Roof Top Tent on a Topper Shell

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

WanderRig

Rank I

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

Thanks for all the replies, guys. The total static weight of the topper, rack, and tent comes to about 450lbs. After consulting a few other resources, I've concluded (hopefully, rightfully so!) that given the fact that the total combined weight of the topper, rack, rooftop tent, and it's occasional occupants will be spread out over all three surfaces of the bed rails I should be fine. I mean, I'm 240lbs, and I can stand on one foot on the bedrail without it deflecting, or deforming in any way. I just can't see how a static 500lbs, evenly distributed across some 15 ft or so poses any significant problem. If it was carrying that much weight, that high, and in a crosswind, I could see the issue. I hope I'm right!

ChaseIt

Rank VI

Advocate III

Sacramento
Member #

Good morning - Brand new Nashville, TN-based member with a question about your SnugTop. How are you liking it so far? I am about to pull the trigger on one for my truck, and have been wringing my hands about which manufacturer to go with. Any input about your experience would be welcome!

Thanks!
First of all welcome!
I like the Snugtop. Looks good, hasn't leaked so it does what I need it to do. I am glad I got the reenforced roof for piece of mind. I Don't have a RTT yet and I know IT will handle the weight no problem but I've been hearing people talking about how the bed rails can't handle the weight. I've also heard people say thats BS. The bed rails that failed were extremely over loaded - more than a RTT and 2 people. I also find it interesting that if that were true that companies like CBI, Relentless Fab, Wilco and others make bed racks that attach to the bed rail (I'm speaking about Tacomas). I can't say but it's defiantly something to look into. The good news or bad news for me is I can't afford a RTT right now anyway so I don't have to worry about it. I would recommend the Snugtop based on my experience.

Horse Soldier

Rank V

Advocate III

Louisville Ky
Member #

I use metal topper with 2 side doors and the rear door. I have put up to 1000 pounds on top, my rtt, myself,my wife, PC water tubes 10 inches wide and 6 ft long x 2, 270 awning. This is all on top and my kitchen is inside the topper. Fiberglass will not do this.

VanDubs

Rank I

Contributor II

As a Tacoma owner I understand this issue all too well. My problem was finding one that would support the weight with a guarantee that I wouldn't destroy it. Leer couldn't give me that guarantee as they would only quote their dynamic load, not a static, so I sold my Leer and have moved on. The ARE Overland edition was my first choice since their loads can support a RTT plus people, but I decided to spend an extra $400 and buy an Alu Cab Explorer Canopy. I'm waiting on it to come in now and I have no doubts it will be better suited for this than any other choice out there. It's all aluminum construction by one of the best manufacturers in the world. It has some cool add-ons too if you're in the market, definitely check into it for your Taco.
I think I’m going the same route myself. I have a KBVoodoo rack but I want a little extra security to keep honest people honest. I love the low profile of my rack but the weatherproof/enclosed bed appeals to me. Plus it give my dog a dry place to sleep at night.

BPCLFD

Rank I

Member I

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

I use metal topper with 2 side doors and the rear door. I have put up to 1000 pounds on top, my rtt, myself,my wife, PC water tubes 10 inches wide and 6 ft long x 2, 270 awning. This is all on top and my kitchen is inside the topper. Fiberglass will not do this.
What kinda topper do you have Pic?

FozRoamer

Rank V

Advocate II

NorCal Bay Area
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

Yeah its two things with camper shell companies.
1. CYA
2. Get more money out of you.

I have the ARE overland series and was told by a rep from ARE that they actually test the camper shells by driving cars on top of them, they do this with their entire line of shells. My camper shell is not reinforced and I do not run a RTT on it but I do have a FrontRunner Rack and I put additional gear and an OzTent RV5 on top of that never had any issues. If you are that worried about it just install a nice roof rack on the roof of your truck and put it there. I have tons of friends running RTT on their non-contractor series shells on all kinds of different brands never heard of one cracking.

0b8c4e7d-10ea-428d-b9f2-0b810610d866

Reactions: RoarinRow

Horse Soldier

Rank V

Advocate III

Louisville Ky
Member #

I used angle steel and tubing and bilt and exoskeleton roof rack on the outside of his topper. Bed rail over the top to the other bed rail. I and looking try and do it in aluminum buy the end of summer.

FozRoamer

Rank V

Advocate II

NorCal Bay Area
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

After some MAJOR "dodging of the weight" questions from ARE customer service FB page they FINALLY gave me a real weight number. (I even took screen shots of the reply haha) I had asked them for the dynamic weight load rating but they stated they only test for stationary weight. Their stationary weight on an ARE overland series camper shell (not additionally structurally supported like the contractor series) would hold 800lbs of evenly distributed stationary weight. Most of the shell companies I talked to say 250lbs dynamic loads are acceptable but ARE refused to give a number for this dynamic weight....At least I got a real number out of them regarding stationary weight. So there ya go 800lbs, thats a lot of weight! Don't waste your money on the contractor models unless you plan on sleeping with Godzilla on your roof.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

After some MAJOR "dodging of the weight" questions from ARE customer service FB page they FINALLY gave me a real weight number. (I even took screen shots of the reply haha) I had asked them for the dynamic weight load rating but they stated they only test for stationary weight. Their stationary weight on an ARE overland series camper shell (not additionally structurally supported like the contractor series) would hold 800lbs of evenly distributed stationary weight. Most of the shell companies I talked to say 250lbs dynamic loads are acceptable but ARE refused to give a number for this dynamic weight....At least I got a real number out of them regarding stationary weight. So there ya go 800lbs, thats a lot of weight! Don't waste your money on the contractor models unless you plan on sleeping with Godzilla on your roof.
Whew that's good to know since I have the ARE Overland topper as well.