RTT mattress

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

What I've read on line in the past with RTT mattresses they have poor quality & make for bad nights sleep. We've tried Thremarest self inflating pads underneath our mattress, memory form toppers, added sleeping bags underneath our Smittybilt mattress & the memory foam. Still wake up stiff, sore, achy joints & hips.
What I am looking for is a system that I don't have to huff up (blow up) then deflate or put in & take out every time we pull in to camp or leave from camp back home.
I am not looking for a cheap way or quick fix, what I am looking for is a solution for long term comfort & a good night sleep in our RTT that I can leave in the RTT when opening up @ camp or closing up the tent to head home.
What have you all done that works for you RTT owners for these poor quality pancake flat mattresses?

We just got back from a camping trip "dispersed camp" too.

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Don, I too have a similar complaint and I am a the stage of a simple 1 1/2" foam mattress topper. It's good information to know that all those other things won't work too well.

I would love to have something as comfortable as my mattress at home, I think that's a bit too much to ask because it was a (very) expensive mattress and I don't expect it to be able to be replicated in a form that will fit in a RTT.
That said, I am interested in any opinions, trial-and-error, wins, or suggestions as to what is better than what came with my RTT.

It's not terrible for me, I am the only one that sleeps there, but the sore hips, shoulders, back, it's all there.
Not sure what the good answer for me looks like but also open to recommendations.

Dan

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Tomorrow, Saturday the wife & I (with our RTT mattress) are headed down to Batesville to this huge upholstery warehouse fabric outlet & look at all of their closed cell foam, high density polyethylene foam, memory foam to build our own mattress that will fit us in comfort. They have in-house recommended seamstress that will make the mattress cover using our original Smittybilt mattress as a template.

Reactions: Tim N Michele Davis

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
What I've read on line in the past with RTT mattresses they have poor quality & make for bad nights sleep. We've tried Thremarest self inflating pads underneath our mattress, memory form toppers, added sleeping bags underneath our Smittybilt mattress & the memory foam. Still wake up stiff, sore, achy joints & hips.
What I am looking for is a system that I don't have to huff up (blow up) then deflate or put in & take out every time we pull in to camp or leave from camp back home.
I am not looking for a cheap way or quick fix, what I am looking for is a solution for long term comfort & a good night sleep in our RTT that I can leave in the RTT when opening up @ camp or closing up the tent to head home.
What have you all done that works for you RTT owners for these poor quality pancake flat mattresses?

We had the same issue with the original RTT mattress. Went to a fabric store/warehouse and got a 4" foam. 3" extra firm with 1" firm layer on top. The store did all the glueing. We ordered a mattress cover and new sheets online. The top sheet we got the a fitted bottom version for convenience. So far so good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

CANNONBALL94

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Cajon, Ca
First Name
Cannon
Last Name
Larocque
Member #

So I too have had this issue we currently use the base camp thermarests and I wake up feeling awesome. As someone who does on occasion have back issues this is the only way I have been able to fix the issue. We have a Yakima sky rise and that I believe came with a 2 inch mattress. Currently we are in the processor purchasing a Tepui Kukenam and it has a 2 1/2 inch mattress so hopefully no more issues. I was contemplating using the old school sleeping pads to put under the mattress but the thermarests do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
So I too have had this issue we currently use the base camp thermarests and I wake up feeling awesome. As someone who does on occasion have back issues this is the only way I have been able to fix the issue. We have a Yakima sky rise and that I believe came with a 2 inch mattress. Currently we are in the processor purchasing a Tepui Kukenam and it has a 2 1/2 inch mattress so hopefully no more issues. I was contemplating using the old school sleeping pads to put under the mattress but the thermarests do the job.

Understood.... Both my wife and I occasionally have issues with sciatica and found that even a 3" foam mattress didn't work. We even tried dog beds under our hips along with folding up a sleeping bag for thickness. LOL :tonguewink: Since we use a Maggiolina, we didn't want to feel the fiberglass bottom on our bottoms. Thus a 4 incher foam worked.

Reactions: ArkansasDon

squirrel_cage

Rank 0

Contributor I

We have been using an Exped Megamat Duo in our Tepui Autana. Although it is still an inflatable, it lets us sleep amazingly well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rolando

CANNONBALL94

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Cajon, Ca
First Name
Cannon
Last Name
Larocque
Member #

Understood.... Both my wife and I occasionally have issues with sciatica and found that even a 3" foam mattress didn't work. We even tried dog beds under our hips along with folding up a sleeping bag for thickness. LOL :tonguewink: Since we use a Maggiolina, we didn't want to feel the fiberglass bottom on our bottoms. Thus a 4 incher foam worked.
How was folding up your tent with it in there? Any issues?

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
How was that when folding to tent back up?

If you're asking me about the new thickness of the mattress in the Magi, the 4 inch mattress does not cause any issues at all. I still can have the bedding and sleeping bag flat out along with the ladder, pillows (4 of them), and the solar panel store in it.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

We have been using an Exped Megamat Duo in our Tepui Autana. Although it is still an inflatable, it lets us sleep amazingly well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
couldn't sleep because of the storm rolling threw, I talked with Backcountry Edge on the phone this afternoon about this product (Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Long/Wide: 77.6" x 52" x 3.9") & sound great.
question for you, "How does your tent fold up with the Exped Megamat Duo in it. Does it deflate enough to fold your tent ? Is this the replacement altogether of your original RTT mattress ? How long have you been using this product?

Last edited:

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Another option in the MegaMat line, have 16 nights on the MegaMat Synmat Mega 12's. These replaced OEM Tepui 2" mattress with 1.5" memory foam topper.

Unlike the self inflating MegaMats, the Synmat's deflate completely and require inflation during use. MegaMat addresses this with a "snozzle bag" (I kid you not.....goofy name but they work great........can fully inflate in less than a minute). Upside is they weigh very little compared to the Mega, fold no thicker than a blanket when deflated. 2 year warranty.

I've got 16 nights on the Synmats, my wife a few less. We knew they were the answer the second night. The long/wide version + long/extra wide worked out to be the exact width of our Kukenam RTT, so they don't shift/no center gap between them. Another benefit, I pump mine to my comfort, she to hers (not close to same). Found them discounted through Backcountry website, further discount via Active Junkie and free shipping brought total cost under $200.

This is them:

https://www.backcountryedge.com/exped-synmat-mega-12.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp96T9JqQ2gIVSCSGCh27NQaCEAQYAiABEgLQ-vD_BwE#284=1448

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolando

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Foambymail.com is a good source to build your own mattress. I don't think cheap and quality can mix. You need to be willing to spend a few bucks. I built a 4" mattress with 1" of latex for cooling, 2 of memory foam and 1 of a dense foam. At least I think that is the combo I chose. For me it worked great. I also sold it with my old trailer so I am working on a new solution for my new trailer. New I will likely go with a 5" setup because it is a Teardrop and not an RTT. 4" should be fine for most RTT's. 5" might be pushing it. Just remember the mattresses are heavy and a bit hard to get into the tent at first. After that you are good. Fold like a taco shell and shove on in.

Good luck with your quest. Everyone has different sleeping needs so it is always hard to recommend the right product for someone.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I ordered the Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad (Long/Wide: 77.6" x 52" x 3.9"). I had several on another site told me it was the best product they bought for there RTT & they get the best sleep. I done a ton of research on this product & watch a few youtube videos on this product & felt it was my best choice.

TheGrrrrr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
I just ordered the Tepui Ruggedized Autana 3 and an Exped MegaMat Duo LW+ to go inside. Anyone know if I can leave the Exped in the RTT with the factory mattress and close it up? I was planning to use the Exped as a topper, not a replacement, and would like to leave in place full time.

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
I wanted some good sleeping pads, and also had big/tall relatives staying at our house frequently. So I decided to spend a little on thicker self inflating pads. These were not cheap, but they are large, and I have tested them on hardwood floors. They have very high r-values so temps to do not transmit through them. In my ground tent, I toss them down and sleep, will little regard for bumps, twigs, or rocks which rarely transmit their presence through the pad. My only reservation is that the ones I bought are probably larger than I need for my tent, but originally they were bought for big/tall relatives, and since I have 3 of them I might as well put them to use (not going to buy a smaller one anytime soon).

Last weekend when camping with friends, I slept on my side. Something I like to do, but even in my comfy home bed I can rarely pull off because of my back.

Good luck with the search!

Lightspeed Outdoors XL Super Plush FlexForm Premium Self-Inflating Sleep and Camp Pad
by Lightspeed Outdoors
Link: http://a.co/d/4j9N9EY

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
Also, I don't want to be a buzz-kill, but various combinations of foam (soft, firm, firmer, firmest) will probably never achieve the results you are after. It can help "soften" the top of other materials (like a topper), but it has a difficult time keeping its shape for any length of time, especially when the temperature of a person is on it for a few hours. You fall asleep feeling good and supported, but you wake up feeling like you are in the bottom of a warped canoe (and your back reminds you of this all the next day).

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

as a owner of the Exped Duo 10 Queen Size xl xw, I tossed my original RTT mattress. In my RTT is CVT Anti Condensation Mat & the Exped Queen size mattress only. Inflated it is 4" thick, the mattress IMO doesn't need any other topper or padding on it since it is adjustable for your comfort level after self inflation & the pump to make the slight adjustments of the comfort level your seeking.

Photo shown is my wife making the bed, you can notice how thick the Exped Duo Queen xl xw self inflating mattress is.
015.JPG

Last edited: