• HTML tutorial

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

I mostly use military surplus FOR 68 deployment bags I pick up cheap. They are water resistant and very strong. Unless a lot of rain is in the forecast, and then I use the cheap plano boxed that everyone else uses.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Have you thought about roof top cargo boxes like Yakima and Thule? They can hold enormous amounts of gear. I usually put light and bulky items like sleeping bags, tents, and camp chairs up there. They are weatherproof, lockable, and fairly light.

I know you have a Gobi rack so you may have to get creative on mounting, but I'm sure it's doable.

Reactions: Schake

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think i have shown my setup here before somewhere. I have some EO2 mounts on my rack (bolted down to the rack bars) with chicken coop flooring around them. Pelican 1730 transport cases with the EO2 mounts on the bottom. They snap on, and lock. I can open up the cases on the rack and live out of them. Works really well. No annoying straps, secure, water proof, huge.

Last edited:

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I think i have shown my setup here before somewhere. I have some EO2 mounts on my rack (bolted down to the rack bars) with chicken coop flooring around them. Pelican 1730 transport cases with the EO2 mounts on the bottom. They snap on, and lock. I can open up the cases on the rack and live out of them. Works really well. No annoying straps, secure, water proof, huge.

I like the look or the roof set up but why did you pick a white Disco 4?

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I like the look or the roof set up but why did you pick a white Disco 4?
1. white is the only non-metallic base/clear option, cheap to fix/paint match
2. It contrasts with the rear glass the best. dark colors blend too much and the back end looks like a van or something.
3. It stays cool significantly more easily than dark colors.
4. Every vehicle I have ever owned has been white. 6+ vehicles now.

What is wrong with white?

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

2. It contrasts with the rear glass the best. dark colors blend too much and the back end looks like a van or something.
sorry, I was messing with you. for some time here in the UK white vehicles were the "cheap" option. bizarrely white vehicles gave become popular and it seems everyone has picked a white vehicle. I can't wait until the next "popular" colour forces those who feel the need to follow the crowd are forced to sell and buy the next favourable colour

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

sorry, I was messing with you. for some time here in the UK white vehicles were the "cheap" option. bizarrely white vehicles gave become popular and it seems everyone has picked a white vehicle. I can't wait until the next "popular" colour forces those who feel the need to follow the crowd are forced to sell and buy the next favourable colour
Oh, no problem. No offense taken. Besides the fact that I do like white, I did get it because it was the cheap option. I keep my rig pretty clean, but I do use it for real work and real trips, so I knew I would mess it up. I have already had to get parts repainted a few times.

As I mentioned, white is cheap to repaint because it is just primer, base (white) and clear.. no special flake or metallic to mix in.. nothing complex to match or feather in. I was thinking of that when I ordered it. (I special ordered this, got lucky on the timing too, since its a 2013 with HD package... end of the V8 era)

Reactions: Glenn

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
All good ideas here. It's hard to decide on waterproof bags or hard cases. Both have their plus and minuses. Think of the gear that will be in the bag/case; do you want to access it while is up there only or have the ability to bring it down to use or access the bag/case.

I agree with a post earlier about weight up top. I do understand that with 4 adults and maybe the family dog in the back means all gear must go somewhere. So keeping it low profile and weight to a min is key.
Even putting a spare tire on the roof rack and go driving around you can feel the extra body roll. And that's only ~100lbs. Our camping gear usually consists of our stuff we use for backpacking so that keeps things smaller and lighter...except for the Coleman stove that we use for sure.

I'm in the same position where I will need to start storing all my gear on top. Baby seat and 85lbs dog. Sucks, but short of getting a trailer that's my only option.

So keep the ideas coming

cam_toyota_tech

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Thoughts on the Action Packer 48gal? I've run the 24gal for years of abuse with great success. Out of curiosity I went to their site and found the make a long 48gal size

cam_toyota_tech

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

weight up top
Agree about weight. Some of the pelican cases can be pretty heavy. My 1630 case which I use inside the rear cargo area is significantly heavier than the 1730 transport cases which are larger. Turns out that is ok, because I keep heavy things, including the camp kitchen in the more sturdy inside case, and all i ever have to do is roll it out onto the tailgate on open it. I never have to lug it down to the ground.

We also camp with 2 adults and 2 kids and the LR4 fills up fast. The trip we did a couple years ago to Colorado, I used the roof cases just for all the bedding. We go in total comfort with the sleeping pads and whatnot, so it eats up space, but bedding is light. The cases are nice if you want to take them down, sit on them, use them as workspace, but I almost always just left them on the rack, stood on the lower tailgate or the ladder and pulled gear out of them. The cases on the roof are nice for sitting high up also. Since I can walk around on my rack it is a bit easier to work with also (and bonus! I don't have any ratchet straps to deal with... i hate those on long trips)

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I do like this thread something that I have been looking at for sometime without the 'solution' for me. For my use I am still considering the roof top cargo box but could imagine how those could be damaged easily. IDK going to keep watching see if someone else found the right box.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Agree about weight. Some of the pelican cases can be pretty heavy. My 1630 case which I use inside the rear cargo area is significantly heavier than the 1730 transport cases which are larger. Turns out that is ok, because I keep heavy things, including the camp kitchen in the more sturdy inside case, and all i ever have to do is roll it out onto the tailgate on open it. I never have to lug it down to the ground.

