Roof top storage boxes

• HTML tutorial

Cohinds4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waco, Texas
Member #

For sure is a lot, but still fits squarely in the buy once cry once category. The pelicans are not going to give me problems with security, strength, seals (replaceable also), etc. I am happy with them. They are over built though and a little heavy, but it fits in with the rest of the rig. :D

I hadn't even really added up all I have spent on my rack setup.. dare I? This is going to suck...

1. Voyager Low Profile Roof Rack $1100
2. Voyager Ladder $250
3. 3x sheets Polymax flooring $100
4. 2x (EO)2 16" with lock, snaptop rails $220
5. 2x (EO)2 22" low profile bottom rails $132
6. (EO) mount hardware (plus or minus some stuff from hardware store) $40
7. 2x Front runner jerry can mounts $200
8. 2x Pelican 1730 Transport cases $700
9. voyager molded wind fairing $260
10. OPT7 40 amp relay for front light bar $25 (plus more for wire)
11. OPT7 LED light bar dimmer/strobe/keychain remote $40
12. OPT7 cree led spots, 18watt (2 lights) $50
13. u-Box cree LED light bar 1" slim 108watt 37" spot flood combo $85
(not including the stack of wedco jerry's i bought.. or the CB mount, whip, or other things i put on it)
$3,202

So, ouch.. but I did it over a few years, its perfect for me and I should get lots of life out of it.
Ouch is right, you've had a lot of "buy once, cry once" moments over the years, but so have I, not necessarily on the roof rack because I fab'd it up for pretty cheap, but yes I feel your pain.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I like the look of those cases but as for the Pelican cases, prices here are ridiculous. I need to find someone who sells them at a "sensible" price here in the UK

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I ran a Pelican Hurricane case on my Gobi for about 6 years and it never showed a sign of any water getting it. I bolts through the bottom with fender washers and gasket material on either side of the case to help keep it water tight.

DurhamtownGA.jpg

Was very happy with it but when I built my drawer system I wanted to move the weight off the roof and back down low. I still wanted somewhere to store some spare parts and tool that aren't accessed very often but didn't want a case that sat so tall. I ended up going with a Plano Tactical case. I was getting water in initially but I put a bead of silicon around the lip and it's been good ever since.

contents2.jpg

sideview.jpg

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
I think i have shown my setup here before somewhere. I have some EO2 mounts on my rack (bolted down to the rack bars) with chicken coop flooring around them. Pelican 1730 transport cases with the EO2 mounts on the bottom. They snap on, and lock. I can open up the cases on the rack and live out of them. Works really well. No annoying straps, secure, water proof, huge.
Very cool - but

NW4XForester

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Federal Way WA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Bayer
Member #

I have an old aluminum military med case I use for storage, I haven't tried it on my roof rack yet but I'm sure it would fit well and it has a good rubber seal. IMG_1597.JPG
I use a pelican 1550 for my tool box as well.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Spurs14

Rank 0

Contributor II

Uk
I'm running two medium Plano storage boxes , used to have an aluminium case but much prefer the plastic option now , they work well seal good and don't draw unwanted attention which I felt a shiny ally box did

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I run a pair of plano "tactical all weather rifle cases" on my rack full time via bolts with a dab of silicone to get the stuff I desire to have with me all the time out of my rear storage area and keep it all available without unpacking even when the rear area is loaded full. One case houses my hammock, chair, small table, bedding, and a spare set of clothes. The other case contains my recovery rope, tree strap, soft shackles, jumper cables, and air compressor. When I toss other things up there temporarily they are usually in pelican cases or are jerry cans.

Key to the use of the plano cases all the time is that they keep me under the height restriction to get into my work parking garage!

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I’ve been using one of these from Home Depot. I only store some bedding and such in it. So far, it has kept out dust and dirt. I haven’t had the chance to use it in wet weather yet. It does have a rubber seal though, so it should do just fine in the rain. We’ll see.
393E98BD-3984-4854-85CD-CA142EBEA83B.png

noah.wass

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Noah
Last Name
Wass
Member #

Look up ECS Case on eBay. They're a rotomolded case that stack well, are durable, lock, are watertight, and have pressure relief valves.

Reactions: SubeeBen

TOMITOMATO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

PROSPECT HEIGHTS IL
Member #

I run a pair of plano "tactical all weather rifle cases" on my rack full time via bolts with a dab of silicone to get the stuff I desire to have with me all the time out of my rear storage area and keep it all available without unpacking even when the rear area is loaded full. One case houses my hammock, chair, small table, bedding, and a spare set of clothes. The other case contains my recovery rope, tree strap, soft shackles, jumper cables, and air compressor. When I toss other things up there temporarily they are usually in pelican cases or are jerry cans.

Key to the use of the plano cases all the time is that they keep me under the height restriction to get into my work parking garage!
How’s the wind noise with both of them babies mounted?