Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,

As I started this in "what did you do to your Rig today", I think it is time to write the things I do to my Rigs here. Yes it is a build up, partly, as they are already build up more or less.So I will start from around the last big upgrades and then I will write all the little things I do here in this Thread.

As you could have read, Iam working on my Van at them moment. Putting in a new Pop Up Roof and therefor I needed to change my Roof Rack as well.
So, here we go.

This is how the Pop Up Roof looks like. down.

This is the basic part. Now we gonna build all the extra's

Here will be the sand ladder storage bay. But with a twist

The back will be a flat surface, so you can store things quit easely.

For isolation and looking nice, some tiles on the ceiling. I will do such as well in the back of the van.

I already welded the bottom panel for the solar panel. And give it already a lick of paint.
Tonight I will mount it all. Then fixing the cables there and the job is done there.
Then we can go and fix some other parts before we can paint it all.
When this is finished, I will start with the interior of the van, which will be completely changed.
It's an ongoing proces. Always changing and upgrading.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Ok, and the first update.

Worked on the solar panel and sand ladder holder. It is done now. (still need to paint it)
Anyway, here are again some pictures

As you can see, the solar panel can be raised, so you can get to the sand ladders.

Reactions: Theelephlandrover

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,

Worked again at the Van and made some little progress.
First we added two mounts for a Shovel and an Axe. This for our trip to Morocco, but also for all other trips.

And made the last bit (more or less) to the Sand ladder mount and Solar panel mount.
A little bit of fine tuning is needed there tomorrow.
Tomorrow I will first work on the trailer and the monday I will do more to the Frontera, as they all should be ready for the next weekend/Easter for our big 4 day trip.
Well, lots to do, maybe we should leave it that way. hehe.

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,

Worked today on the Van, just a thiny little thing which has taken forever. The trailer hook up just didnt work. I had changed the wiring of the trailer and that was fine, I tested that one. So it had to be the Van itself. And yes, two wires broken. The rest rusty.
So I cleaned it all and moved the hook up higher so it would be more out of the mud, sand and water.
I had to repair the rear brake of the Frontera, there was a little piece of metal, which adjust the handbrake missing, better said, broken, so I had to replace that one.
I did, easy job and checked the lights and hook up there as well. All ok.
Then I did the differential breather. I extende the hose way up into the C pillar an the right. So, now it has to be very deep in the water before its getting water.

So, except from checking oil and water, the Rigs are technical ready for our trip. But both need a good wash, and some little things I like to have done before the trip.
Tomorrow new tyres on the rims of the trailer and such little things.

I'll be back for more.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,

Today it was tyre changing time. The old tyres of the trailer went of and the new tyres of the Van, general Grabber AT2 went on the trailer.

Tonight we took the old black paint of the shecker plates and repainted it with Hammerite Aluzinc. A two component paint specially for Aluminium.
The bottom side and such will be covered in a special cover spray for underneath cars. So that will keep it withoutrust.

I also worked on the van again. Putting carpet tiles on the ceiling. Or the bed is too low, or my arms are too short. But it is a hell of a job. Well, doing some tiles at a time and all comes together.

So tomorrow, doing some more tiles and making the anchor hooks for the luggage on the roof rack. If it is dry for a while.

I'll will be back with more to come.

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

Robert- I have the Grabber AT2's on the Cherokee and love them, quiet and very long life span, tend to dry rot before you wear them out. Am continually impressed with your work.

Wilson

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,
The last weeks I worked a lot at the Frontera. First checked and renewed the brakes.
Did new oil in the gearbox. Cleaned a lot. Still a lot of dirt underneath.
Cleaned the engine on the bottom side. After several months you see that all engines are like sweating a bit. And after some months and some water puddles you think you have lost about an oil field of it.
Well I had to get some dents out. Which wasnt that easy.

and after a lick of paint it looked a bit better, but for sure it wont rust that fast.

Of course I needed to have the Overland Bound emblem on the hood. So even as I have to repaint the whole car, well this was more important.

As we go for a river crossing and a lane called splashy lane in Wales, I like to have a kill swithc for my fan. Which should provide me for losing another one. On the other hand, I dont like it that my engine gets hot because we drive very slow on the tracks and lanes. So a chicken switch is in place as well.
A little LED control light tells me the status of the system.

And at last I had the "ceiling" of the Frontera done. As I had way to strong "leather" the guy didnt get it as nice as he wanted it. So no charge there. And Iam happy with it.

Well, the car should be ready for Wales by now.
Tomorrow back to the Van. We will bring a back seat from a Frontera B to the upholsterer and he will refurbish it with black artificial leather. Then, after Wales I will take the interior out of the van and remake it all.
That will be my new project. Ohw, and a new Bumper.
Those two things need to be done by the 22th of may, as we will do a test weekend with the new interior.

Lots to do. Lets get lazy, hehehe.

Greetings from Robert

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Looking good, Robert! Lot of work you're doing there!! It'll be worth it, though. Hope we can hook up as you pass me on the way to Wales and check out the Frontera!

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

Well after we came back from Wales, work on the Van is the name of the game for the following two weeks. With Midsun we like to go of into France with our new interior and new bumper.
Yes the bumper which came of, I will replace that.
So, the first step of making the new bumper is making two new Tow hooks.

Then I need a new surface which goes on top. Some old teardrop plate does the trick.

A little bit of shape, so it wont be as rectangular.

So after all te preps, I started with welding in a tube from bottom to top, just to prevent the bumper to collaps when force is on the bumper

Then it was time to get serious

And then my welding machine said it was time to stop. Welded way to long for it. So, will go on tomorrow and Thursday.
And in between we do the other projects as well.
New interior and Tailgate tent.
This will be our new seat in the Van.

Tomorrow there will be more to tell and show to you all.

Last edited:

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

Next step of the bumper story.
Today start with the front of the bumper. Well, as you can see, I start getting a bit to a almost novice level of skill.

Tomorrow we will try to close the bumper on the bottom. Then the sides and then...... we have to think about that. Ideas, Ideas.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Well folks,

Back again and I worked again some time on the Bumper. Which isnt finished yet, because I ran out of cutting discs and the order I place is in delay. So, my Priority turned from Bumper to interior.
But first some pics of what I had done before I ran out.

So, now the interior.
First everything out and a fresh layer of paint to start with.

Then it is time to put things in the van again. Not tight, as it has to come out to be painted and gets a kind of layer of "carpet".

Getting more in there.

And that is how one of the possibilities of a bed will be.

One inside the van.
And the other one will be half outside of the van. But that will be another story.
Which I still have to make and then write about it.
Tomorrow again some hours of work on the van. Getting nice artificial leather and such. Well, it is all for a good cause. Namely Overlanding.
See you around.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,

Well, I finished with the build of the interior. So, now I can take it all out, sand it and paint it. Then, rewiring the whole stuff.
After that, well, getting it all in there and finish that part.
Some last unfinished pictures

And the battery is protected and covered as well.

This afternoon I will take everything out and we start painting it all.
The rewiring, new "carpet" and such.
Hope we manage to fix it all next week.
And at last we can start with working on the Tailgate Tent.

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all again,

Well, we are almost ready, hahah, almost is a very stretchy word.
Anyway. Painted it, put a new vinyl floor in the van. Glued that vinyl flooring to the interior as well. Made the second seat in the same way as the back seat. And well, see for yourself.

Next step is making the kitchen corner, the bed, the Tailgate Tent, and finish the Bumper.
Will work on that in random order. And my girl Frederique does the sewing and will make the extra side cushions and the rear cushion. All in the same way.
It will look good I think. Iam very proud of my girl.
She and I, but mostly she will sew the Tailgate Tent.

Well just wait and see.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

Again some pictures. Little steps forward. Today we, Frederique and I, did some work on the interior. The seats are ready and just one arm cushion and then it is really done.
It looks good, as far as I am allowed to say so.

And I did the last part of the Bumper

And painted it today. Hammerite is the best.

So, tomorrow we have more or less a day off, hahaha. Will do some work to the kitchen trunk and then we go to an asian fair. Good food and funny things to laugh about.

Well, that is it for today.

Greetings from Robert

E

expeditionnorth

very nice work, love that interior !

cant wait to see this finished

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I love your projects.  Keep up the great work.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello again,

One of the most difficult parts of the Van is the Kitchen. If it was just a place to cook in the Van it would be easy. But it isnt. And we like to take it out, as we normally cook outside. But...... for being a Campervan in Holland it must have a Kitchen in the Van.
So, now I made a part that has its place in the Van, but is able to come out as well.
And here it is. (not my most beautiful piece I made)

It still needs some work, so it aint ready. But that we manage tomorrow I guess.
Anyway, I hope we manage tomorrow, so we can start with the last part of the 2015 look of the Van. Which is the Tailgate Tent. I hope to let you see pictures of that one at the end of Sunday.

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello again,

A little update, I hope tomorrow I can say it is done. But for now, a little one.
Kitchen is in the van. Need to get tomorrow some parts from the DIY. Ran out of some little things.
This is how it looks now.

After a visit to the biggest Outdoor/Caravan and Tent shop in Holland, and the discovery of a leak in a coolant hose, I came home and could work on the bed frame.
This we needed because we will work on the tent tomorrow. And the bed frame is the basis for that.
So, not completely done, but it will work tomorrow.

Good, tomorrow a new day of hard work. With something extra, as I need to repair the hose. Its a metal one, and I dont want to take it out. So, I hope I can make a repair and with that repair I can drive to Bad Kissingen on tuesday.
Fingers crossed.

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Holy crap, Batman, you've been going for it. Love the interior, looks brilliant and most importantly, functional. Great job!!