First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@MMc thanks for the post above I wondered what conditions in So Cal were. I figured very different as far as rain goes, I was not sure about roots & rocks. That makes RTT vs Ground a more interesting choice.

@Paula - Canadian Explorer the trailer can be a curse, it is another discussion but small tight trails that just end, mud and off camber can create some big time sinks with a trailer. If you can get a military style hitch and trailer ring it really makes a difference, they allow the trailer to rotate a bit.

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
After doing the Georgia traverse during 2 tropical storms, setting up in the rain, etc. I think I would have rather had a RTT. Not having to roll up a dirty tent each morning would have been sooo nice due to all the wet ground. The only two cons I can think of are
A) having to use the ladder to take a leak at night
B) the expense.

Possibly loss of mileage depending on rig?
Boy do you paint a picture! You are so right. That is one of the #1 things that I hate about my ground tent. It is impossible to keep it clean and then when you are done rolling it up, you are covered in dirt too!

I have thought about the ladder issue too, but I think this con is not that bad in my opinion. I like the idea that you are up off of the ground away from the elements. Just my opinion. :)

I agree with you on the price too. That is why I have been saving a little money here and there. It is a big expense, but I feel it will pay for itself in no time.

Thank you so much for your time and your help!

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
I have a 2015 4Runner and use a Tepui Explorer Autana with Annex (it’s a bit pricey but fits my overlanding/camping requirements). It’s also on the heavier side, but perfectly ok with my 4Runner. I changed the mattress (too hard on my back). It’s been under low temperatures, rain, sun, etc. Never felt cold in it or hot.
What a beautiful set up you must have!

It's good to know that even with your RTT being on the heaver side, you feel that it is ok with your 4Runner.

What did you change the mattress to?

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
Thank you for the welcome message. I appreciate it. The annex is not difficult to setup, but agree with you: I only setup the annex if I’m camping in one spot for 2 or 3 days (or longer) - especially when I’m waiting for friends, etc. Or if I really like the area and want to extend the stay. I am looking at the batwing awning (attached to a trailer) as that setup will help with cooking if it’s raining, quick setup, etc.
Great post! Thank you so much for this.

Everyone seams to have the same opinions on the annex room. It is nice to have, but not needed in all applications.

I think I'm going to get it for those long trips. It would be nice to have a place to change and store some of my clothes/gear.

Thank you so much for your opinions!

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Great post! Thank you so much for this.

Everyone seams to have the same opinions on the annex room. It is nice to have, but not needed in all applications.

I think I'm going to get it for those long trips. It would be nice to have a place to change and store some of my clothes/gear.

Thank you so much for your opinions!
I have carried a 3-person backpacking tent I have used for storing stuff if the weather gets problematic. A lot lighter than the annex I never used.

Reactions: Randun

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
Randun, I am going to be the anti RTT guy here. I have camped for most of my 63 years. Backpacked, mountaineer, rock climbed car camped, some crawling. 2019 I had 65 nights over landing, not so much in 2020. :) For the price of most RTT I can purchase a 4 season tent, a 3 season tent, great sleeping pads, cots ( if you want) and sleeping bags. All will last 15 years easy. I look at most of the RTT s and think they a less than average 3 season tents. You more you spend the better they get for the most part. Most of these US companies are less than 5 years old, the tents look like they all came form the same Chinese company. The ground tent and all weights 50# and packs up pretty small and can be stored where ever you have room. My current camp takes about 45 mins to set up most of that time is covers and cooking tables et all.

I tend to post up and play most of the time, I bring surf boards, kayak, fishing gear, beach games, even a SUP sometimes, TOYS. The roof of my rig is the toys. Most of the time I will not be driving everyday. I will be doing something other than sitting and driving. It’s rare that I drive for more than 2 days without f ing around for a couple days

Randun, I have zero idea as to what you want to do, once you get there or if you want to drive. If you have a family or not. How much you are doing now. So I am just spiting ideas. If you haven’t spent time out there, get out there, however you can, make sure it’s for you. The tent is just a thing. Ether you are a camper or you are not.

This next part isn’t going to get me friends. A lot of RTT owners want to look the part, they leave them on all the time. They have all the kitchen drawers, showers, refrigerators, and the don’t spend 30 night camping a year. It’s their money, have at it. They are buying into the marketing hype. Much of my stuff is 20 + years old because I maintain and care for it I don’t wear logo stuff unless it’s free or I know the people. When I haul the kayak and boards my mileage drops 10%. All my stuff comes off the truck after a trip because sunlight isn’t good for most of it, long term.

