Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

Having a RTT mounted to a trailer in this case my Morris Mule Trailer is great I love to be able to disconnect the trailer base camp and head out to explore-fish etc. I don't always set up the annex just depends on how long I plan on staying in the area, campsite facilities etc. I also can hide my Porta Pottie , The annex is also great if your in an exposed area (wind) makes cooking a lot more enjoyable. There are some precautions that can be taken if your camping in an exposed area-there is nothing like being prepared for the worse or at least having options. I was on the road 4 months last year, this years it will be 6. Much of the time exposed to the wind.
I would talk to everyone I meet, get their perspective, what will your significant others needs be, what are your comfort level requirements-they change. Thirty years ago I was satisfied with a tarp over me-not now. Put some thought into the purchase before you purchase!! How often will you be using the set up? a few weekends a years or months on end. I find most people I talk to, doing what I'm doing pretty honest-ask people
thanks
Bob
ATTACH=full]61124[/ATTACH] Rear mounted Tepui-on Morris Mule.jpg

Attachments

Jason Harris

Rank II

Advocate II

I was prob the biggest fighter against rtt and I owned a lot of different configurations of ground tents and at one time was sleeping in the land cruiser, since I broke down and bought a rtt I couldn’t be happier at times I miss the roof rack space but it’s a good trade out

DawgRaider

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kennewick Washington
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Morton
Member #

Im a newbie to the rtt but I like the few times i have used it
Im in the process of building a trailer so it will go on there when I finish it so i can still have the truck mobile.
The one thing that takes getting use to is putting your boots on in the morning when flat on the tent floor im used to having a stool to sit on normally.
That would be the only negative I can think of and I had to think hard at that.

Jason Harris

Rank II

Advocate II

Im a newbie to the rtt but I like the few times i have used it
Im in the process of building a trailer so it will go on there when I finish it so i can still have the truck mobile.
The one thing that takes getting use to is putting your boots on in the morning when flat on the tent floor im used to having a stool to sit on normally.
That would be the only negative I can think of and I had to think hard at that.
I hang my legs out the side of the tent which makes it easier for me

Reactions: DawgRaider

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I really like the idea of a RTT, especially the up-off-the-ground aspect and having actual bedding. However, most trips will be with my wife and youngest son. A RTT would just be too small for us all. Plus, I'm not keen on the whole idea of being top heavy. Since I have a pick up bed, I'm not worried about storage space, so a ground tent would fit just fine for us right now.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I really like the idea of a RTT, especially the up-off-the-ground aspect and having actual bedding. However, most trips will be with my wife and youngest son. A RTT would just be too small for us all. Plus, I'm not keen on the whole idea of being top heavy. Since I have a pick up bed, I'm not worried about storage space, so a ground tent would fit just fine for us right now.
Before my RTT I was running a 6 man ground tent (for two or three of us) with cots. If I ever got rid of my RTT that’s what I’d go back to.

Reactions: roots66

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I just returned from 6 days of camping using my RTT. Zion to Valley of Fire. One day it rained non stop through the night. I would be hard to go back to a ground tent, even with a cot. The RTT was so comfortable, warm, easy and cozy that it made a world of difference. I have spent countless trips over 3 decades using different types and sizes of ground tents. Really small to small standup condo's. All higher end tents. They just no longer compare in my opinion.

TerraCrawler

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sweetwater, TN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Feeny
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK5NL
Roof Top Tent........but be aware of a few things.

Some of them can bet more involved than others to setup. If you are by yourself, and depending on how its mounted, it can be a task to deploy it. In the mornings, when you wake up and break camp, its likely to be full of dew. Which makes climbing around a bit more dangerous. For this reason I switched from my ARB Simpson III to a Alu-Cab Expedition 3. Takes me just a couple minutes to setup, and a couple minutes to take down. That said, I am all in on roof top tents.

