Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Grove, CA 95690, USA
First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

I'll start with this is my first post here, but in no way new to offroadinf and forums.

This is the 4th build since 1999, but have been out offroading since before then. All vehicles have been Toyota's.

It all started when I picked up a '86 SR5 4X4 after getting out of the Marine Corps. That truck is still missed to this day. Unfortunately, someone wanted it more than I did, some much so, they stole the thing.

Since then, I have had the following;

1981 Hilux long bed
1992 Hilux Xtra Cab with the 3.Slow
1997 FZJ-80
and currently the 2014 4Runner Trail

4Runner Trail Build Info:

Front Suspenion:
  • Icon 2.5" Extended Travel, Remote Reservoir Coilovers
  • Icon 700# Springs
  • Icon Tubular UCA's
  • Total Chaos Spindle Gussets
  • Body Mount Chop (BMC)
  • KDSS Removed
Rear Suspension:
  • Icon 2.5" Remote Reservoir Shocks for LT
  • Metal Tech Johnny Joint Upper & Lower Links
  • Metal Tech LT Springs, Heavy
  • Metal Tech Lower Link Armor
  • Metal Tech Extended SS Brake Lines
  • KDSS Removed
Armor & Recovery:
  • 4X4 Labs Front Bumper
  • 4X4 Labs Rear BUmper with Dual Swing-outs
  • Bud Built Underbelly Skids
  • Custom Front Aluminum Skid fabricated by Luke at 4X4 Labs
  • 4X4 Labs Boat Side Sliders
  • Warn VR-10000 with Synthetic Line
  • Tred's
  • Plenty of Straps, Chokers, Shackles and such
Drivetrain:
  • Front - 4.56 Gears w/ ARB Locker
  • Rear - 4.56 Gears with E-Locker
  • SCS Stealth 6 Wheels in Gun Metal
  • Toyo MT's - 285/75R17 (34.1")
  • Toyota TRD CAI
Interior / Other:
  • Yaesu FTM-400DR HAM Dual Band Radio
  • Custom Built Rear Storage Box with Slide-outs
  • LED Interior Lights
  • Ruff Tuff Seat Covers
  • Drabbits Roof Rack

Last edited:
Reactions: jrbechthold

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

1981 Hilux 22R, 4 spd, bench seat and manual steering

I bought this in 1999 from the original owner's fmaily. It had been sitting for some time. I jump started the truck and drove her home and then put in a new battery, just like new. I then changed all the fluids, hoses, belts, and radiator and all was good. Had 5.29 gears installed with detroit rear and ARB front, bought a lift, wheels and tires and installed at home. I then removed the bed and built a flat bed with the help of a friend and headed to the Rubicon. Not a place to go with no power steering. Learned there that I had a carburetor ploblem. It made for a fun trip. Got back and took it to a Toyota mechanic abd he mad some adjustments to the carb and never had a problem again.

Soon, I learned the lift I bought was crap and learned about All Pro. Bought their lift and high steer, then headed to the junk yard to get a new pulley, power steering pump and gear box, upgraded from 33's to 35's and built some sliders.

Made another, and after burning a clutch all day, decided it was time for Marlin dual cases. After some time, the clutch and 4 speed where showing some wear. Headed back to Fresno and put in a 5 spd from Marlin.

Lot a trips to the Runicon and Fordyce were made and fun was had, but after a while, I wanter a little more power and AC.

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Next up, I found a 1992 Hilux with 72k on the odometer. Picked this up and started to aquire parts and pieces. After the '81, I pretty much knew what was needed andhow to build it out. I knew a SAS was going to happen, but I wanted a wider track width.

After a bit of research, I discovered the FJ-80 axle at 63.5". This biggest issue was high steer. I found a company out of Canada, OTT Industries, and they had just started making arms for the knuckles. I sent off the knuckles and eventaully received steering arms #3 & #4, although there were #1 and #2 because their original design used the ABS hole, I had a non-ABS axle. I had 5.29's and an ARB put in the axle and added armour. Also had to weld on spring perches as I was not going to run the 80 series suspension.

To make up the thefront track width, I opted for a TACO rear axle with the 8.4" gear at 61" wide. ARB and 5.29's added to match the front.

For suspension, I went with the 63" Chevy rears, but opted for new Tough Country 3" lifted springs with an add-a leaf. In the front, I ran a few versions but finally settled on Alcan custom built springs with the Orbit Eye in the front. Had 14" travel shocks all the way around.

Had the dual Marlin's mounted up with a Front Range Offroad T-Case mount.

Built some custom "bat wing" sliders.

