Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Grove, CA 95690, USA
First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Decided to have a "Man Day", just me and my son. We went for a day excursion up to Signal Peak (7/30/16) to get out of the house. It is a quick drive up to there, ran the trail, and enjoyed a nice chocolate milk and the view from the top. We made out way back home for a late lunch.

10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 16.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg

Reactions: mase001

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

At the top of Signal Peak, standing in the doorway to the old look-out.
20160730_094245-1.jpg

Enjoying a cold, refreshing chocolate milk at the top.
20160730_092302-1.jpg

A veiw looking out from the old look-out.
20160730_093927-1.jpg

Reactions: mase001

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

About a week later, I met up with some folks from Exposition Portal and T4R to run Slick Rock. We met up at the gas station at Bear Valley Village. From there, we headed up to Lake Alpine and turned in towards the trail head. We went back in and aired down. From there, we headed in. We stopped by the stream to meet a couple people and chat for a few.

20160806_094730.jpg

From there, we continued the adventure.

20160806_101837.jpg
20160806_101845.jpg
20160806_101919.jpg

And then things got interesting;

20160806_104337.jpg
20160806_104351.jpg
20160806_104423-1.jpg

Reactions: jrbechthold

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

After some trails, I noticed that the rear drive shaft was hitting and rubbing on the fuel tank skid plate. After reviewing the conditions and axle movement, I determined that this was happening on full compression of the rear suspension, as the axle pushed to the drivers side due to the arc of the panhard bar.

I came up with a simple fix, cut out the section of skid plate and move back the attachment point to make enough clearance for this condition and weld it all back up.

Gas Skid Fix - 1.jpg Gas Skid Fix - 2.jpg Gas Skid Fix - 3.jpg Gas Skid Fix - 4.jpg Gas Skid Fix - 5.jpg

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

A little update. Over the Christmas holiday, decided to get a lot of items done, both maintenance as well as a a few small modifications. The list of work was;
  • Swap-out passenger CV as it was spitting grease from the boot
  • Weld-on spindle gusstes
  • Oil & filter change
  • Change front & rear diffs
Pretty straight forward.

I start with the CV swap and sindle gussets. Disassemble the passenger side and remove the CV. Then, fit up the gusset, tack up and the remove spindle for welding. Install new OEM CV and continue to stich weld the gusset to spindle in order to not overheat and warp the spindle.

Since there is some waiting during the welding process, move over to disassemble of the other side and repeat, minus the CV swap, and assemble. During this, I now move to draining the rear diff fluid and then fill.

OK, now front is fully assembled, rear diff changed, skid plates removed and begin the oil change. This is pretty straigt forward. Get this buttoned and and on to the final task, front diff and the train derails at this point!

Get the 10 mm hex head socket and go to remove the drain plug and nothing, could not budge it. OK, sleeve the ratched for some added leverage. Still no movement. DAMN IT! I was putting so much force of the tools, they were flexing and still nothing except, wait for it...... completely stripping the bolt out so the allen would not grab anything.

So the serious cursing, pacing and thinking begins. I come up with the idea of getting a ball end allen, hoping I can get it to bind up and catch as well as apply some heat to the diff housing at the drain plug. Nope, that did not work, actually stipped it out worse. (Insert cursing rant here!).

Well, OK, I do have the welder out. Hmmmm, maybe i will go for it and sacrifice a tool and drain plug (both relatively inexpensive) and weld in the allen socket and give it hell. So, I go for it and put several tacks onto it as best as I can. Grab the ratchet again and, BAM, that came out fairly easy. WTF??! Well, drain the fuild and of course no place is open or has the drain plug in stock just before Christmas. To hell with it, I decide to cut of the socket part, files the edges smooth and put a little more weld on it so now I can remove with a box end wrench, install the bastard and fill with oil and re-install all of the skids.

And time for a beer. That was one hell of a day. I guess I should order a new drain plug one of these days.

Spindle Gusset - 1.jpg Spindle Gusset - 2.jpg Spindle Gusset - 3.jpg Spindle Gusset - 4.jpg Drain Plug - 1.jpg Drain Plug - 3.jpg Drain Plug - 4.jpg

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

A few updates of various things;

Since the install of the 4X4Labs front bumper, I have been without a washer bottle reservoir. I had bought the Shrockworks reservoir, but the ARB compressor is mounted there and I just am not able to make the Shrockworks bottle fit anywhere. I finally had an idea to use the same concept but have one built that I can fit. With relocating the airpump, power steering reservoir and AC fitting, I can get a bottle to fit in the that area. I had a new reservoir fabbed at a local metal shop based on the space available.

20170205_110310.jpg

Now, after some measurements and re-measurements, started making the mounting bracket for all of the devices and water bottle. Still have more work, but this is the start.

Washer Bottle Mount - 1.jpg
Washer Bottle Mount - 2.jpg

Attachments

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Finished my replacement wash fluid reservoir since the stock one was eliminated with the 4X4Labs bumper. I had a custom built reservoir built to my dimensions and then fabbed up a mounting place for the new bottle and mounts to relocate the air pump, steering fuid reservoir and AC fitting.

Washer Bottle Mount - 2.jpg Washer bottle mount - 3.jpg Washer bottle mount - 5.jpg Washer bottle mount - 6.jpg Washer bottle mount - 7.jpg Washer bottle mount - 8.jpg