Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Folks,

Will start to tell the story.
On the wednessday the 22th of April, we left our place and did drive up to Dunekerque. There we waited for the Ferry that have brought us to the UK.
As we were way to early we had all the time to have a bite to eat.

As always, there wad plenty of room on the ferry and we had a bit of a sleep.
The crossing was good as most of our crossings.

After the crossing we went to our friends place, as they live on route to Wales. And it is always a good thing to visit friends on your way.
The next day we went to Wales. And the drive was horrible. A just 5 hours drive turned into a 8.5 hour drive, just for 400km. all traffic jams were there.
Ok, done for the moment, as my wifi runs out.
Write more when we are home again.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

After a very nice and quiet crossing we arrived at the harbour at Dover. And we did see the white cliffs of Dover again. And standing on the deck, we also saw all the trucks that would be in front of us as we would leave the ferrie.

At last we could going of the ferrie and headed out for the Isle of Sheppey where our Friends Emma and John live. They are reall good friends as it will get clear during this story. We did meat them a long time ago because we both do drive the VW T25, T3 as we call it and you folks do call it the Vanagon.
Anyway, a good talk and the next day after a good breakfast we headed out for Wales. Well, we tried and succeeded in the end, but for a 380km we did around 8.5 hours due traffic jams all over. So instead of having all the time to unpack and get sorted we hurried to the B&B and got all the stuff thrown out. Then hurried to the Pub, which is owned by our good friends Cathy and Ian. A warm welcome and diving into the familiar atmosphere of the kind Welsh people.
We had dinner at the pubs restaurant and then it was sitting in the Pub with a drink and small talk.
After a good night sleep in the cottage we would use as a base camp, we headed out for the coast of Wales, as we were invited by Cathy to have a day off time just to relax and have a good talk and walk

The next day our friends/guests arrived and we told them all about the way the week had been planned.
As none of our friends/guests had any experience with laning in Wales, we told them we would do it easy in the beginning and increase the difficulties of the lanes during the week. We also told them we would not only do laning, but would have some nice routes for them to see more of Wales as just lanes.
All our routes are with landmarks and some culture to sniff as well.
So on the first day we had a nice breakfast, and due the pictures made during breaks, it looks like we had more and more food to master during the week. hahaha.

Our first day/tour we went out for a nice Waterfall, which is one of the seven wonders in Wales.

After that part, we drove of into Snowdonia. That is a national nature Park and it is just beautiful.
At a certain moment we stopped just for having a good photo shoot.

As we drove further and further into Snowdonia the scenery got really nice and at one point we had as we would have every day a nice picknick.

So, as we had a good day on the sunday with the Snowdonia tour, we did see loads of nice places and such. Unfortunally I just dont have all the pictures at this moment, as I wait for other people to provide me with pictures.
Ok, next I will tell you about our second day.

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Now I think it is time to tell you folks about the monday. Well, it would be an easy trip, just showing the people a bit of the surroundings of Llangollen. And doing a simple lane. Ha, simple just is the word.
As time past, which is standard during a year, the lane was a bit more difficult. So, we came down and faced a little bit of a challenge.
My car, which is a bit of a rough piece of rig, which is a bit tough and rough, could handle it juat. The other cars needed some bridging. (I think, mine would have loved a bridge as well.)

After this point I was sure the BMW X3 (with some extra's, so will call it X-3 steriod) could manage more. But on the other side, these lanes just were too much for simple SUV's.

And the Jeep, was taken down very very carefully, under the all recording eyes of our girls.

Ohw, yes, I was standing in the way fearlessly pointing in the wrong directions.

After we managed to get down the Baddie in one piece. Well, I broke something, but that was a rock which was in the way. We went for some sightseeing.
Finding the Horseshoe Falls. A manmade fall were the ater was directed into the Llangollen canal.

And back on the road we went to the next and next nice cultural place around Llangollen.
Next what I liked was the Aquaduct of Pont whatever it was called.
But first we had some lunch. Bacon Butties.

