don't 'swing out', what I would call 'unfold', like a soft shell RTT, they just go straight up, unless I've misunderstood you to mean you would build your rack to allow your clamshell to swing out to one side for some reason...that would be interesting.
Unfolding over the hood may have some advantage, but I see great advantage in unfolding over the side, to create a space out of the sun/rain to cook and relax.

I appreciate the comments above that mention the trailer, that is a sure way to sleep level and hold your campsite if needed. I don't want to pull a trailer so I am going to be challenged with leveling the truck, which is described as "doing calculus" here we-designed-best-rooftop-tent-ever-sort . So I may be doing calculus, something I never thought I'd have to mess with again as of 25 years ago.

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

I have also thought long and hard about a roof tent and I have come to the conclusion that at present a ground tent suits my needs better. I have a 10' x 10' safari dome, it is big enough for the two of us to live in if the weather is rough, we can stand up in it. We can use the vehicle as a windbreak, and we usually stay 2 or three nights at each stop over so we don't have to pack it away when we go out. And I don't think it has been mentioned yet but once you get over a certain age you have to get up in the night, boy does being on the ground help.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Pro:
Less camping gear inside your vehicle. Tent and bedding are all confined to the RTT.
Memory foam mattress. Thicker than a sleeping pad and you cant forget it at home.
Flat floor..... biggest perk for me as I always seemed to find the one root or rock and lay right on it with a ground tent.
Off the ground... less bugs and you dont have to worry about a flooded tent when it rains.

Con:
They are BIG.
They are expensive.
Mounted to a roof, the can make a vehicle top heavy(110-250lbs mounted to your roof).
You have to "wash, rinse, repeat" and set up/tear down your tent every night.... even if you plan to camp in the same spot.
Setup isnt as easy as it looks when the tent is 6ft+ off the ground. There is a zipper that holds the cover on and you will have to crawl up and down your rig to get it all the way around.

That being said, I have run a RTT on a trailer for a few years now and LOVE it. We roll into camp, drop/level the trailer, flip open the tent and set everything up. We then leave camp everyday to go wheel/hike/swim/surf/etc and come back to a set up base camp. We went from spending 3-4 nights a year camping to 40+ nights with the tent and trailer. With a wife, kid, and 2 dogs in a JKU.... traveling without the trailer was miserable.
View attachment 22293
That's all good stuff! Thank you for the insight.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

I'm new to this so trying to learn everything I can, but a few things stuck out at me. You said you'd like a clamshell, if you mean something like a James Baroud, they don't 'swing out', what I would call 'unfold', like a soft shell RTT, they just go straight up, unless I've misunderstood you to mean you would build your rack to allow your clamshell to swing out to one side for some reason...that would be interesting.
Unfolding over the hood may have some advantage, but I see great advantage in unfolding over the side, to create a space out of the sun/rain to cook and relax.

I appreciate the comments above that mention the trailer, that is a sure way to sleep level and hold your campsite if needed. I don't want to pull a trailer so I am going to be challenged with leveling the truck, which is described as "doing calculus" here we-designed-best-rooftop-tent-ever-sort . So I may be doing calculus, something I never thought I'd have to mess with again as of 25 years ago.
When I say clamshell I mean the type that unfolds and is "hinged" in the center not hard like a clamshell is. Lol, I guess I could have been more specific.

I use my tailgate at part of my kitchen but the top hatch swings up passed level with the roof so I'm not sure how well that would work as far as creating an area out of the sun and so on.

I'm thinking that a roll up awning would work for that purpose.

Time will tell.

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

I'm in the same boat as the OP. My rig is also my daily driver and I put a lot of miles on it for work. I understand that having an RTT on top of my rig will have big impact on gas mileage.

So, my question is: How hard is it to remove/install an RTT? i.e. could I leave it in the garage and just put it on the rack for trips? Or is this too much of a pita and I should just stick with a ground tent?

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

I have also thought long and hard about a roof tent and I have come to the conclusion that at present a ground tent suits my needs better. I have a 10' x 10' safari dome, it is big enough for the two of us to live in if the weather is rough, we can stand up in it. We can use the vehicle as a windbreak, and we usually stay 2 or three nights at each stop over so we don't have to pack it away when we go out. And I don't think it has been mentioned yet but once you get over a certain age you have to get up in the night, boy does being on the ground help.
Just set a bucket on the ground beside your rig and perform your business from a higher altitude. Lol. Seriously though that's a good point. Also, I can imagine being "sick" and having to go up and down the ladder in that condition. Yikes!

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

I'm in the same boat as the OP. My rig is also my daily driver and I put a lot of miles on it for work. I understand that having an RTT on top of my rig will have big impact on gas mileage.

So, my question is: How hard is it to remove/install an RTT? i.e. could I leave it in the garage and just put it on the rack for trips? Or is this too much of a pita and I should just stick with a ground tent?
Good question... obviously I don't know yet. But I'd guess that one could fab some "quick release" brackets (if they don't already make them) and maybe a pulley system or an atv winch to lift and store it overhead.

Seems doable but not simple.

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

Just set a bucket on the ground beside your rig and perform your business from a higher altitude. Lol. Seriously though that's a good point. Also, I can imagine being "sick" and having to go up and down the ladder in that condition. Yikes!
I hadn't thought about the 3 am "break." I know quite a few guys who, even in ground tents, just have a pee bottle so they don't actually have to leave their tent at all. I guess as long as the tent is tall enough to kneel in . . .

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S

Pro:

Con:
They are BIG.
They are expensive.

View attachment 22293
I completely agree with you on all the points you make. I do not have one yet and would dearly love to get one one day BUT I have two issues.

I leave my jeep in a carport with an average height roof. If I installed the RTT, then I would have to find an alternative, less secure place to park the jeep. I would also struggle to park in parking structures as the ground clearance is usually quite low.

The other issue I have is that since they are so difficult to install, they pretty much become a permanent fixture on top of your jeep. I have not seen any RTTs with quick release systems yet but I am no expert. Besides, I would have nowhere to store it even if it were to be removed when not in use.

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

I hadn't thought about the 3 am "break." I know quite a few guys who, even in ground tents, just have a pee bottle so they don't actually have to leave their tent at all. I guess as long as the tent is tall enough to kneel in . . .
The bucket, with seat and lid is in the tent, my wife uses it as well, so we don't leave the tent. The only drawback we have found is the early morning "walk of shame" to empty the bucket. We almost always stay on campsites with facilities making "slopping out" a little easier on the environment, but you sure get a few looks from other campers.

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

I completely agree with you on all the points you make. I do not have one yet and would dearly love to get one one day BUT I have two issues.

I leave my jeep in a carport with an average height roof. If I installed the RTT, then I would have to find an alternative, less secure place to park the jeep. I would also struggle to park in parking structures as the ground clearance is usually quite low.

The other issue I have is that since they are so difficult to install, they pretty much become a permanent fixture on top of your jeep. I have not seen any RTTs with quick release systems yet but I am no expert. Besides, I would have nowhere to store it even if it were to be removed when not in use.
You could mount the RTT on roof bars rather than a full length roof rack, removing the bars with the tent attached would be a quicker option.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

The bucket, with seat and lid is in the tent, my wife uses it as well, so we don't leave the tent. The only drawback we have found is the early morning "walk of shame" to empty the bucket. We almost always stay on campsites with facilities making "slopping out" a little easier on the environment, but you sure get a few looks from other campers.
Here's an idea... Modify a 7 gallon water container and then the "walk of shame" becomes the walk of "nothing to see here" I'm just refilling my water supply.

Just be sure to never confuse it with your actual fresh water! [emoji51]

Username Not Found

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oceanside, CA
Member #

First the facts:
I have a Tepui Autana XL. I have it mounted to a Snugtop camper shell with the sportsman package (ups the dynamic roof carrying weight to 500lbs). I use my truck to commute, and I have a low clearance garage.

For the RTT: I couldn't be happier with it. It's a breeze to set up and tear down. It's actually much easier now that I have it on my shell because I can access the whole circumference of the tent by either opening the back doors, standing on the tires or standing on the rear bumper. I've spent years either sleeping in the bed of trucks or pitching a tent (insert jr high giggle here). Now with the RTT, I get a really comfortable nights sleep and also feel all high and mighty (pun intended) like sleeping on the ground is for peasants.

Mounting the RTT: I did my research prior to buying and I knew what it would take. I had a customized shell made with a thicker roof and Yakima racks pre-installed. I don't use the Yakima racks to hold the tent, but I do use the mounting rails to hold my custom built rack. Here it is:
20170603_174457.jpg
It's made out of two pieces of 1-5/8" that mount directly to the Yakima rails, and three 13/16" for the cross bars. I used the 1-5/8" to help clear my shark fin. This whole build was two sticks of 13/16" and one stick of 1-5/8". With hardware and paint it cost around $60.

My commute:
Like I said, this is a daily driver and if my wife takes the subaru, I have to park this in a parking garage at work. So, because my RTT weights 150+lbs, I made this:
20170604_135947.jpg
20170604_140911.jpg
20170604_141839.jpg
20170604_141855.jpg
20170604_142444.jpg
This took (8) 10' 2x4's for the structure and cost about $100 for all the hardware, rope and lumber combined. But it gives me a safe and easy way to add or remove my RTT by myself. This is the key point for me, because I don't want to have to ask my neighbors of friends to come over and throw out their backs every time I want to mess with this.

All-in-all, it's a flippin' investment. My RTT was $2k and my shell was $3k, but I flippin' LOVE the RTT and versatility of it.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I'm just gonna mention the quick "bad" ones that popped up from this past week's trail ride.

Bad: It's somewhat permanent. My RTT sits on top of removable crossbar, so 4x15mm bolts accessible by normal size hands. But it is heavy and big enough to remove between trips. I rather not have it there all the time but it is what it is.
Bad: Unless you have a 10ft garage, your parking is limited. In fact, i had an oil change at dealer last night and they had to spot it to get past the garage door LOL.
Bad: On tight trails, I spent quite a bit of time clearing the trail OR else you will be damaging the cover or the tent itself. I find tippiness is not much of an issue as long as you let the weight transfer slowly.
Bad: We got some lightning strikes close by, so we huddled in the Jeep. I don't particularly trust being the highest point.

With that, i plan to leave the RTT at home if i need to go to a pinstripe trail ride (OR avoid it altogether!)

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser