Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

The sale is no longer valid, but even at their regular price they are a steal! :)
I agree, but that is only if you can get a good one. I was looking at the reviews on Amazon. they seem to have a lot of quality issues. I'm still on the fence.

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
I agree, but that is only if you can get a good one. I was looking at the reviews on Amazon. they seem to have a lot of quality issues. I'm still on the fence.
Yeah, I see what you mean Hapkijo... If you got the extra cash, I would go with the YETI coolers and save yourself the trouble of possibly having to send a defective unit back for replacement from RTIC.

To me, the savings was worth the risk. I have an RTIC45 and it is top condition with no detectible defects to speak of. If any other OB members have experienced quality defects, please post your experiences when you have a moment.

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

Yeah, I see what you mean Hapkijo... If you got the extra cash, I would go with the YETI coolers and save yourself the trouble of possibly having to send a defective unit back for replacement from RTIC.

To me, the savings was worth the risk. I have an RTIC45 and it is top condition with no detectible defects to speak of. If any other OB members have experienced quality defects, please post your experiences when you have a moment.
Just ordered a RTIC 65 Tan, not even sure if I need it, but I know I have been wanting larger cooler for a while.

Wondering if Obi-Juan used the force on me, and if you did, can you use it to get me a good one?

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I think you will be happy. I have two a 20 qt and a 40 qt (believe those are the sizes) as well as a few of their tumblers. I have found no defects what so ever. Keep in mine the prep will be a factor in your results. Cool it down first, don't pack it when it's hot, have it at a minimum to your room temp inside but even better put a little ice in overnight. Put whatever you are planning on putting in there in the fridge to cool off before loading as well. I know these sound like obvious things to do but I have seen people say these coolers are junk because they took them out of a hot car, loaded them with room temperature drink they were shocked that the ice didn't last that long. As good at they are at retaining the cold, if they are hot they are just as good at retaining that heat.

Reactions: Doug C and Hapkijo

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

One could follow those tips with a $30 cooler and be pretty happy with the results. Add in dry ice used intelligently and you can get pretty far without soggy food.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

One could follow those tips with a $30 cooler and be pretty happy with the results. Add in dry ice used intelligently and you can get pretty far without soggy food.
Yeah it's pretty obvious that those tips will improve the result of any cooler but a cheap cooler won't get the same results. Dry ice will definitely help things even more but I have not come across many country stores out in the middle of no where which carry it for when I need to replenish. Of course I use a fridge freezer these days so ice isn't a concern usually.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

True. I'd only use the dry ice at the beginning of a trip when the cooler was empty. My regular grocery store always has it. After that, depending on the weather, I could go 4-5 days without having to get ice again. Realistically, my schedule hasn't allowed me to travel longer than that, but I wouldn't freak out over having to replace the dry ice with regular ice at that point. I'm still going to get a fridge and take myself out of this discussion one day.

Reactions: MarkW

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Ive been looking at getting a new cooler and its between the RTIC and Ozark Trail. They are a similar price point but would be curious to see what y'all thing about each.

Also not sure which size I want to go with. I have a small family (wife and daughter) but hate to go to small for down the road if our family expands. I would be looking at:

RTIC 45 Quart - $175
RTIC 65 Quart - $199
Ozark Trail 52 Quart - $147
Ozark Trail 73 Quart - $194

Im open if theres something else thats much better but price point definitely limits me.

WillyGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, IN
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ive been looking at getting a new cooler and its between the RTIC and Ozark Trail. They are a similar price point but would be curious to see what y'all thing about each.

Also not sure which size I want to go with. I have a small family (wife and daughter) but hate to go to small for down the road if our family expands. I would be looking at:

RTIC 45 Quart - $175
RTIC 65 Quart - $199
Ozark Trail 52 Quart - $147
Ozark Trail 73 Quart - $194

Im open if theres something else thats much better but price point definitely limits me.
I have an RTIC 20 and 65. I keep the RTIC 20 in my Jeep for the days supplies - water, sandwiches, snacks, etc. The 65 is where I keep the trips supplies and reload the 20 at the end of each day from it. For long weekend trips I think the 45 will probably do fine but the 65 is family growth. Just remember, no matter what size you get you have to be able to lift it in and out and in and out. The 73 sounds a bit overwhelming for this old guy.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

I have an RTIC 20 and 65. I keep the RTIC 20 in my Jeep for the days supplies - water, sandwiches, snacks, etc. The 65 is where I keep the trips supplies and reload the 20 at the end of each day from it. For long weekend trips I think the 45 will probably do fine but the 65 is family growth. Just remember, no matter what size you get you have to be able to lift it in and out and in and out. The 73 sounds a bit overwhelming for this old guy.
Thanks for the input! That makes a lot of sense to me.