Rock sliders - paint, powdercoat or linex???

• HTML tutorial

JoshMTN4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Monroe, WA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Martin
Member #

I spray line x. I would do line x. That’s stuff is insane.
How long have you had the Line-x on your sliders? - Have you bashed some rocks pretty good on them and has the Line-X ever come off in sheets or need repairs?

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

How long have you had the Line-x on your sliders? - Have you bashed some rocks pretty good on them and has the Line-X ever come off in sheets or need repairs?
I personally don’t have them on mine. But I have sprayed on running boards and bumpers. We can spray a bed with line x and in 30 min you can throw cinder blocks in it. It is super tough. Also line x gives a lifetime warranty (that’s on a spray in bed liner) I’m sure it would carry maybe on anything sprayed with lime x but the is up to the individual shop it’s self. Also if it chipped up super easy fix

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been posted...

I would paint them, then LineX (or rattle can equivalent if you're cheap like me) just the tops of them as a non-skid surface, IF you use them as a step. If not, then just paint. Much cheaper and easier to touch up with a rattle can. The sliders on my old ZJ were painted, and I'd repaint them once a year, and touch up as needed. They always looked good.

Reactions: JoshMTN4R

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Another for paint. Easy to touch up, and cheap.

tstead60

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego California
Member #

If you plan on using, them there isn't a paint out there that will with stand being dragged on rocks. So you'll already be touching them up with paint anyways

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Rattle can flat black. Easy to use and easy for touch ups on the fzj80.
Rock rash, paint and repeat!
Gotta agree with the rattle can option. My main reason would be ease of touch up and repaint.

It seems to me that, even if the powder coat or bed liner holds up better to moderate wear, after some bashes here and there getting them re-coated will be a royal pain.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Rattle can bedliner. Easy to touch up as noted, has texture for gettin in and out.

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

My 4X Innovation sliders are supposed to be delivered today. I will have them powder coated, figuring that for most of the surface area of the sliders, this is the best, longest lasting protection. For the areas likely to contact rocks and be scratched, I can touch those up up with paint as needed. Since these would mostly be underneath and out of sight, I'm not overly concerned about a cosmetic match...just the rust protection.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Probably linex would take a hit the best.

I had it my half ton and dropping 200 pound chunks of slate in the back wasn't a problem.. not sure how it handles the other way.. like dropping a vehicle on it. :)

Reactions: 12AMJKU

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

Mine came powder coated. Now sporting some black rattle can touch ups. Would saved a few bucks and just painted them. Thats the plan when the bumper arrives.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

If your sliders are going to be used for sliding I would avoid LineX and those types of products. The grippy texture doesn't promote slide and the coating just chips and peels off the bottom.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I paid to have my sliders powder coated and added grip tape from Lowe's to the tops of the tubes to make it safer to stand on. I hope the powder coat will stand up where it's attached to the frame. Where they get used though, I have to keep them touched up on the bottom side. I generally use the rattle cans of Rustoleum to touch them up.

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

If your sliders are going to be used for sliding I would avoid LineX and those types of products. The grippy texture doesn't promote slide and the coating just chips and peels off the bottom.
If Applied and prepared properly and to the correct mil thickness, you are not getting it off.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

If Applied and prepared properly and to the correct mil thickness, you are not getting it off.
Fair point. How many people do you know that apply it to the right mil spec.

Besides that, I want my sliders slick. Even if that means having to touch up from time to time.

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

Fair point. How many people do you know that apply it to the right mil spec.

Besides that, I want my sliders slick. Even if that means having to touch up from time to time.
Well, we do to the proper mil spec, anyone who doesn’t as a franchise is only hurting themselves and the company, and the amount of money you have to put up to become a franchise, i wouldn’t even dream of going under spec.

So... I’ll meet you in the middle, line-x the top paint the bottom.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Well, we do to the proper mil spec, anyone who doesn’t as a franchise is only hurting themselves and the company, and the amount of money you have to put up to become a franchise, i wouldn’t even dream of going under spec.

So... I’ll meet you in the middle, line-x the top paint the bottom.
hahaha. Ok. The middle middle is fine with me.

I have experience with a lot of coatings from a quality standpoint. That was 10 years ago, though, when I was working in a lab for a chem supplier for the military and a lot can have changed since then. But I noticed a great difference between what the manufacturer can claim and what the reality of a coatings tolerances are. Being out of the game for 10 years, I guess I can't really comment on how well the coatings hold up anymore.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
There aint no paint or coating. Out there that wont eventually fail. Spent a life time blasting and coating every thing from Heavey plant to. Ocean going tugs. Even Sa 2.5 standeds Nothing mskes my laff more that spending weeks blasting a vessel then as she slips out the locks hits a ballard and a big chunk of new ££££ paint falls in to the salty lol. But Ive been using raptor on. Running boards etc and to my amazment it takes some shit. And RUST NEVER SLEEPS BRO. !!!!!!!