Roof top storage boxes

• HTML tutorial

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

I'm look for recommendations on a good, high quality steel/aluminum, lockable storage box that I can mount to the front portion of my Gobi Stealth rack roof. I know Gobi itself makes a stealth box, but it's a little short. I'm looking for something I can mount (bolt) to the rack, not take on and off with straps. What are you guys using for roof top storage boxes?

Reactions: Luis Merlo

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

Small vehicle here...so I use 2 x Pelican style cases...works for me !...cheersView attachment 5292
Nice. I was considering the pelican cases as a solution being they come in all shapes and sizes. I'd just hate to ruin their waterproofness by drilling through them to attach to the roof. Yeah, I could strap them, but solid connections give me peace of mind when I'm away from the rig.

Reactions: dventoza

KicknDirt

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Huntington Beach, CA
Member #

So I use a pelican style case by SKB cases. They make a huge number of options and more affordable then pelican. The latches are WAY easier to use then the Pelicans. I have bolted mine through the case and into the rack. I use rubber washers to make it water proof. It occasionally needs to be tightened. Here is a pict of the cases (using straps because my rack wasn't in yet).

Weight is also not as much as some other options.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Nice. I was considering the pelican cases as a solution being they come in all shapes and sizes. I'd just hate to ruin their waterproofness by drilling through them to attach to the roof. Yeah, I could strap them, but solid connections give me peace of mind when I'm away from the rig.
I agree Pelican cases come in a whole ranges of shapes and sizes but from experience they come in one price range - "very expensive"

Reactions: Ergon