I was also able to get Toyota to perform the head gasket recall on the 3.0L with new valves and head machined. Sweet deal!

Did the usual Fordyce and Rubicon runs as well as a run up Slick Rock and Deek Valley.

A little deer damage after running Deer Valley Trail.

Reactions: expeditionnorth

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Eventually, I sold the '92 Hilux and backed out of the offroading. The trails were getting overly crowded and the guys I went with were selling their trucks. A few years went by and I had an opportunity to check out an FZJ-80 LC. A good friend of mine in Ft. Collins found one in CA and had me pick it up for him, so I took the time to drive it back and deliver to him. I decided it was time to get back into the scene and picked up a 1997 FZJ-80 with factory front & rear lockers. As with many of these rigs, it was a daily family driver that had never seen the bad side of a fire road or the good side of preventative maintenance.

I was able to pick up at a good price, knowing all the maintenance work I was going to have to do. I brought her home and immediately ripped in to it. Performed a front axle rebuild, changed all the gear oil, replaced all hoses including heater hoses, fuel lines, vacuum lines, belts, radiator, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, water pump, thermostat, valve cover gasket and probably a few other things. Once I got everything dialed in, I could start having fun and going on adventures. Also, I could start teaching the daughter how to drive.

The first real mod was nothing more than a good set of tires, some 285/75 Duratrack's. Eventually added sliders and a front Slee bumper. Mostly did a lot of fire roads / trails and exploring.

- Lot of exploring in the Grass Valley / Nevada City between 174 and 20, Red Dog Road, Chalk Bluff Road, Green Horn Creek and in between.
- Between 20 and 49 - Most interesting was going from the town of Washington to Alleghany to Downeyville. Had lunch at Casey's Place in Alleghany, quite the interesting spot to stop, but well worth it.
- Off Hwy 4 - Corral Hollow, around Union / Utica Lakes, Forest service roads off 207, back into Highland Lakes and over to Markleeville.
- One trip to Moab.

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Eventually, I sold the '92 Hilux and backed out of the offroading. The trails were getting overly crowded and the guys I went with were selling their trucks. A few years went by and I had an opportunity to check out an FZJ-80 LC. A good friend of mine in Ft. Collins found one in CA and had me pick it up for him, so I took the time to drive it back and deliver to him. I decided it was time to get back into the scene and picked up a 1997 FZJ-80 with factory front & rear lockers. As with many of these rigs, it was a daily family driver that had never seen the bad side of a fire road or the good side of preventative maintenance.

I was able to pick up at a good price, knowing all the maintenance work I was going to have to do. I brought her home and immediately ripped in to it. Performed a front axle rebuild, changed all the gear oil, replaced all hoses including heater hoses, fuel lines, vacuum lines, belts, radiator, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, water pump, thermostat, valve cover gasket and probably a few other things. Once I got everything dialed in, I could start having fun and going on adventures. Also, I could start teaching the daughter how to drive.

The first real mod was nothing more than a good set of tires, some 285/75 Duratrack's. Eventually added sliders and a front Slee bumper. Mostly did a lot of fire roads / trails and exploring.

- Lot of exploring in the Grass Valley / Nevada City between 174 and 20, Red Dog Road, Chalk Bluff Road, Green Horn Creek and in between.
- Between 20 and 49 - Most interesting was going from the town of Washington to Alleghany to Downeyville. Had lunch at Casey's Place in Alleghany, quite the interesting spot to stop, but well worth it.
- Off Hwy 4 - Corral Hollow, around Union / Utica Lakes, Forest service roads off 207, back into Highland Lakes and over to Markleeville.
- One trip to Moab.

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

After having the LC for several years, and putting on the miles (although those things go forever) I decided it was time to let the 80 go and take the step up to a new 2014 4Runner. I had been crusing several forums and read many posts about the awesome adventures and places people were going in these, both stock and modified. I searched for a bit and found what I thought I wanted, a new 2014 4Runner Trail w/ KDSS. I picked this up on 11/1/14 and already had a build planned. An so began the money pit build.

In short time, all of the Black Friday / Cyber monday sales started and out came the credit card. Lift, wheels, tires, appointments at 4X4Labs and a sweet deal with Luke. So this is what transpired;

• Icon 2.5" Remote Reservoir Extended Travel Front Coil overs with Icon UCA's
  • Icon 2.5" Remove Reservoir shocks with the Metal Tech Long Travel Springs and Lower Lings (eventually added the upper MT Links)
  • SCS Steal 6 Wheels in Gun Metal Grey
  • Toyo MT's in 285/75R17 (34.1")
  • Performed the BMC
  • Bud Built Full Skids (Was never able to mount the front skid as it did not line up with the bolt holes in the frame and conflited with the KDSS even though I ordered for KDSS)
  • 4X4Labs Front Bumper (Luke used my 2014 to mock-up for the 2014 front end. This took some time and he gave me a nice discount for this)
  • 4X4Labs Rear Bumper w/ Dual swing-outs
  • 4X4Labs Sliders (Again, with the KDSS, my 4Runner was used to make mounting brackets)
  • While at 4X4Labs, 4.56 gears were added and an ARB front locker with ARB Twin Compressor.
20141101_183649.jpg
20141102_121024.jpg
2014-12-31 13.40.59.jpg
BMC - 2.jpg

Reactions: 12Seven95 and BobG

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

No sooner that got the 4Runner back and then the sliders installed, a trip to Moab was scheduled. Drove out there non-stop and met a brother from Colorado. The drive is always a scenic one, US Route 50 (The Loneliest Road in America) where gas stations are far between and traffic does not exist.

DSC00791-1.jpg DSC00792-1.jpg DSC00777.JPG DSC00788.JPG 2015-04-30 15.05.11.jpg

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Made it there with a my neighbor and brother and met my other brother from Colorado there for a drink, the first in over 23 years. We were all stationed in the P.I. together in the Marine Corps. Great times, plus we wnet out and had some fun while there.

20150502_120341.jpg
DSC00807-1.jpg
DSC00816-1.jpg
DSC00822-1.jpg
2015-05-02 17.00.14.jpg

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

After getting back, I decided I needed to complete the body mount chop (BMC). I picked up some 3/16" X 2" flat stock and fabricated some closure pieces, trimmed to fit and welded up.

BMC - 2.jpg BMC - 3.jpg BMC - 4.jpg BMC - 5-2.jpg BMC - 5-3.jpg BMC - 6.jpg

Reactions: Rattlesnake44

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

I also needed some internal storage for the rear cargo area. I knew the best thing would to build my own. I drew up some plans (to scale) at work and double check all of the dimesnions and created a cut list for everything. I then set-out with some cabinet grade plywood and started cutting the pieces. Once everything was cut, I began the assembly, predrilling and countersinking all screwes plus added wood dowels to ensure the durability of the box.

I used 34" full length HD slides and found locking latches to secure the cargo.

20151206_094545.jpg 20151206_094601.jpg 20151206_101145.jpg 20151206_101207.jpg 20160421_171737.jpg 20160421_171814.jpg

Attachments

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

After the Moab trip and building the box, I decided it was time to go do a local run to Signal Peak for a quick day trip. Headed out early in the morning and hit the trail head just about sun-up and aired down. I brough a freind and his boy who had no idea what he was in for. And so the adventure began. It wasn't too far in that the sliders were put to use as well as both lockers. We continued on and made it the the most off-camber, narrow spot on the trail. It was more than enough to make your butt pucker. After that, a steep, loose clible and the off the the top where there are amazing views. From there we headed down and did some exploring and ended up at Upper Lola Montez Lake. Then we headed back to the highway, while in route, we ran across a group of side by sides, of which was a guy and his wife I had not seen in over 10 years. I have an odd habit of running into people I haven't seen in a long time on the trail, as this was not the first encounter, or last.

3.jpg 1.jpg DSC00951.JPG

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

After the wedding and honeymoon, there was all of the holidays to deal with plus, I decided to ditch the KDSS. I found that it really limits suspension travel. I removed the sway bars and "strapped" up the pistons so that "if" I wanted to restore the system at a later date, I could.

We also had a busy winter and ended up with a place up in the mountains in a small town called Dorrington. There is a lot of places to go explore, lakes, rivers, trails, small towns and interesting places.

20160306_071403.jpg

Reactions: 12Seven95 and BobG

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Now that a lot a weekends are spent in the mountains, went and did some exploring and adventure seeking. Went up Hwy. 4 and decided to see if Corral Hollow was passable. It should be, first weekend in June, afterall.

Hit the trail head and aired down and headed in. After some mud and snow, the drifts across the trail were getting were, to the point was sliding across the snow on the underbelly skids. Time to abort since it is just me, my son and the dogs. Headed back down the hill and decided to try the Sour Grass trail. This was the first time ever on this trail. It was a pretty fun trail, unfortunately, I didn't get but a couple of pictures here.

Corral Hollow:
20160603_090546.jpg 20160603_091230 - 1.jpg 20160603_091758 - 1.jpg 20160603_091809-1.jpg

Sour Grass:

20160603_113945-1.jpg
20160603_114003 - 1.jpg