And then we had a nice walk across that aquaduct

After all those cultural thingies, we really needed to loosen up a bit. And we did of course.
That evening was a little party at the pub, as we had to celebrate the birthday of our dutch King. And we did that with music, dutch snack, cheese and my special saté.
The music was done by oru friends and good musicians, the Glaaswalkers.

We put up some bunting and had fun.

It was a sort of sitting around the campfire and listen to stories before you fall asleep. haha.

But hey, we had fun, good food and drinks. So, that is all that matters.
After lots of food, drinks and fun, we went to bed and already dreamed of the next day. Which would be a day full of laning.

The tuesday we did again a good english breakfast. A must they say, which I gladly swopped for a continental one.
But hey, the ones that liked it had good steady driving that day. hehe.
First we did steep Hill, just a lane, tight, steep and lots of fun.

And then whitestones came on.

After the whitestones, the Wayfarer came and that is always a very nice and calm lane.
And I didnt make any pictures, and am still waiting for the others to send in theirs.
But from the end of the day, I have one, so we could have a good laugh at the Corwen Carwash and get our cars more or less clean again.

Well, that were again two days. I hope when I have the time to make all the little films much will be clear to you all.
Until that, enjoy the pictures.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello girls and guys,

Its wednessday and we are just working on the trailer, because this weekend we are going camping with the Frontera, Trailer and Oztent.
So, because of that, and that we like to have some comfort, we changed things to the trailer. See my Rig DIY story for that.
Anyway, the reason is that we gonna have a Bushcraft weekend. Better said, a Bushcraft Outdoor Cooking Event, where we will learn how to cook on a campfire. We will learn how to make bread, cookies, and such, but also dinner dishes in the evening.
It is a two day course, but we can go there on the friday and just have a full weekend of fun.
Not much overlanding this time, it is even nearby our place. But, it is a preparation for our Morrocon trip later on this year.
And of course just fun and learning how to cook on a campfire. So, after this weekend I could have some nice recepies to put online.

We couldnt go by Van, as the campsite is prohibited for Vans, caravans and big tents. Even our Oztent is almost too big. But as it is a bush tent from Asutralia, tthey just cant refuse it. So, we are lucky.

The thursday and friday we still have time to make preparations (working on the trailer) and then we are of. Together with a friend of ours we will be smarter about cooking after this weekend.

A report will come next week.

Greetings from Robert

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
We need to feature this in an article! I love watching your travels and see you are hitting some fairly technical spots on the trail! Thanks for sharing! Now I'm going back to read in more detail!

M

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Re-watched your videos and stories last night for some great bedtime reading @baddragon I love the frequency of your adventures and the friends you have! Travel puppy is awesome!

M

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,

Not quit in the right order, but hey, this was just again a warming up to start working at the big project of making video's about Wales.
Any last weekend we did a bushcraft cooking event and went to a forest nearby and meet up with some bushcrafters to learn how to cook on a campfire.
And as it was a great weekend, it was good fun.
As usual we had oru little problem. just the old axle of the trailer broke. Now it is fitted with a brand new more robust axle which will hold all the stuff we trow at it.

So enjoy the little video
Bushcraft Outdoor Cooking Event 2015

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,

We are starting to gear up for a weekend. As it will be around 38 degrees Celsius, it is a bit warm in our house. So, we are heading for the forest.
As Wild camping isnt allowed in Holland, we have some subscribtions to some specific campsites. One of them are Nature (no nudist, that is not nice when iam walking around naked. That would be a shock to all other people) Campsites. And all lying on Estates or National Parks. So with the membership you can go there and camp.
That is what we gonna do this weekend. Not much driving, just lying around and staying cool.

Ohw, and trying out our latest Coleman Oven. So, yes it is back to nature and primitive cooking.

I wish you all the fun during your weekend.

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

And here is a little report of our too hot so looking for cooler places weekend.
We loved these two campsites. They were almost wild camping spots.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6s-WGY1sBE[/youtube]
It was fun.

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,

Last weekend we were of again. Driving the road less traveled again.
Here our little report about our days exploring the south west of the Netherlands.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/fiMJcB9gBm8[/youtube]

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all.

As they say, after the trip is before the trip. And in our case, tomorrow we are back on the "road" again.
For our friend from Germany we will guide a group of Germans around through the south of Holland.
Three days of laning. And it will be fun again. I dont think it will be a tough weekend as there wasnt so much rain that there will be much mud. And without mud, Holland is just flat and beautiful.
Anyway, as the majority of the group has never seen Holland the way we will show it to them, they are treated with some extra's. Little chapels, old buildings and of course, dont forget, we will visit a wooden shoe factory. This of course to make everyone believe all the dutch people are still walking on wooden shoes and we all live in windmills.
And actually this topic goes to the border of Holland by pigeon and then to that marvelous world of internet. :blush:

You all, at least that is what I hope for, are looking at my video's and pictuers and maybe you think that Holland can be nice.
It can be nice. Beautiful in the summer. And really great to drive in Autum, Winter and Spring when rain turned Holland into a bog full of mud.

Anyway, tomorrow it is time to go there once more, driving all the little lanes through the little nature we still have.
And after that, I will try to make a little film out of it again.

I hope you will enjoy it.

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

The just being away and trying out some campsites in the north of Holland.

Last weekend we went on a nice trip across the north of Holland and into Germay to our friend Carsten.
On our first day out we went to Hoogeveen by Highway and then we took the smallest roads we could find to end up at Sellingen at the nature campsite called the Slangenborg.
There we had our first little adventure as we could stop on a fresly made new area in the forest. So by turning the van I got not stuck, but the engine stalled. And the engine just didnt want to start anymore after that. So, we took the winch and a tree rope and we pulled us towards the tree, and tried to start the engine. Which we managed.
In the beginning it looked like we damaged the starter engine and that would mean we had to push start the van from that point on.
Luckely after a bit of cooling down, the starter engine came back online.
So after setting up camp, we had a nice meal with Gyros and flat bread made the oriental way. Lots of Garlic sauce and more.
It was good.
That night we tested, or better said, we slept under/in our Nomad Travel Gear new sleeping bags. Called Monsoon.
These sleeping bags are as we could say budget sleeping bags, meant for the summer. And so we just had to try them.
Some of the features are; they stay dry due the dry sheet lining, they are lightweight and special for summertime.
Well, all was correct. So, during the night, when I had to have a pee, I stepped into a bed after that which was absolutely dry. That felt really comfortable.
In the morning we talked about our sleeping experience and we agreed that they did the job very well.
In the morning I talked to the owners and I heard that the spot were we slept is meant to be the spot were they will build their house when they earned enough money to build it.
And I must say, the spot is very nice.
After the van and the trailer were ready and packed, we headed towards the parents house of one of our friends and we meet up with them. The last road we took there was very nice and a good dirt road. Besides a canal and it just look great.
That afternoon we spent a lot of time in the swimming pool and then it was time to have a BBQ. It was good fun and very tasty. We ended the night by the campfire and with a nice glass to drink and wonderful talks.
The next day we had a nice breakfast and then it was time to leave for Sottrum Germany. And we would visit our friend Carsten. First we drove little back roads, but due time issues we had to get onto the Highway and arrived on time at his place. As we didnt seen eachother for some time it was nice to talk with eachother with coffee and cake.
The evening was again very nice, with BBQ, Jorg and Jessica, Ricarda and Carsten. And again it was time to sleep.
For the third night in a row we tested our sleeping bags and we were confinced that the last night would be as good as the last three ones. They are fantastic.
This time we drove the next day first onto the Highway and as we came closer to our goal, we found smaller and nicer roads to travel.
In the end we arrived at the campsite, which was located in the middle of the forest and it was nice. A bit crowded, but hey, it is high season. I think in september or october it will be much more quiet.
Here I first needed to check the starter engine as it was a bit unreliable. A broken wire seemed to be the biggest problem. So I solved it and after that it started every time. Not directly on every attempt, but reliable enough to be happy with it.
The last time we broke down our camp, made the van and trailer ready to go and had to go home.
This weekend we tested our new awning and the sleeping bags and both were a great succes.
Next weekend it is time to test them during the english summer. For that we will leave for Wiltshire, England, Uk for a Wilderniss gathering. Some more will come soon.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,
Last thursday we, Peter and I went to the UK to visit a Bushcraft Gathering there.
As you all probarly know, I dont like cramping, but are much more into Glamping, (cramping is worse as camping, and Glamping is way better)
So, doing a weekend in a sleeping bag outside under a tarp isnt my thing. So I brought my VW T3 van with me with all the luxus in it I like. Peter did bring his really good outdoor sleeping bag and his Tarp.

