Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

We've been camping for many, many years, both for holidays, Scouting and Overlanding.
Over the years we've used a variety of ground tents and roof tents. For us, each has it's merits, depending on the type of trip.
Long term stops - 3 or 4 days or more, ground tents win for us - set up and no need to pack up to take a drive out.
One nighters, on a trip or event, the RTT scores well, quick set up, quick pack up, space saving etc.. etc...
More recently, we've gone back to using a ground tent more often than not, having bought a couple of OzTent RV5s along with various accessories, including a Foxwing awning. We think these give a good all round balance, quick to set up in thier basic format, so good for one nighters, but with all the add ons give a spacious base camp for longer stops. Only down side is the size and weight when packed, but, at the moment, that's not an issue for us, given that we have a LR130, with a 3.5m long roof rack.
But, I still like the RTT for speed and comfort.

Probably been discussed many a time before .....
What's everyone else's thoughts?

Reactions: Jimmy Schantz

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
I like ground tents, mostly because that’s what I’ve always used. Now that we bring the dog with us, a ground tent is a no brainer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimmy Schantz

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Slept black contractor trash bag in the military for 8 years with a poncho liner for warmth. RTT for me and I a can go from full setup to ready to roll in 5 minutes flat. You can laugh all you want, I even put air conditioning in it .

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Drill 2 hole in my rtt and ducted in ac powered by a 2000 Honda generator, added vents. Summers are a lot better on, Wayne's world 2 thumbs up.

peeewhyy

Rank 0

Traveler I

S. Cal
I have had my RTT for about 9 years now and still don't regret it. About 10 years go had some run in with few bears in Yosemite cause or neighbor were new to camping or just didn't care and left their trash on top of the bins. Which was next to our campsites had a crew of bears smack our tents around.. Then the following year up in Yellowstone had some bears destroyed a campsite that was 2-3 sites over.... SO 2011 got an FJ then learned about RTT so I got a hell of a deal on a used one and never looked back. Only use a ground tent if we take the whole family and use the Outback.

LVCoffeeguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

North Las Vegas, Nevada
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Monson
Member #

We love our RRT. Live in Las Vegas and do a lot if traveling for work in our rig. We often just stop for the night at a trailhead or a mountain bike trail and do a quick one night stop to avoid paying for a hotel. It has made it a lot easier to find spots to sleep as well as not worrying about a flat spot. We also have two dogs that I have to help up and down the ladder and I still say it is worth it.

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I’ve never used a RTT so I’m no authority. I’ve also never had something bad happen while I’m camping, but I do try to be ready. Part of the readiness for me is that if something bad does happen I can just drive away.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

The older you get the less you feel like climbing up and down a ladder in the middle of the night to take a leak!

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I stick with a ground tent (or sometimes no tent).

My vehicle is also my daily driver, I don't want to drive around with my RTT on all the time. My vehicle does not fit in my garage with the motorcycles and kayaks, so it lives outside all year (it wouldn't fit in with the tent anyway); that means the tent would be getting weathered and beat up 24/7. My roof space is limited, if I put a tent up there I won't have room for all my fuel, firewood, or other gear. If I am not needing those things, I can roll lighter with a lower center of gravity; when I have my fuel cans on the roof and water cans on the bumper my vehicle handling is best described as trying to wrestle a drunken rhinoceros.

A ground tent is cheap, light weight, and small by comparison. I have a 4 person Coleman tent I bought for about $60. It's a great summer tent with lots of mesh and even a screened porch in case the bugs get too bad. For colder weather or stormy conditions, I have an REI 2-person tent that handles the wind better and has less mesh to let dust in. When I'm on my own, I have a Kodiak Canvas swag (that I have yet to try). This allows me to customize my loadout depending on conditions and need. With a RTT I just have one option - and it's heavy and expensive.

A ground tent also lets me set up a basecamp if I'm going to explore the area for a few days. With a RTT I have to break camp every morning just for a day trip. At some point I would like to get a basecamp trailer with a RTT and all my gear; I could drop it in camp and go play for the day, but also hitch up and be gone in minutes when it's time to move down the road.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Ground tent because I already own them and my big family one takes about 3 minutes to put up then I have room for up to eight people and a nice big dry spot on rainy days. If going solo I use a hammock tent most comfortable thing I've ever slept in in the woods.

I kind of understand the appeal of roof-top tents I just can't get past the cost and how far the stick up past the roof I would rip one to shreds with the way trees hang around here

Merk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Renton, WA
Member #

I enjoy having a ground tent, just based on the simplicity of the whole thing. We've got one action-packer bin that is able to hold it all.. tent, sleeping bags, pads, and pillows.
We execute all proper food storage procedures to ensure that Bears are not attracted to our basecamp, and we carry enough protection in case they do :sunglasses:
Plus.. I have seen enough bears in trees to think they can probably scramble up the side of my tacoma...

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I started out with a canvas ground tent for years back in 1979, then moved in with a Lance Truck Camper for several more years then to a Nash 25ft. 5th Wheel Trailer & now a Overland Trailer w\RTT.

They all have their pro's & con's. My only complaint with my RTT was the mattress, it stinks it's very uncomfortable. I solved that problem with a new mattress, Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Long/Wide (77.6" x 52"). I like the fact of the view you get in a RTT because your up high. The set up time is quick as well as putting the tent a way. I can level the RTT on ground that is uneven or sloped. I feel your warmer in winter camping because your off the ground & in the late spring , summer & fall camping your off the ground from snakes, & other unwanted critters. I like the fact when were camping in a public RV camp ground that RVer's come & ask lots of questions about the RTT especially mounted on a trailer.

My wife is 66yrs old I'm 58yrs old we have NO issues climbing up or down ladder going in or out with the RTT at our age. I find the combination with overland trailer w\RTT to be more of a positive advantage than any other rig I've owned. We both, the wife & I love to hunt & we can get further in the back country than ever before. When I built my trailer, I took a year of planning before I started the build. The build was another 9 1\2 months & this set up has everything the wife & I planned, we feel we have the prefect dispersed camping set up for us.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I’ve never used a RTT so I’m no authority. I’ve also never had something bad happen while I’m camping, but I do try to be ready. Part of the readiness for me is that if something bad does happen I can just drive away.
My rtt is on a trailer. Easy of leaving and get up and go.