Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Detch
Member #

I'm a RTT convert also. However, I prefer the hardshell RTT versus the soft flip over design where you need to open windows with poles and add a cover.

pdxplorer15

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, OR
Member #

Timely thread. I was pretty much convinced that an RTT was what we should get and almost ready to pull the trigger. The more I read, the more I reconsider. I'm not too concerned about the increased CoG of a RTT, but think it's worth keeping in mind. I like the idea of having a tent always available for an impromptu trip. However, I don't have indoor parking now (garage is taken by our other vehicle, gear, workbench, etc...) and a RTT would make that a no-go anyway. We live in the PNW where it rains about 70% of the year. Mold is an ever-present problem. I'm curious to know if any other rain-soaked OB members with RTT's have had any problems with mold or water damage issues. An Oztent or something similar seems like a great option, given the above concerns. Quick to setup, can keep it out of the rain, light weight and small. Maybe remaining a "groundling" (a term I can't take credit for, but fits) is the best solution for now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris St. Clair

FishinJib

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

My issue with RTT is the size and the cost. It takes a lot of room for it to be just a sleeping platform. Also, I backpack and while backpacking the whole idea is to be ultra light after years to adjusting and trading gear to have the lights gear possible I just can't justify the sheer size and weight of a RTT. The idea of RTT is awesome, I just think the Roof top tent "industry" needs more innovation. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: pdxplorer15

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

I have the Shasta CVT roof top. I love it.
One advantage that I don't think has been mentioned yet. The roof top tent is pretty permanent, so I wired it and have those LED light strip and a USB connector inside. Very nice
On the down side. They are very vulnerable to having the cover torn on the trail. Then water intrusion and mold. I'm very wary

Can't make it through the day? Back up, and get a run at it!

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Just adding an option to consider for those on the Tent side of this debate. While OZ tent is popular it seems, The Sibley Tent has some advantages. For about the same money you get about 4x the space, it can easily take a stove inside which is nice for winter camping, and is not nearly as long when packed, so can easily be stored inside the truck/jeep what have you.

The Oz tent is lighters, sets up quicker, and needs less flat ground, but all this is due to volume. If you have ever had to spend an extended time in a tent, room to stand up and walk around, make tea on a wood stove is nice and I think is worth the extra weight and set-up time.

On a side note, I don't get the need for speed to set up and take down a tent. I sort of like making camp and doing the routines of packing. Overlanding to me is a chance to slow down and do simple things.

Anyway, here is a link to the Sibley Tent I have.

https://www.canvascamp.com/en/lookbook

pdxplorer15

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, OR
Member #

Just adding an option to consider for those on the Tent side of this debate. While OZ tent is popular it seems, The Sibley Tent has some advantages. For about the same money you get about 4x the space, it can easily take a stove inside which is nice for winter camping, and is not nearly as long when packed, so can easily be stored inside the truck/jeep what have you.

The Oz tent is lighters, sets up quicker, and needs less flat ground, but all this is due to volume. If you have ever had to spend an extended time in a tent, room to stand up and walk around, make tea on a wood stove is nice and I think is worth the extra weight and set-up time.

On a side note, I don't get the need for speed to set up and take down a tent. I sort of like making camp and doing the routines of packing. Overlanding to me is a chance to slow down and do simple things.

Anyway, here is a link to the Sibley Tent I have.

https://www.canvascamp.com/en/lookbook
You raise several great points there. Setting up the tent isn't my favorite camping activity. It's not something I dislike, but there are other things I'd rather be doing. It's definitely an opportunity to unplug, slow down and as you put it "do simple things" (nicely stated, by the way). That's what has always appealed to me camping, exploring the backcountry and now overlanding.

I can see the benefits of a larger footprint, even if at the expense of a bit longer setup. I'm sure my wife would LOVE the idea of brewing a cup of coffee on a wood stove in the tent. Haha I've pretty much decided that a ground tent is likely the best option for our situation, but now it's a question of which one. Thank you for sharing the link to the Sibley. I'll check it out. Cheers!

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I don't have the stove yet (back order) but I am looking forward to a warm tent. I also wanted to add that the ventilation is very good, as there is netting on all the side walls, making for a great cross breeze. However, the RTT might catch more wind being higher.

I do think there are two basic approaches when it comes to Overland camping: hunker around, in, or on the vehicle or establishing a base camp independent of the vehicle. The I.R.S. (installation, removal, and storage) of a RTT also prevents me from going that way. My Overland Jeep also is my daily driver, but I can see the appeal of an RTT, and if I had a different vehicle (not good to have too much weight on top of a Jeep), or did it more often, I would be very tempted.

Reactions: pdxplorer15

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
I have the Shasta CVT roof top. I love it.
One advantage that I don't think has been mentioned yet. The roof top tent is pretty permanent, so I wired it and have those LED light strip and a USB connector inside. Very nice
On the down side. They are very vulnerable to having the cover torn on the trail. Then water intrusion and mold. I'm very wary

Can't make it through the day? Back up, and get a run at it!
I dont care who you are, thats an AWESOME RIG!!!! 1st one i saw was a lifted black one on the snow in alaska. Ive been sold since. Ill have one, one day. Love it

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

I use a ground tent for two reasons:
1) I can't afford a RTT
2) Don't like the amount of space a RTT takes up on my rack, already limited in storage using a TJ as my overland vehicle

That being said, would I prefer to run a RTT? Absolutely! Just think it might be better for me to invest in a trailer to mount it to or if anything invest in your good old fashion teardrop trailer

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

and if I had a different vehicle (not good to have too much weight on top of a Jeep), .
Now THAT depends on the jeep. Gotta be an unlimited (roof space) and heavier suspension as found in the Rubicons.

It takes a lot of room for it to be just a sleeping platform. .
With an annex they are way more than just a place to sleep. They are more like 2 tents in one...:yum:

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Now THAT depends on the jeep. Gotta be an unlimited (roof space) and heavier suspension as found in the Rubicons.
My issue is with the weight on the top of my JKU is a rack on fiberglass. Friability can be an issue I think. The AEV, Some Pioneer, & Front Runner all drill into the frame. The Eazi Awn K9 does not, and that is the one I like the most because less invasive, easy off, low profile, etc...

But it cost a lot, so seeing if I can overland without a rack. I am sure that eventually, I will have to get one.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

My issue is with the weight on the top of my JKU is a rack on fiberglass. Friability can be an issue I think. The AEV, Some Pioneer, & Front Runner all drill into the frame. The Eazi Awn K9 does not, and that is the one I like the most because less invasive, easy off, low profile, etc...

But it cost a lot, so seeing if I can overland without a rack. I am sure that eventually, I will have to get one.
That is why I built my own rack. One was cost because they are way overpriced for what they are, especially AEV products and two, no way do I want them attached to my hard top. That's just ridiculous since fiberglass is not strong like you say and racks are designed for weight/storage. Plus when fiberglass gets sun/cold/sun it gets brittle.

I agree with your weight issues now in that circumstance.

Reactions: Valmore

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

What kind of rack did you build? Something along the lines of Gobi. At first thought that was the way I wanted to go, but after looking at the actual removal and what you must do the install, and the real total weight I can put on, plus the degree to which heavyweight way up top changes handling on the Jeep, I started having second thoughts.

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

What kind of rack did you build? Something along the lines of Gobi. At first thought that was the way I wanted to go, but after looking at the actual removal and what you must do the install, and the real total weight I can put on, plus the degree to which heavyweight way up top changes handling on the Jeep, I started having second thoughts.
I honestly hardly noticed much of a change in my Jeep's handling after installing my Gobi. Been completely tilted 45° with probably 200 pounds on top and never felt like I was going to tip.

Installation wasn't too bad either in my opinion. No drilling (besides in my case) and installation was pretty straight forward. That being said I don't know what kind of Jeep you drive

Last edited:

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I've always been wondering... my gf sorta pointed me in the direction of a camper (tent) trailer.. It is slgihtly more expensive but used they are ok. positive side of a trailer is that you can leave it standing at a base and then do trips and stuff with the vehicle. But dragging it behind a vehicle is a downside I guess.

I always loved the idea of a RTT though.. can go anywhere with it and it isn't that much of a hassle to pack up and leave.. a trailer based tent is more work to pack in.

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
We had a 6 man dome tent for years it was great when we spent time in the southern areas but now we spend a lot of time in northern QLD and there are these signs everywhere you campcsm_Cooktown_croc_crop_5a0c4ffabd.jpg

sleeping on the ground just wasn't an option so camper trailer and soon RTT it is

Reactions: seb

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
Haha yeah that sign would definitely be a reason to buy a rooftop tent. But as far as for me I'll have to stay with a ground tent. I have a rei kingdom 6. Not to bad to set up. I put 2 queen air matresses in it with the garage and I got space. I have 2 little girls. Ones 4 and the other is 1. A rooftop tent would be hard with them.

seb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Breukelen, Utrecht, Netherlands
First Name
Seb
Last Name
Bass
Member #

Haha yeah that sign would definitely be a reason to buy a rooftop tent. But as far as for me I'll have to stay with a ground tent. I have a rei kingdom 6. Not to bad to set up. I put 2 queen air matresses in it with the garage and I got space. I have 2 little girls. Ones 4 and the other is 1. A rooftop tent would be hard with them.

Respect for taking to little girls out with you!

Reactions: AZ_Overland

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

Same here I've got a 3 year old and 3 month old.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: KD7WCD