We also camp with 2 adults and 2 kids and the LR4 fills up fast. The trip we did a couple years ago to Colorado, I used the roof cases just for all the bedding. We go in total comfort with the sleeping pads and whatnot, so it eats up space, but bedding is light. The cases are nice if you want to take them down, sit on them, use them as workspace, but I almost always just left them on the rack, stood on the lower tailgate or the ladder and pulled gear out of them. The cases on the roof are nice for sitting high up also. Since I can walk around on my rack it is a bit easier to work with also (and bonus! I don't have any ratchet straps to deal with... i hate those on long trips)

I'd kill for a decent set of Pelican cases but they're extautionately expensive. I'll make do with my Hannibal roof boxes and cover.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I'd kill for a decent set of Pelican cases but they're extautionately expensive. I'll make do with my Hannibal roof boxes and cover.
I searched for a long time for a system or set of cases that I thought would work best. The pelicans seemed expensive, I agree, but in the end I needed something that would hold up to weather, had good o-rings/seals on them, and could be locked. I wanted something I could easily get into on the rack without straps but had to be secure in an urban setting.. and frankly in a hungry bear setting. Pretty sure a bear can eat through a pelican, but it would hold up to most situations.

I know that Michael and others have used the plano cases. I use those inside the vehicle, but they are so flimsy and don't seal up anywhere near what a pelican does. Plus it is pretty easy to punch a hole in them. I use one as my food and misc items storage.

I love seeing other solutions though. I think this general topic (gear storage and packing solutions) was what I was hunting for when I ran across the "Overland Bound: Out of Town in 20 Minutes" video. I have a special area and shelf for all my gear, so I can load up and go very quickly. I'd post a picture, but I seem to always post a picture with every post.. and I dont want to annoy anyone. I think visuals help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

here's a link to a German company who produce storage facilities for the sides of vehicles. One of my favourite items is the bonnet bag, but it is specific to the Land Rover Defender. the company website is delta bags. com but the link to the bonnet bag is https://www.delta-bags.com/category-2/product-30-143.html

You tube Link -

Last edited:
Reactions: Talisker

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

Awesome set up!

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

What is wrong with white?
Plus, white doesn't show pin striping as badly as black and other colors do!

Cohinds4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waco, Texas
Member #

parker-plastic-sc3822-12-big.jpg I found a company that sells shipping cases, they look very rugged with steel hardware and Orings. Also they cost less than Pelican or similar brands. I have been looking one in particular that is 38"x22"x12" because it would maximize storage up top on my roof rack for camping gear. What do you guys think?
http://www.parkercasedepot.com/proddetail.php?prod=SC3822-12

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Those look like a decent option. White is also better for reflecting heat. The lock 'tab' in the middle doesn't look too strong, but might be enough to deter most hooligans. What kind of inside dimensions does it have? (how thick is it?) The height, 12" is good for a rack. Seems to have huge footprint, probably take up full width of the rack, which could be nice.

The Pelican 1730's i use are ID: 34" L x 24" W x 12.50" D OD: 37.05" L x 27.20" W x 14.37" D Weight: Empty 39 lb ... so 14.37" height. It's not too tall, but getting close for a rack IMO.. especially on an already tall LR4 with a lift. The thing is.. im not sure some of my big sleeping bags would fit with an ID height much under 12". Food for thought.

Cohinds4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waco, Texas
Member #

Those look like a decent option. White is also better for reflecting heat. The lock 'tab' in the middle doesn't look too strong, but might be enough to deter most hooligans. What kind of inside dimensions does it have? (how thick is it?) The height, 12" is good for a rack. Seems to have huge footprint, probably take up full width of the rack, which could be nice.

The Pelican 1730's i use are ID: 34" L x 24" W x 12.50" D OD: 37.05" L x 27.20" W x 14.37" D Weight: Empty 39 lb ... so 14.37" height. It's not too tall, but getting close for a rack IMO.. especially on an already tall LR4 with a lift. The thing is.. im not sure some of my big sleeping bags would fit with an ID height much under 12". Food for thought.
So my bad, got the specs mixed up, the case is actually: ID: 38"L x 22"W x 12"D, OD: 39.5"L x 29.5" W x 13.5"D Weight: Empty 31 lb. Yes, I like the fact that it would just about fill up the width of the rack, and the height isn't too bad, I would draw the line at 14". But Im still not 100% sold on it just yet, still looking and comparing other options. I still cant wrap my head around paying that much for storage.

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I still cant wrap my head around paying that much for storage.
For sure is a lot, but still fits squarely in the buy once cry once category. The pelicans are not going to give me problems with security, strength, seals (replaceable also), etc. I am happy with them. They are over built though and a little heavy, but it fits in with the rest of the rig. :D

I hadn't even really added up all I have spent on my rack setup.. dare I? This is going to suck...

1. Voyager Low Profile Roof Rack $1100
2. Voyager Ladder $250
3. 3x sheets Polymax flooring $100
4. 2x (EO)2 16" with lock, snaptop rails $220
5. 2x (EO)2 22" low profile bottom rails $132
6. (EO) mount hardware (plus or minus some stuff from hardware store) $40
7. 2x Front runner jerry can mounts $200
8. 2x Pelican 1730 Transport cases $700
9. voyager molded wind fairing $260
10. OPT7 40 amp relay for front light bar $25 (plus more for wire)
11. OPT7 LED light bar dimmer/strobe/keychain remote $40
12. OPT7 cree led spots, 18watt (2 lights) $50
13. u-Box cree LED light bar 1" slim 108watt 37" spot flood combo $85
(not including the stack of wedco jerry's i bought.. or the CB mount, whip, or other things i put on it)

$3,202

So, ouch.. but I did it over a few years, its perfect for me and I should get lots of life out of it.