Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Dose any one run a roof top tent on a jeep with a soft top?
Year and model / 2 or 4 door. Pay 1500.00 for my Freespirt rtt, I had the smitybilt xl for about 1000.00. I paid 1300.00 for my Freespirt m49. I put the first one on top but it was bad on fuel mileage and I had to set up and teardown before I went anywhere. I paid 1000.00 for a military trailer and then I did and axle swap and paint. Prices start at 0 and go up, the highest I have seen is 5000.00. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Jimmy Schantz

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Year and model / 2 or 4 door. Pay 1500.00 for my Freespirt rtt, I had the smitybilt xl for about 1000.00. I paid 1300.00 for my Freespirt m49. I put the first one on top but it was bad on fuel mileage and I had to set up and teardown before I went anywhere. I paid 1000.00 for a military trailer and then I did and axle swap and paint. Prices start at 0 and go up, the highest I have seen is 5000.00. Hope this helps.
I have a 2002 Wrangler two door

talt2008

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
Member #

Dose any one run a roof top tent on a jeep with a soft top?
Hey I'm currently deciding what RTT to purchase, however I'm just waiting for my roof rack to ship at the moment, so I wanted to give you a suggestion on the rack. I have a 2door JK soft top only, so rack selection was very limited for me (Most racks on the market seem to be hard top only, or great for light duty items such as kayaks, bicycles, etc.). I ended up purchasing the Garvin Industries expedition roof rack. They make the rack for all Wranglers, so its worth checking them out at www.wildernessracks.com . The only down side is there is some drilling required, but I've come to terms with that. I was between garvin and Gobi, so in my opinion, those are the best 2 rack companies out there. I chose Garvin due to being built in house, small company, I've read great things on their customer service, a deep basket for more versatility, and I love the look of their square tubing

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hey I'm currently deciding what RTT to purchase, however I'm just waiting for my roof rack to ship at the moment, so I wanted to give you a suggestion on the rack. I have a 2door JK soft top only, so rack selection was very limited for me (Most racks on the market seem to be hard top only, or great for light duty items such as kayaks, bicycles, etc.). I ended up purchasing the Garvin Industries expedition roof rack. They make the rack for all Wranglers, so its worth checking them out at www.wildernessracks.com . The only down side is there is some drilling required, but I've come to terms with that. I was between garvin and Gobi, so in my opinion, those are the best 2 rack companies out there. I chose Garvin due to being built in house, small company, I've read great things on their customer service, a deep basket for more versatility, and I love the look of their square tubing
Sounds great would like to see pic of before and after installing

Alaska.hermit

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger II

Wasilla, Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Morriss
Member #

Service Branch
Us Army (retired)
At the moment if I use a tent it is on the ground. Most of the time it is a poncho hooch. 5 bungee cords and a poncho work the best for me.

If my wife and younger kids are out with me then it is a large dome tent.

Dogs are pretty good at keeping bears out of camp, as long as your food is packed up. I am mostly worried about squirrels getting into stuff.

I am seriously looking at a roof top tent for my wife’s TJ, and a truck bed tent for my F150......but we are not ready to buy those just yet.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Never thought about my dog but she is a lab and is very smart !!!! i think i could teach her to climb
a ladder
Good luck! Mine refuses to jump into my lifted Jeep unless he’s really excited. He’s going to be upset when it sits 4” taller in the future between a bigger loft and tire size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geauXplor

Rank 0

Traveler I

After many years of using ground tents, or no tent at all, I recently made the switch to a RTT. My son and I had the chance to use it a few weeks ago on the COBDR and absolutely loved it. Setup and tear down were fairly easy and quick, especially with the two of us doing it. The 3” mattress was surprisingly comfortable.

Driving a JKU, I frankly didn’t notice any real difference in gas mileage or noise with the RTT attached. There were a few sections of the COBDR where I could really tell that I had the extra weight (130 lbs) up top, particularly on the rocky sections when the Jeep would rock back and forth. Also, a minor thing, I won’t be able to park in my garage until I finally decide to take the RTT off, then I have to figure out where I’m going to store it.

The only thing that may turn into a challenge for us will be if we ever take our dog camping with us. Right now that’s not a problem because my wife doesn’t camp, but now that we have the RTT, she is considering giving camping a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I personally have a 6 person Coleman Quick cabin tent that has worked great for years. I have entertained the thought of an RTT but with the size I would need for my better half, our son and I, I just cannot afford it. Maybe someday I will get into the RTT game but for now ground camping it is. Have yet to have any animal issues and an air mattress or Cot is plenty comfy.

