Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I only see one real con,

Once setup most of them means your vehicle cannot move. Be it for a beer run or TP, yer walking.
But some of the smaller versions will let you manuver the vehicle fully setup.

All the other pros and cons are mostly about preferences.
This one I really like. Big, airy, fast setup and you can change position fully setup.

The big benefit of all the RTTs is a real bed off the ground. I grew up in ground tents and always hated them, from keeping the floor clean to finding a smooth spot to sleep on. An RTT is the easiest, most affordable step up from a ground tent.

Room with a view....

DSC_0063.jpeg

Last edited:

resqr1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Omaha
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ramaeker
Member #

Used mine a couple times. It's a million times better than regular tent camping. And cheaper than a camper. Couple things i noticed were a significant change in center of gravity and how the vehicle feels when off camber. And wind resistance on the highway. Setup and takedown isn't bad depending on the RTT and it gets easier with practice. I ended up getting an off road camper, though. As I get older I am more sensitive to the heat. No A/C in an RTT. And I prefer being able to set a basecamp, heading to a trail or two and returning with everything basically ready to go. Having a heater when it gets cold is nice, too. putting on cold clothes after a good night's sleep SUCKS. I still have my RTT, though. Never know what circumstances might come around.

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
You’re welcome. I would say purchase it then. It will pay for itself. Just in its ability to get where a trailer or rv can’t and the ability to be up and see the land around you. Enjoy this great country. After all that’s what it’s all about. Camp on!
I agree with you 100%.

I think I'm going to pop on it next pay period.

I really appreciate your opinions!

Reactions: The_blu_gecko

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
I think I have to agree with @OTHOverlander-ish, I thought about an RTT for 6 months until I did a 5 day trip and decided sleeping the back of my Disco was too much gear to move around each night. Being solo, with a budget and wanting a smaller light weight tent made things a little more difficult but not terribly so.

My Tepui is perfect for me and pretty warm even with a lot of windows open, a must to keep condensation down.

I have no issues with the ladder at night but my night vision is still very good even if my bladder is not :grinning:
Thank you so much for getting back to me and for your opinions!

Also, thank you for your opinion on the condensation. The RTT that I am looking at has ventilation holes at the top of the tent on both sides. Good to know that those are needed.

I think I will be fine with the ladder too. :)

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Randun My Tepui actually has "skylights" so 2 windows in the roof, normally protected by the tent fly. They would be great on a clear night, but they give me an excellent vent above my head in all weather. I open about 30% on a cool/cold night and all the way on warmer nights.

The small side vent holes would not be enough, up here in the PNW lots of moisture to start with add folks breathing and it can get wet quick. An anti condensation mat under the mattress helps too.

The condensation issue exists for ground tents too.

I have been investigating little 200 Watt ceramic heaters to use off a second battery for warming and drying any condensation, my tent is small enough that it should work ok. Power draw being the main issue.

Reactions: Randun

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
Great place for someone with this hobby. Building off road rigs every day. Too bad I had to quit. Relocating to be closer to family so we have some support for our kid since my wife about ready to get back into work.
I agree!

Man I wish I was building off-road rigs every day too!

Family is always first! Good luck with everything and thank you again so much for your opinions!

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
@Randun My Tepui actually has "skylights" so 2 windows in the roof, normally protected by the tent fly. They would be great on a clear night, but they give me an excellent vent above my head in all weather. I open about 30% on a cool/cold night and all the way on warmer nights.

The small side vent holes would not be enough, up here in the PNW lots of moisture to start with add folks breathing and it can get wet quick. An anti condensation mat under the mattress helps too.

The condensation issue exists for ground tents too.

I have been investigating little 200 Watt ceramic heaters to use off a second battery for warming and drying any condensation, my tent is small enough that it should work ok. Power draw being the main issue.
That's so cool! The Tuff Stuff Overland RTTs that I have been looking at have those stargazing windows too!

Thank you so much for your opinion on opening up the top to get that moisture out of the tent too. I really like that tip!

I was looking at an anti-condensation mat too. I will defiantly be getting one of those.

Great idea on the little heater too! I have heard some people turn on those Mr. Buddy heaters a bit and then turn them off when they go to bed.

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
I only see one real con,

Once setup most of them means your vehicle cannot move. Be it for a beer run or TP, yer walking.
But some of the smaller versions will let you manuver the vehicle fully setup.

All the other pros and cons are mostly about preferences.
This one I really like. Big, airy, fast setup and you can change position fully setup.

The big benefit of all the RTTs is a real bed off the ground. I grew up in ground tents and always hated them, from keeping the floor clean to finding a smooth spot to sleep on. An RTT is the easiest, most affordable step up from a ground tent.

Room with a view....

View attachment 171235
That is a beautiful tent! Thank you so much for the picture!