You go do what you want, it’s not the gear it is trip and the friends, the memory’s will last a life time. The gear will not.
I will most likely drive drive the southern Pan American with a pop up camper in the next couple of years.
Thank you so much for your opinions! I really, really appreciate it.

You sound like a seasoned camper. Someone who has great knowledge in this sport that we all love.

I agree with you on the "season tents." Some of them that I have stayed in are a lot warmer then other ones.

I also agree with you on the manufacturing. About 95% of all RTTs on the market are made in the same 2 factories in China. I've done a lot of research on this, and it doesn't bother me too much. The thing that bothers me is the RTT companies that will not tell you where there stuff is made, or they dance around the question when it is asked. Just own it and move on.

Your set up sounds so cool! All the necessities with all the toys too! How fun!

As for your question of what I want to do, I want to continue to live the amazing life that I do, and get out and explore as much as I can. Sometimes I camp alone in my ground tent. Sometimes I camp with family, and sometimes I camp with family and friends. I was raised in a camping/backpacking family, so I have grown up loving the outdoors. I respect it, and I always can't wait for my next adventure.

I think a RTT will be a great addition to my program. I agree with you in that they are not for everyone, but I'm leaning in the direction.

Reactions: CharlotteJacket

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
@MMc While I will agree with you there are a lot of RTT owners who have pristine trucks that go out the odd weekend and stay in organized camp sites, where setting up a ground tent is easy. But after a couple of years I dumped the ground tent, way too much time spent trying to find clear root and rock free ground, and then there is the whole wet muddy ground thing. I slept in the back of trucks for a few years but that is difficult on long trips.me and 5 to 7 day food etc. The RTT solved the problem, it warm dry and I only need 6 feet on the side of truck to setup, 2 if I had a hard top. Up here in BC that means camping where and when I want, which makes life simple. Most of the province is Crown land and generally fully accessible and you can camp where ever you want.
I agree with you so much!

I have done the ground tent camping program for so long, and I feel like it is time for something new.

I have heard so many positive things about RTTs. Its great to hear that you enjoy yours too!

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
Fully agree. I have done the ground camping for as long as I can remember - with its pros and cons. Also did some truck camping (sleeping inside the truck) because of our Canadian unpredictable weather - weather never stopped us, we just have to work around it. Today, being able to afford a better setting, I certainly did the investment and currently looking at trailers to make the planning even easier and faster (e.g. hock the truck to the trailer and go!).
As a woman, I also find the RTT a safer version of camping from all sorts of animals - including human intruders (had more negative human encounters while ground camping than animals!). The RTT gives me that added protection while sleeping. Yeah!!!! I know! I know! Some readers will question that, but it works for me with what I call ‘my night safety setting.’

I guess, it’s the old saying ‘to each their own’ right?
Great points! Thank you so much for your opinions!

As a woman too, I have had the same feelings as you when I camp in my ground tent. Glad to hear that I am not the only one!

Have fun out there and thank you again for your time!

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
Randun is a So Cal guy, very different conditions than in BC. Lots of desert and 3 months of zero rain every year. I have spent more than a couple of weeks getting to the top of some of the mountains in BC. You live in a beautiful area. Most in So Cal are fair weather campers, with a odd rain day mixed in. It’s the reason many RTT are able to stay in business, IMHO. I can and do sleep in a 6’ x 2’ strip. Bevy bags are wonderful , yes the mud isn’t pretty ( the blue tarp island). It really depends on what you plan to do, drive and camp or drive and post up for a couple of days. I am not completely anti RTT, it’s more about understanding how and what you want, while getting out there.

I read the bugs and animals reason for a RTT, with thousands of nights outdoor it’s never been a issue. I woke up with a coyote licking my face once, we had tempura for dinner, my guess was the fat on my face. I worry more about humans than bugs and animals. I see a tent helps as a garage of sorts when I am away from camp, keeping honest people honest, too.

The idea of a RTT on a trailer is a good one. It is like a pop-up trailer that is capable on trails. The reason I love something, is the reason you love it.
Little correction...Randun is a So Cal girl. :)

For the most part I camp in warm weather in the spring and summer months, and snow and rain in the winter months. I camp in dry desert conditions, and in foggy, wet, damp conditions on the beaches in Baja. I do a lot of camping in all types of weather. I defiantly need an all season RTT that will go with me anywhere.

