louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Looking back, it seems that I always knew how to roll a fatty. When my oldest son was in high school and talking about going to college, I knew it was time for him to learn. Fast forward a few years and he is now a junior in college. We just did a camping trip together in the Ozarks where I witnessed him rolling the perfect fatty. Not only did he roll one for himself, but he also rolled one for the old man. A lump formed in my throat and a tear rolled down my cheek as I realized my baby boy is now a man....

As everyone knows, a "fatty" is an over-stuffed tortilla usually filled with a variety of left overs that were destined for the trash can, but when combined in a tortilla and topped with cheese and hot sauce, it becomes a formidable meal. A true fatty is so over-stuffed that when rolled, the ends may not even touch and both hands are required to wrap around it to to hold it together until finished. When camping, a fatty is the perfect way to use small amounts of left overs that aren't capable of making a meal on their own..

As with the start of ANY good meal, start by heating a pot of cooking oil...

IMG_0505.JPG

Add a base of fried potato slices to a large tortilla

IMG_3988.JPG

Add egg, cheese and any left over meat/meat product/meat by-product...preferably SPAM

IMG_3989.JPG

Top with avocado, sour cream and hot sauce

IMG_0514.JPG

PERFECTION!

IMG_0510.JPG

Notice the perfect execution of the two handed grip...that's my boy!

IMG_4003.JPG

Well done, my son...well done....

IMG_3996.JPG

Stay with me for the next thread: Rolling a Fatty at Broken Bow...:grinning:

IMG_0495.JPG

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Thread is not at all what I was expecting.

When I saw "Ozarks" and "rolling a fatty" I just automatically assumed this was going to be some kind of family reunion, overlanding fusion.

Sort of disappointed.

• Haha
Reactions: Sparksalot

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Glad you had a good time! A favorite camp breakfast of ours. Lets roll a fatty in WA ;)

• Love
Reactions: grubworm

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

My Glamis group makes a delicacy we call "Dog-a-dillas." Flour tortilla, hot dog (must be cooked on a BBQ), refried beans (if you haven't tried these, they're great), cheese of course, then fixin's to taste (sour cream, various salsas.

-TJ

Reactions: lhoffm4 and Ubiety

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
a delicacy we call "Dog-a-dillas." Flour tortilla, hot dog
hummm....
i've worked overseas and eaten many a meat-on-a-stick from dubious street vendors at 2am and i've even bought tamales sold out of the back of a station wagon...but i have to respectfully draw the line at hot dogs.....:expressionless:

1615323758194.png

• Haha
Reactions: Ubiety and Correus

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

hummm....
i've worked overseas and eaten many a meat-on-a-stick from dubious street vendors at 2am and i've even bought tamales sold out of the back of a station wagon...but i have to respectfully draw the line at hot dogs.....:expressionless:

View attachment 190548
This guy is not convinced with your sincerity Screenshot_20210309-152423~2.png

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

hummm....

View attachment 190548
What you said, plus your moniker 'Grubworm' reminded me of a favorite fruit juice street vendor in Cairo. We loved getting sugarcane juice from him every day; that is until SWMBO noticed a piece of sugarcane before he put it in his hand-cranked juicer - it had sugarcane borers crawling on it. After that she never touched it - but I did!!

Reactions: Ubiety and grubworm