I agree with you about how nice it is to have any easy set up and break down too. That is why I have been really looking at Tuff Stuff Overland's RTTs. I really like their Alpha and Alpha 2.

Being off of the ground in a RTT seams so nice. No hard, cold floor? Yes please! :)

Reactions: FishinCrzy

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
After doing the Georgia traverse during 2 tropical storms, setting up in the rain, etc. I think I would have rather had a RTT. Not having to roll up a dirty tent each morning would have been sooo nice due to all the wet ground. The only two cons I can think of are
A) having to use the ladder to take a leak at night
B) the expense.

Possibly loss of mileage depending on rig?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
After doing the Georgia traverse during 2 tropical storms, setting up in the rain, etc. I think I would have rather had a RTT. Not having to roll up a dirty tent each morning would have been sooo nice due to all the wet ground. The only two cons I can think of are
A) having to use the ladder to take a leak at night
B) the expense.

Possibly loss of mileage depending on rig?
You take a sealable jug up with you at night:smile:

Paula - Canadian Explorer

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, and I'm so glad to be apart of it.

I have a question for all of you that will listen. :)

I'm thinking about getting a roof top tent (RTT). Do any of you have one? If so, what are the pros and cons of a RTT?

Thank you all so much for your time and your help!
I have a 2015 4Runner and use a Tepui Explorer Autana with Annex (it’s a bit pricey but fits my overlanding/camping requirements). It’s also on the heavier side, but perfectly ok with my 4Runner. I changed the mattress (too hard on my back). It’s been under low temperatures, rain, sun, etc. Never felt cold in it or hot.

Attachments

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I have a 2015 4Runner and use a Tepui Explorer Autana with Annex (it’s a bit pricey but fits my overlanding/camping requirements). It’s also on the heavier side, but perfectly ok with my 4Runner. I changed the mattress (too hard on my back). It’s been under low temperatures, rain, sun, etc. Never felt cold in it or hot.
How difficult are the annexes to setup and take down? I had one with my last RTT and never used it. Since it's usually just me I didn't get one with my new RTT. I just don't stay in one place more than a day or two and it seemed more trouble than it was worth and more weight.. I see how it could be useful for some though. Nice rig you have and welcome!

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

How difficult are the annexes to setup and take down? I had one with my last RTT and never used it. Since it's usually just me I didn't get one with my new RTT. I just don't stay in one place more than a day or two and it seemed more trouble than it was worth and more weight.. I see how it could be useful for some though. Nice rig you have and welcome!
Thank you for the welcome message. I appreciate it. The annex is not difficult to setup, but agree with you: I only setup the annex if I’m camping in one spot for 2 or 3 days (or longer) - especially when I’m waiting for friends, etc. Or if I really like the area and want to extend the stay. I am looking at the batwing awning (attached to a trailer) as that setup will help with cooking if it’s raining, quick setup, etc.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Thank you for the welcome message. I appreciate it. The annex is not difficult to setup, but agree with you: I only setup the annex if I’m camping in one spot for 2 or 3 days (or longer) - especially when I’m waiting for friends, etc. Or if I really like the area and want to extend the stay. I am looking at the batwing awning (attached to a trailer) as that setup will help with cooking if it’s raining, quick setup, etc.
Batwings are neat but so far I've just been using a light siliconized tarp and some nice telescoping poles. Again, trying to keep the weight down. Need more room for fishing gear!! :grinning:

I am working up for an extended tour somewhere. Probably the Rockies from south to north if things get sorted out by next year. Still, have some gear decisions to make. I tend to load the truck until I can't get any more but I do like my RTT. I think I have the same inverter generator I saw in your picture. What was your mattress upgrade? Haven't figured how to take my sleep number mattress yet!

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Batwings are neat but so far I've just been using a light siliconized tarp and some nice telescoping poles. Again, trying to keep the weight down. Need more room for fishing gear!! :grinning:

I am working up for an extended tour somewhere. Probably the Rockies from south to north if things get sorted out by next year. Still, have some gear decisions to make. I tend to load the truck until I can't get any more but I do like my RTT. I think I have the same inverter generator I saw in your picture. What was your mattress upgrade? Haven't figured how to take my sleep number mattress yet!
Oh I so get what you mean about the weight! I had to get a bigger battery for my 4Runner. I also went through a lot of my gear - not because of the weight, but because I just did not use it (or need it). I’m also trying to get more organized, hence the Rago Panels I just installed. Mattress upgrade was to memory foam (Olee Memory foam). What an improvement!
Generator is a Honda ultra-quiet 2200i.