Reactions: flyingnome
IMG_6027.JPG

RTT is the best investment we have made.

1. Very quick set up.
2. Water proof hardshell.
3. Stays warm.
4. Great when there is no flat ground
5. I’m sure there is more.

Summit [emoji777] Overland “Find Your Line” /// OB 8010 /// S.C.O.T.A Member - Sent from the Trail!

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

I've been going back and forth with this topic for a few days now and I do believe it really depends on the type of trip you are planning on taking, and to be flexible.

I like the idea of setting up a base camp and then having the truck free to go for a drive, trailing, etc. without breaking down everything. I've never had a RTT setup, so I'm just speaking from personal ground tent experience, and/or sleeping in the back of the truck.

I'm sure our setup will change over time. One thing we've decided is if we go with a trailer rig (Turtleback or Teardrop), it will probably only be used in cases where we are staying multiple days in one location and if back country camping vs. campgrounds, won't be crazy off road trails. Don't want to get to crazy with 4X4 driving and towing a trailer.

Just my thoughts...FOR NOW! lol

talt2008

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
Member #

Sounds great would like to see pic of before and after installing
Hey Jimmy,
Just wanted to let you know I got the garvin rack in yesterday, however the front 2 supports were both driver side, so I couldn't complete the install. Just wanted to let you know I didnt forget about you. I will post back once the install is complete.

Also even though I ordered through a local 4wheel parts to save some money, I contacted garvin directly in regards to the issue. I was completely blown away by their response, as well as they will be sending me a replacement pair of the front supports. Hands down, best customer service I have experienced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hey Jimmy,
Just wanted to let you know I got the garvin rack in yesterday, however the front 2 supports were both driver side, so I couldn't complete the install. Just wanted to let you know I didnt forget about you. I will post back once the install is complete.

Also even though I ordered through a local 4wheel parts to save some money, I contacted garvin directly in regards to the issue. I was completely blown away by their response, as well as they will be sending me a replacement pair of the front supports. Hands down, best customer service I have experienced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app
Cool deal I'll be waiting to hear how it goes

Sent from my XT1585 using OB Talk mobile app

talt2008

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
Member #

Cool deal I'll be waiting to hear how it goes

Sent from my XT1585 using OB Talk mobile app
Just got it installed. The hardest part was the drilling and installing the rear mounting brackets. The basket is 2 front pieces, 2 side pieces, and 8 floor rails. Everything is bolt on, and all the parts were separated so install went smoothly. The only part that was extra was the front fairing (also made out of steel) to cut down on the wind.

Install will be pretty much the same for all jeeps with the exception of the rear supports. The yj and tj will mount from the very back instead of just in front of the tail lights20180807_211303.jpeg20180807_211311.jpeg20180807_211339.jpeg20180807_211323.jpeg

Reactions: Jimmy Schantz

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Just got it installed. The hardest part was the drilling and installing the rear mounting brackets. The basket is 2 front pieces, 2 side pieces, and 8 floor rails. Everything is bolt on, and all the parts were separated so install went smoothly. The only part that was extra was the front fairing (also made out of steel) to cut down on the wind.

Install will be pretty much the same for all jeeps with the exception of the rear supports. The yj and tj will mount from the very back instead of just in front of the tail lightsView attachment 64079View attachment 64080View attachment 64081View attachment 64082
Wow looks better than I thought it would

RMackay

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Africa
Member #

Each to their own I guess. Whatever you currently own or just bought is probably what works best for you. I know pensioners that swear by RTT's and then people younger than me swear by ground tents. In Africa, and I guess most of the world, depending on the trip and destination, that would sway your decision somewhat. I did a 3 week trip back in 2014 with an RTT for the first time, moving from one place to the next every day or two. I sold the RTT when we got back home and bought an RV4 ground tent and haven't looked back. I think in my case, while I had a good quality Hannibal RTT, it was just too much hassle packing it up every time, it had a zipped tarpaulin type cover. Then, as some have already mentioned in this thread, there are the other issues such as climbing up and down (especially at night), trying to change clothes, overall height of rig for parking and storage, packing up for a game drive to return to camp later to set up again etc. For me, it just doesn't work.