Attachments

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Wow, a lot of good information here. I don't have a RTT tent yet but plan to get one. I really like the idea of getting up off the ground away from the critters. I have a Diamondback cover on my truck and a utility trailer. My plan is to build a rack to support an RTT on both my Diamond Back cover and my utility trailer. This way if I'm camping long term like when I go hunting and want to use my truck I can. On short trips to the ponds or lakes camping with my son I can just take the truck and our mountain bikes.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Another reason I, personally, don't have a RTT is the effort of constantly attaching/removing/storing one. My rig is my daily driver (40 miles each way to work). Since my second oldest son has a job as well as driving to school, he uses my wife's car nearly all the time. So, it's now also the family vehicle. Also, at any given time, I'm either using it for shuttling my youngest boy around, shopping, hauling and/or towing livestock, hay, feed, equipment, lumber, rocks, soil, mulch, manure, etc. Thus, I can't just install and leave it.

Traveler III

West Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Twomey
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have been back packing, camping for 55+ years, almost always in a tent. For a while I was sleeping in the back of my Jeep but did not like having to unload it each evening. Like many I have gone back and forth it on getting an RTT. I fly fish quite a bit so my typical trip is to set up camp, then head out to a stream somewhere for the day. Presently have a Core 6-person which sets up in minutes, throw in a couple of moving blankets on the floor, Coleman Deluxe Cot and sleeping bag and all set. For one person it's like a small apartment in the outdoors, I can take my chair inside in the evening an read next to the heater if it is getting chilly. I was close to getting an RTT late last year, then I came to the harsh realization of being 66+ with arthritis i needed to be able to stand up to stretch in the morning, sit in a chair to dress so for me personally the argument has been settled. RTT's do look cool when deployed, and I think it is great we have so many choices today.D902555D-D04F-4377-B664-30C24FEE2AB6.jpeg

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I have been back packing, camping for 55+ years, almost always in a tent. For a while I was sleeping in the back of my Jeep but did not like having to unload it each evening. Like many I have gone back and forth it on getting an RTT. I fly fish quite a bit so my typical trip is to set up camp, then head out to a stream somewhere for the day. Presently have a Core 6-person which sets up in minutes, throw in a couple of moving blankets on the floor, Coleman Deluxe Cot and sleeping bag and all set. For one person it's like a small apartment in the outdoors, I can take my chair inside in the evening an read next to the heater if it is getting chilly. I was close to getting an RTT late last year, then I came to the harsh realization of being 66+ with arthritis i needed to be able to stand up to stretch in the morning, sit in a chair to dress so for me personally the argument has been settled. RTT's do look cool when deployed, and I think it is great we have so many choices today.View attachment 150270
I have a Coleman 4 person that's very similar to that and it works great for one or two people. I also like that my vehicle isn't tied to it. We did a night run last year while out on a trip with buddies and that would have meant having to completely break my camp to ride out on the ridge with them.

We have the 10 man version of the Coleman as well for when the whole family will be going along for a trip.

Reactions: Jeepin It Simple

Kennith

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Delta, PA, USA
First Name
Kennith
Last Name
Young
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFV432 (GMRS)
We have a Roof Top Tent. We’ve had it for 3 years now and love it.

Reactions: TerryD

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I like the idea of those smaller clamshell type RTT. Park, pop it open, and crawl in to sleep.
Yes, the hard shell RTT's are hard to beat.

One huge advantage over the canvas fold out type is that you can set up camp, leaving the RTT closed. This way you have the option of using your truck whenever you need to during the day or evening. The RTT does not have to be deployed until a minute or 2 before going to bed.

Downside is, they cost a lot more.

Then again, if you plan on camping for many years, the cost is justified IMHO.

Leaving it on the truck year round does result in far more "spur of the moment" weekend trips too.

IMG_1076.JPG

Last edited:

jmjardine

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sonoma County, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
J
Member #

We went with the Gauna Equipment RTT due to its massive annex. Our Son is 20 and Daughter is 17 and the annex is like a small dorm. You also could easily sleep 3 comfortably up top. Takes about 10-15min to setup all. Less than 5min for just the top. If money was no object, we would go with the iKamper hard top once both kids are in college.

IMG_7546.JPG

Edwin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Edwin
Last Name
Sung
Member #

I got a weird cross between a RTT and a camper? I always assume the worst before making a purchase such as sideways rain. Trying to put up or packing a ground tent windy and rainy conditions suck. With RTT the main benefit is the ability to stay out of the mud and the ease of setup and takedown.

Attachments