Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO
First Name
Reyes
Last Name
Murrieta
Member #

I just ordered the Tepui Ruggedized Autana 3 and an Exped MegaMat Duo LW+ to go inside. Anyone know if I can leave the Exped in the RTT with the factory mattress and close it up? I was planning to use the Exped as a topper, not a replacement, and would like to leave in place full time.
This is the exact setup I have and we have no problem closing it up.

Reactions: TheGrrrrr
B

BBC_lover

I hear that the Zinus Ultima Comfort is awesome if you are willing to do the work of inflating/deflating. It would also be shorter than your RTT. IMO that is a good thing. Your gear could sit on the tent floor instead of the mattress. Haven't tried it myself though, as it is a little too wide for my RTT.

Also, if you deflated such a mattress, I would think that would leave you room for more bedding in the tent to (when stowed).

Last edited by a moderator:

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I’ve upgraded my Tepui Autana 3 with the Tepui “luxury” mattress it’s better but simply not thick enough to solve my comfort issues. Simply adding my old backpacking 2” thermarest below made a huge improvement. I plan to buy the thickest Thermarest or Exped in the spring to fit a new Autana 4 that we are moving into.

I think the hardshell RTT users have it easier than us folding guys when it comes to mattress upgrades and closing the RTT. My ruggedized tent version has more bulk to begin with than most. I don’t feel like I can go the mattress topper route and still close the tent as it’s already a little bit of a struggle just with a couple of compressible down sleeping bags ups there.

Last edited:

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

We also use our backpacking air mattresses in our tent also... that works great for us, we wouldn’t go back. We already had them, so they didn’t cost any more money, and the RTT folds up with them inside. We have the REI brand.

James

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

TheGrrrrr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
I've put together my rig as described previously and it is working out great. I have the Tepui Autana Ruggedized and added the Exped MegaMat Duo LW+ for comfort. With the Exped deflated, a heavy weight flannel sheet set, pillows and a 20lbs weighted blanket, it's tight but closes up without issue. It sleeps as well as my bed at home. The Exped is stupid expensive but worth the scratch.

Reactions: Rolando and xplorr

Dunewheeler12

Rank III

Traveler I

I've put together my rig as described previously and it is working out great. I have the Tepui Autana Ruggedized and added the Exped MegaMat Duo LW+ for comfort. With the Exped deflated, a heavy weight flannel sheet set, pillows and a 20lbs weighted blanket, it's tight but closes up without issue. It sleeps as well as my bed at home. The Exped is stupid expensive but worth the scratch.
What sheets are u using on it

Do u still have the anti condensation mat and factory mattress in it

TheGrrrrr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
What sheets are u using on it

Do u still have the anti condensation mat and factory mattress in it
Yeah, both the anti-condensation mat and factory mattress are in place. I’m using the Pinzon 160 gram Plaid Flannel Sheet set -Queen from Amazon. Just spent 3 nights up in the Bradshaw mountains with low temps around 40f. I noticed that the foam in both the factory mattress and the Exped firmed up some in low temps. My two pillows, also foam based, did as well. It impacted comfort negatively, but not terribly. I was able to keep warm with the flannel sheets and weighted blanket, wearing Carhart thermals.

Dunewheeler12

Rank III

Traveler I

Yeah, both the anti-condensation mat and factory mattress are in place. I’m using the Pinzon 160 gram Plaid Flannel Sheet set -Queen from Amazon. Just spent 3 nights up in the Bradshaw mountains with low temps around 40f. I noticed that the foam in both the factory mattress and the Exped firmed up some in low temps. My two pillows, also foam based, did as well. It impacted comfort negatively, but not terribly. I was able to keep warm with the flannel sheets and weighted blanket, wearing Carhart thermals.
Nice do u leave all that gear in the tent

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

We have a Tepui autunma and I got the "luxury" mattress. I cant tell the difference, my wallet did im afraid. so i added the thermarest which helped slightly, but thats with a pillow under my legs also.

I don't believe we will ever find the right combination to our issue. I am going to try the exped synmat and remove the tepui mattress.

we have a temperpedic at home, which is great, i think. however i am starting to think its sunk to much to be helpful...

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I can, but it’s a fight to get it closed. I now just leave the Exped and flannel sheets in there. I keep the blanket and pillows in a Plano bin.
Do you open the air valve in the exped when closing up the tent? If so, does it self inflate or does it need some help?

Tepui mentioned that they will start offering another high end mattress option this spring for $450. I think it is about 3.5 inches of memory foam type material from a company in CO.

Thanks

TheGrrrrr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
Do you open the air valve in the exped when closing up the tent? If so, does it self inflate or does it need some help?

Tepui mentioned that they will start offering another high end mattress option this spring for $450. I think it is about 3.5 inches of memory foam type material from a company in CO.

Thanks
I open up the valve when I set the tent up. After a couple of hours (maybe less, I don’t check on it) the foam has expanded. I then use the ARB compressor I have onboard to top it off. Temps seem to matter. On colder trips <40f the foam is pretty firm on its own. I suspect the additional air from the compressor still helps with overall comfort, but the Exped is not as comfortable in cold weather. I suspect this is not unique to the Exped, but I can’t say for sure. My foam pillows are also far less comfortable in cold weather as well. It’s all still the best sleeping experience I have found for camping in any weather.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
For my .02, I have an Overlander XL. It came with a cheap vynil covered mattress that compressed and was hard for me as a side sleeper. After I bought a condensation Matt for under it and a 3inch egg crate foam (Walmart) for on top of it, it was as comfortable or possibly more than my bed at home. I could still close it up, but it takes both my wife and I to do it. It would be easier if we just used sleeping bag sized sleep pads velcroed to the tent mattress and next to each other, under our sleeping bags. That's what we evolved to and it also sleeps well. We ended up putting the thick foam on our house bed once we sorted that out. Now we can leave the foam pads and bags in the tent while traveling. It's a learning curve...

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I know that it is not what the OP wants, but I have an Exped Megamat as well and love it (besides the price but I bought mine at the annual REI sale for 25% off). The benefit is that it can be deflated and then there is enough room in my hard shell tent to keep the bedding inside when closing the tent.

Those 2 mins before leaving are worth it IMHO, and the quality of the Megamat compared to the original thin mattress is no comparison.

Reactions: velo47