This, you could say, would be a totally different aproach and you are right. But, on the other hand, it shows you that worlds not always have to collide but can life together and do things together. And that is the Dragonriders Travel Way of doing things.

Thursday morning, fice O'clock, the alarm is going and its time to get up, shower fast, dress and get the Van and the Trailer together.
Then the last things in, and of we go.
Our journey towards Dunekerque goes without any problems. Except for getting bored and sleepy, I managed to stay awake. We stopped twice for a walk and the second time for a fill up. Then we arrived at Dunekerque. We are lucky and unlucky.
The ferry of ten is delayed, so we are able to go with that one. But, as it is delayed, we did drive fast and swift just to gain just one hour instead of two. Too bad.
As we stopped and parked the car on the ferry, some Germans, that came by coach bus, walked towwards us and asked all kind of questions about the Van, my solar panels and Trailer. They were very much impressed by the looks, the equipment and interior. It made me feel good.
After our boat trip, were I had a good sleep. Even though it was a rough ride. We arrived at Dover early.
The moment we got into the car it started to rain. Well, you could say, it poored down.

As the rain was severe, I thought of the possibility of floods along the way. And, I was lucky, we had some really nice floods we had to pass.As my Van is high on its tyres we had no problem what so ever to cross these floods. But I guess, other cars werent so happy about it.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/LBEdsPh9ckk[/youtube]

But because of the weather and the floods, our pass was slow and it took ages to come were we wanted to go. So, after a while we decided that we needed to have a bit more bigger roads with some more average speed.
As we did, I just ran out of LPG and when I turned the car on Petrol, we found out that it was running very poorly on petrol. And that at a moment when we arrived in the hills and had to manover around. Not so funny.

At last we arrived at the Gathering and we did find a spot to set up camp. Peter did the Tarp and I set up camp in the Van.
As we were tired from the trip, we thought, we have a dinner out, but all the tents which provided food at the gathering were already closed. So, back to the van and we made some kebabs we brought.
And Peter made his already famous Tunafish with tomato and such baked in their on can with oil.
So, a good dinner we had anyway.

The night wasnt very pleasant, as I had the feeling that the Van was going more and more in a slope. And when I woke up in the morning and got out, I saw I had a flat tyre. So the feeling wasnt wrong, it was right.

As it was raining, I just filled the tyre with air and hoped it would stay full until the rain stopped. Well it did, but I also found the problem why I had a flat tyre.
After the rain did stop ( it started again as soon as I was busy with the tyre half way) I worked on the tyre. First I got some wooden logs to secure the front and to raise the back of the van after the repair. So I would sleep even more horizontal. Then I took out my tools and my repair kit for tyres and tried to pul out that little nail.
Well, it wasnt a little nail, it was a big one, and it wasnt a nail but a harp pin to secure stuff. And it wasnt a hole but two.
So lucky me, I had the tyre repair kit and repaired the two holes. Filled up my tyre and hoped it was ok.

Well, 1000km after that repair it is still ok.

The friday, as it rained, we walked around on the Gathering grounds and saw nice things, funny things and very interesting things. OR a combination of those three. In general it was just nice and good.

We had a take away breakfast with hamm and eggs and in the afternoon a pancake. So all good and a pleasant day.

After the repair, we talked much, had again a nice BBQ. This time with the Saté I made before. And it was a pleasant evening. We listened to music at the central "square" and went to bed early.

