Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
I never pulled the trigger on a roof top tent, but when I was weighing out the decision to buy one a while back, the two biggest pros for me was that a roof top tent will keep you off the ground. The ground can suck the heat right out of you. This and ease of use compared to finding a good flat piece of Earth, kicking all the rocks out and all that set up. What ultimately kept me from pulling the trigger on a RTT are 2 cons mainly. The first being that I cant really set up camp until I'm done using my vehicle for the day. If I suddenly had the urge to drive out into a clearing to do some night photography or something like that, I would need to break the tent down. I also now have a young son who comes camping with us, and I just don't trust him yet coming in and out of a RTT via ladder. The other con to me was the reduction in MPG I stood to lose. My vehicle is a brick as it is, and my truck is also my daily driver so I would be compelled to pull that tent off my vehicle and put it back on whenever I went on a trip.

This isn't to say that not getting a RTT is the answer, it was just the answer for me. I know plenty of people who run them and love them, but for my situation it wasn't the right choice. I have found a fix for using ground tents and staying off the ground and it isn't an air matress. It is a little more pricey, but if you or anyone else wants to stick with ground tents but sleep like a baby even in the freezing cold, look into the EXPED sleeping pad. It costs a few hundred bucks, about 400 for a full size version, but it is hands down the best sleeping pad I have ever used. They don't take up much room when broken down and packed up, and feel just like your matress at home. I've been sleeping on the ground and under the stars for decades, have always been anti-air matress, but this is so much better than an air matress or anything else I have tried through the years. So a decent tent, an exped and a quality bag, and you are housed for the fraction of a RTT, and you don't need to pull the tent off your vehicle when you are back in civilization if your truck is also your daily driver. Just the solution I have recently come up with that works really well for me and my family.
Thank you so much for your opinions. I really appreciate it.

I currently have a ground tent, so your comment about getting off of the ground really hit home for me.

I also agree with you on ease of use with RTTs. I have been leaning towards the hard shell RTTs vs the soft RTTs for this very reason. I like how easy the set up and break down is with the hard shell RTTs You can be broken down in less then 2 minutes. This really made me smile.

Also, thank you so much for letting me know about that mattress. That sounds so nice and I will definitely be looking into that!

Reactions: LONO100

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Thank you so much for your opinions. I really appreciate it.

I currently have a ground tent, so your comment about getting off of the ground really hit home for me.

I also agree with you on ease of use with RTTs. I have been leaning towards the hard shell RTTs vs the soft RTTs for this very reason. I like how easy the set up and break down is with the hard shell RTTs You can be broken down in less then 2 minutes. This really made me smile.

Also, thank you so much for letting me know about that mattress. That sounds so nice and I will definitely be looking into that!
For sure! The first time I heard about the exped from my sister who is also an avid camper, I thought 250 bucks for a camping mattress was outrageous. Then we went and got one after she kept urging us, and wow, it's amazing. It feels comparable to my bed at home which cost us over a grand. That's not hyperbole.

I've used it on a 4 wheeling trip in the Sierra mountains, and in mammoth where we ran into 40 degree nights mixed with hail storms and I didnt even notice it. I can't say enough about that exped.

Reactions: rgallant and Randun

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
For sure! The first time I heard about the exped from my sister who is also an avid camper, I thought 250 bucks for a camping mattress was outrageous. Then we went and got one after she kept urging us, and wow, it's amazing. It feels comparable to my bed at home which cost us over a grand. That's not hyperbole.

I've used it on a 4 wheeling trip in the Sierra mountains, and in mammoth where we ran into 40 degree nights mixed with hail storms and I didnt even notice it. I can't say enough about that exped.
Wow! What a great review of a product. You have me sold. :)

Thank you so much to your sister too! I love it when you can hear an honest review from someone and then you purchase the same thing and have nothing but positive reviews too!

Have fun out there and thank you so much for your time and your help!

rracterr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
First Name
benjamin
Last Name
knauss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ISS
Thank you so much for getting back to me, for your opinions, and for this beautiful picture!! What an amazing group you travel with.

For the most part I will have two people in the tent, on an occasion I will have a child too. So I guess 3 people max in the tent.

Thank you for your opinions on the hard shell type tents too. They do take up the whole roof line don't they? However, I just really like the ease of set up on them. I have really been looking at Tuff Stuff Overland's RTTs. Have you heard of them? These are the two that I have been looking at from them:

and

Also, thank you so much for your opinon on being able to drive and sleep anywhere. That is one of the main factors that is pushing me towards getting one.

wish these came in white, black will be hell in the desert.

Reactions: Randun

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
wish these came in white, black will be hell in the desert.
I emailed them about that very question and they told me that the white versions were not selling. They said based on their customer reviews, black and grey were the most requested colors based off of customer preference and matching of existing vehicles.