I think we’re all keeping our fingers crossed for a better 2021. My destination will be Tuktoyatuk in 2021, if things get better. Can’t wait!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Randun, I am going to be the anti RTT guy here. I have camped for most of my 63 years. Backpacked, mountaineer, rock climbed car camped, some crawling. 2019 I had 65 nights over landing, not so much in 2020. :) For the price of most RTT I can purchase a 4 season tent, a 3 season tent, great sleeping pads, cots ( if you want) and sleeping bags. All will last 15 years easy. I look at most of the RTT s and think they a less than average 3 season tents. You more you spend the better they get for the most part. Most of these US companies are less than 5 years old, the tents look like they all came form the same Chinese company. The ground tent and all weights 50# and packs up pretty small and can be stored where ever you have room. My current camp takes about 45 mins to set up most of that time is covers and cooking tables et all.

I tend to post up and play most of the time, I bring surf boards, kayak, fishing gear, beach games, even a SUP sometimes, TOYS. The roof of my rig is the toys. Most of the time I will not be driving everyday. I will be doing something other than sitting and driving. It’s rare that I drive for more than 2 days without f ing around for a couple days

Randun, I have zero idea as to what you want to do, once you get there or if you want to drive. If you have a family or not. How much you are doing now. So I am just spiting ideas. If you haven’t spent time out there, get out there, however you can, make sure it’s for you. The tent is just a thing. Ether you are a camper or you are not.

This next part isn’t going to get me friends. A lot of RTT owners want to look the part, they leave them on all the time. They have all the kitchen drawers, showers, refrigerators, and the don’t spend 30 night camping a year. It’s their money, have at it. They are buying into the marketing hype. Much of my stuff is 20 + years old because I maintain and care for it I don’t wear logo stuff unless it’s free or I know the people. When I haul the kayak and boards my mileage drops 10%. All my stuff comes off the truck after a trip because sunlight isn’t good for most of it, long term.

You go do what you want, it’s not the gear it is trip and the friends, the memory’s will last a life time. The gear will not.
I will most likely drive drive the southern Pan American with a pop up camper in the next couple of years.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@MMc While I will agree with you there are a lot of RTT owners who have pristine trucks that go out the odd weekend and stay in organized camp sites, where setting up a ground tent is easy. But after a couple of years I dumped the ground tent, way too much time spent trying to find clear root and rock free ground, and then there is the whole wet muddy ground thing. I slept in the back of trucks for a few years but that is difficult on long trips.me and 5 to 7 day food etc. The RTT solved the problem, it warm dry and I only need 6 feet on the side of truck to setup, 2 if I had a hard top. Up here in BC that means camping where and when I want, which makes life simple. Most of the province is Crown land and generally fully accessible and you can camp where ever you want.

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

@MMc While I will agree with you there are a lot of RTT owners who have pristine trucks that go out the odd weekend and stay in organized camp sites, where setting up a ground tent is easy. But after a couple of years I dumped the ground tent, way too much time spent trying to find clear root and rock free ground, and then there is the whole wet muddy ground thing. I slept in the back of trucks for a few years but that is difficult on long trips.me and 5 to 7 day food etc. The RTT solved the problem, it warm dry and I only need 6 feet on the side of truck to setup, 2 if I had a hard top. Up here in BC that means camping where and when I want, which makes life simple. Most of the province is Crown land and generally fully accessible and you can camp where ever you want.
Fully agree. I have done the ground camping for as long as I can remember - with its pros and cons. Also did some truck camping (sleeping inside the truck) because of our Canadian unpredictable weather - weather never stopped us, we just have to work around it. Today, being able to afford a better setting, I certainly did the investment and currently looking at trailers to make the planning even easier and faster (e.g. hock the truck to the trailer and go!).
As a woman, I also find the RTT a safer version of camping from all sorts of animals - including human intruders (had more negative human encounters while ground camping than animals!). The RTT gives me that added protection while sleeping. Yeah!!!! I know! I know! Some readers will question that, but it works for me with what I call ‘my night safety setting.’

I guess, it’s the old saying ‘to each their own’ right?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Randun is a So Cal guy, very different conditions than in BC. Lots of desert and 3 months of zero rain every year. I have spent more than a couple of weeks getting to the top of some of the mountains in BC. You live in a beautiful area. Most in So Cal are fair weather campers, with a odd rain day mixed in. It’s the reason many RTT are able to stay in business, IMHO. I can and do sleep in a 6’ x 2’ strip. Bevy bags are wonderful , yes the mud isn’t pretty ( the blue tarp island). It really depends on what you plan to do, drive and camp or drive and post up for a couple of days. I am not completely anti RTT, it’s more about understanding how and what you want, while getting out there.

I read the bugs and animals reason for a RTT, with thousands of nights outdoor it’s never been a issue. I woke up with a coyote licking my face once, we had tempura for dinner, my guess was the fat on my face. I worry more about humans than bugs and animals. I see a tent helps as a garage of sorts when I am away from camp, keeping honest people honest, too.

The idea of a RTT on a trailer is a good one. It is like a pop-up trailer that is capable on trails. The reason I love something, is the reason you love it.

Reactions: Randun and rgallant