Paula - Canadian Explorer

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

@rgallant - I fully agree that something like a lunette ring with a pintle hook is a better upgrade to what I currently have (ball mount trailer hitch). Would not dare go on rough areas with it! The trailer I'm leaning towards (Turtleback Trailers - Expedition) comes with a Max Coupler swivel hitch + torsion axle that allows a moderate amount of trailer movement and independent wheel travel. It should certainly make for a smoother ride. I heard that the lunette + pintle concept can be quite noisy out on the trails. Need more research, of course - both on the trailers and towing options. Only now scratching the surface.

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
@rgallant - I fully agree that something like a lunette ring with a pintle hook is a better upgrade to what I currently have (ball mount trailer hitch). Would not dare go on rough areas with it! The trailer I'm leaning towards (Turtleback Trailers - Expedition) comes with a Max Coupler swivel hitch + torsion axle that allows a moderate amount of trailer movement and independent wheel travel. It should certainly make for a smoother ride. I heard that the lunette + pintle concept can be quite noisy out on the trails. Need more research, of course - both on the trailers and towing options. Only now scratching the surface.
Those trailers are so cool!

I was at an off-road show and saw one of these:

The articulating hitch on it was so cool, and I love the suspension under it!

Good luck with your future program. Have fun out there!

The_blu_gecko

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Shasta lake
First Name
David
Last Name
Dogert
Member #

You’re welcome. I would say purchase it then. It will pay for itself. Just in its ability to get where a trailer or rv can’t and the ability to be up and see the land around you. Enjoy this great country. After all that’s what it’s all about. Camp on!
I agree with you 100%.

I think I'm going to pop on it next pay period.

I really appreciate your opinions!
No problem any other questions about the tent or anything else feel free to ask.

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Great points! Thank you so much for your opinions!

As a woman too, I have had the same feelings as you when I camp in my ground tent. Glad to hear that I am not the only one!

Have fun out there and thank you again for your time!
My pleasure!. And, fully agree -- we need to always be aware of our surroundings when ground camping solo. I remember waking up to my axe stuck to a note (on the tree I had my food hanging). Note stated: 'glad you did not wake up!' My food was gone, as well as some hiking gear I had spread out to dry. Geezzz. Gear wasn't even that expensive (mostly second-hand as I was a poor university student at the time). Friends say it was a bad joke from an opportunist. Still, I did not find that funny. I was in my early 20s. Took me about two years to find the courage to get back on the trails/camping alone. Glad I conquered that fear as it made me stronger to face other unpleasant situations while backcountry camping.

Journey on!

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Those trailers are so cool!

I was at an off-road show and saw one of these:

The articulating hitch on it was so cool, and I love the suspension under it!

Good luck with your future program. Have fun out there!
Oh nice. I was hoping to be at the Off-Road Expo in Arizona this year, but Covid and border closures changed all that. It looks like they will be holding it in October now, but work commitments/restrictions regarding cross-border travel is a 'no no' as well. *sad*
Stay safe, and thanks for the chat.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
My pleasure!. And, fully agree -- we need to always be aware of our surroundings when ground camping solo. I remember waking up to my axe stuck to a note (on the tree I had my food hanging). Note stated: 'glad you did not wake up!' My food was gone, as well as some hiking gear I had spread out to dry. Geezzz. Gear wasn't even that expensive (mostly second-hand as I was a poor university student at the time). Friends say it was a bad joke from an opportunist. Still, I did not find that funny. I was in my early 20s. Took me about two years to find the courage to get back on the trails/camping alone. Glad I conquered that fear as it made me stronger to face other unpleasant situations while backcountry camping.

Journey on!
:astonished: Shoot a few and word will get around!!

I've been using a cheap battery operated motion detector that seems to work good within about 50 ft. Harbor Freight has them for about $15. Then you would have an idea where to aim!!

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly

Journey on!
Wow! What a scary story. I would have been freaked out too! Not funny at all.

I am SO glad that you conquered that fear too! What a great way to turn around a not so pleasant situation.

Have fun out there!

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
Oh nice. I was hoping to be at the Off-Road Expo in Arizona this year, but Covid and border closures changed all that. It looks like they will be holding it in October now, but work commitments/restrictions regarding cross-border travel is a 'no no' as well. *sad*
Stay safe, and thanks for the chat.
I was going to go too! Covid changed my plans too.

Hopefully we will all get back to our new normal soon.

Thank you again for your opinions. I really appreciate it!