The saturday made us Happy, Sun was shining and all was good. We walked around, seen some nice knives and more, made a little holder for the knife I have and in general had a good time. Lunch was french fries and a hot dog and dinner we had again a BBQ. What a horrible way to sepnd your weekend. NOT.
Again nice folks, nice music, nice talks and lots of things to see. So the gathering was a succes for us.
In the evening again some music and at last we went to bed.But, the night was cold and I had my sleeping bag, but used it as a blanket. And I was cold. So, I closed the sleeping bag, so it turned into a real sleeping bag, but that wasnt ok. Yes it was warm, but I flet uncomfortable as it was to narrow for me.
So, at last I made it back to blanket form and put a fleece blanket underneath. That did the trick and I was nice and warm again.
Again the Nomad sleeping bag did what I liked. It kept me warm and dry. Dry is as you know, very important to me.

As we had packed most of our stuff, we managed to get on the road within a hour that sunday morning and headed out to Dover, were we would meet John and Emma. As I did find the problem about the van running poorly on petrol, the trip was nice and smooth. Except from a d-tour because we didnt pay enough attention to the road, we arrived just in time to see John and Emma coming the other way.
So we parked together and had a good talk and a lunch.
After that we went into Dover Castle were we where lucky because there was a show about fire power through the ages.
We couldnt see it all, as we had to get the ferry, but it was fun and we could talk and enjoy the company.
Fun part was our visit tot the Roman Camp and the demonstration about Roman fire power. Very nice and good to see.
Then we saw some medival archers with longbows and after a nice Ice cream it was time to go.

We said goodbye and went to the ferry.

Again a good sleep on the ferry and we drove back to Westervoort. But the hurdles came in the form of Traffic Jams. Loads of them. So no Marc's BBQ on the way as we arrived home around midnight.
Unpacking the essentials from the car, got the trailer on its spot and went to bed.
Our nice, succesful trip was over.

Conclusions about the trip?
1. Sleeping bag is ok, good better said, but I should bring two to make a bigger sleeping bag during cold nights.
2. My tyre repair kit does its job. Happy to have it.
3. My compressor is fantastic, quick filling up and easy to use. Really happy with it.
Van did its job, and even with a tube loose, it still did its job as it had to do. With the tube in place it did a fantastic job again.

So, next year do we go there again? Yes, I think so.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

Here is our video report of the trip we did with our German guests.
I hope you like it.

Greetings from Robert

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Robert,

Thank you you for the wonderful report and photos from the Bushcraft Gathering. That looks like an extraordinarily informative event, and a fun time, too.

Steve

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

After the last Tour, we did some maintenance to the Van. Well, we still do. But with some luck it is finished today. And that means we can go on tour again tomorrow. Just for the weekend, but never the less, away is away.

More to come soon.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Euro-Robert ! These are fantastic write ups and photos. Thanks for putting in the time and effort. I really enjoy the videos as well... Great job!

California-Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

Thanks for the compliments. I am blushing.

Well, this weekend we went away. I had some trouble with my health, so we went several hours later as planned. But we went, as I think you can better dying on the field of honor as in your bed.
So after the attack was gone, nothing really serious, we went to one of those campsites which are closest to wild camping in Holland.
There we did set up camp with the new awning on the side of the van.
Camp was easy as we did it so often lately.

After dinner, BBQ with our Cobb, and some nice salads and such, it was getting dark, but the weather was great, so we stayed outside untill it was time to walk the dog and go to bed.
That night we had severall thunderstorms and heaps of rain. But we kept it dry, well almost, as some drops came through the roof. But we had it up and the rain was way to severe for keeping it up.
But never the less, we are very pleased with all the things we made lately.
The next day the sun was shining nicely again, and after a good breakfast, well more a brunch it was time to hit the road.

The plan of the day was making a connection between two routes we already had, so we can extend them into a bigger loop, which we can drive for a longer weekend. Say three days of laning but instead of a fix point of B&B or Campsite, we go from one place to another.
On our way we had of course several times that we had to back up, turn around, drove wrong and all those things you need to do here in Holland to make a route. Just trying to avoid tarmac.
At one turning point, there was a bridge but just for pedestrians, we turned around and decided to have lunch. Which is always a thing you forget when you having fun.

And at last we arrived at the next route and it was done.
Last but not least, we went home and now we look back to a lovely weekend.
And as they say, after the tour is before the tour. Next weekend, the second Border Tour of this year.

Greetings from Robert

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks for the trip report, Robert. It looks like a wonderful time. Hope you're feeling better!