Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

Will start to put up some little video's from our trips in Europa.
Hope you like it.

Here a little teaser.

[youtube]
Enjoy. The laugh I had, was a joke between my friend who got stuck and I. As, most of the time Iam stuck (front man) and he pulls me free.
Now, I could do him the favour in return.

Enjoy.

Greetings from Robert

Last edited by a moderator:

iamout

Rank III
Founder 500

Advocate II

Nice video Robert. That first crossing doesn't look that deep. maybe he needed a little more speed  ;-) thanks for sharing.

Frisly

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hey Frisly,

The longer version is on its way. But, it wasnt a crossing, just a very big puddle. However, in the middle is a big "bridge" and if you go over it, you will get stuck with your diff or gas tank. That is why I drove to the side. That went ok. He drove straight in and got stuck. And we both did the trip before, so he should have remembered it.

That is why I had such a good laugh.

I hope to fix the longer version today.

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Folks,

And here it is, the longer version. I hope you like it. I have still much to learn about editing a video. But I will get there in time.

My problem is, my english. To translate my thoughts during a walk or presentation into english isnt something I can do just out of the blue. So, I need to prepare such thing. And so, I did choose for writing instead of making a fool out of me, by stumbling over my english.

Well I hope you like it.

Location of this Greenlane tour is between Breda, Turnhout (Belgium) Eindhoven and Tilburg. The road was a bit wet, but not as wet as it can be in the Netherlands. Our main challenge is mud and water. The point is when much agricultural traffic has damage a lane that much you get stuck when you drive in the middle of a lane. (happenend in the video) Normally you will see such, but with much water, you cant.

During our trips, we drive mostly in 2WD, just before a muddy part we change into 4WD. Or, when you think you can make and it doesnt, right on the spot.

We drove with 5 people, one dog. Our friends Steffen, Helga and Torsten and ourselves with Skai.

Our vehicles of the day were an Opel Frontera Sport and a Opel Frontera 2.2 4 door/long base.

Distance of the tour was only around 80km. And a 130km one way highway. And back of course.

Good, here is the album of our trip East and south of Eindhoven, last january.

We drove with our friends, Torsten and Helga, Dagmar and Thomas, Andrea and Christof, Garrett and Marion and Tonnie and Bianca.

The cars were; Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Suzuki Samurai, Can Am Commander and us in the Opel Frontera.

Enjoy;

January trip

Thats it for today about our greenlanes. Just let me know what you think of it.

Last edited:
E

expeditionnorth

very nice videos & I say your English is perfect

do any of the rigs have winches ?

reminds me of our Champlain Valley, sad most of those farm rows are now closed off to the public here

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Mike,

Yes, my rig has a winch.

For me a nice one, its a Dragon Winch from Poland. Manufacturer is big in the East european Trial and Offroad rally's.

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

Ok, not a video yet, but this weekend we will have two little things we do.

First we gonna do an "night" trip. Around 50miles of laning in the dark. I have no clue about the conditions of the lanes/tracks, so I dare now and decided to take the Van for that weekend.  The Van is equiped with a winch, difflock and the hankook tyres. And we have sandladders and all the recovery gear. So, I dont think there will be a problem. Anyway, I will try to make vids and pictures and will make them inot a little video again.

The sunday there is a little Expo, organized by the Landrover Club Holland and they have always a little nice Expo. Loads of nice little things to buy.

I will try to make two little videos of the coming weekend. I hope they come out nice.

Greetings from Robert

iamout

Rank III
Founder 500

Advocate II

Hi Robert. Interesting plans you have. Don't go crazy and buy lots of gear now :-O  looking forward to the reports/videos.

Maybe Michael can move this thread to the new Forum "Overland stories with Pictures"  Just an idea.

Frisly

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hey Frisly,

It has been moved, and I guess, with the new title, I can make all the stories, pictures and video's about our trips here.
Just keep watching.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,

Last trip we made, just a week ago, and it was as we call it a night trip. So, all was done in the dark. As we had already made a trip in that area ourselves, we thought it would be nice if we could extend our knwoledge of that area and get some extra dirt tracks.
As we alway strack our trips, we can make new trips out of older ones, by adjusting the GPS trail.
Anyway, the start was around 19.30 hours and we arrived a bit sooner at the starting point of the trip. There was cake, coffee and tea. So, a nice welcome. Around 30 cars would attend this little trip and we all got our own road books. So, we didnt had to drive in a group, but could drive on our own. Which we did.
It was a pleasant drive till the break, then all cars just lined up and there was a road train. That we just didnt like, so at a certain point we just stopped and waited until everyone was gone.
Frederique, my girlfriend, navigator and a good helping hand during mechanical stops, loves to navigate, and driving behind a bunch of cars, just doesnt make the trip exciting for her.

Around eleven in the evening we came back at the starting point and had done around 75 km. A short but pleasant trip. We did use the SJ4000 as a dash camera and after we came home and wathc the footage, we decided that filming in the dark just wouldnt make any nice footage. The only thing worth of it was the difference between our lights. Standard low beam of the van, High beam LED, and Low/wide beam LED.
So that is shown in the little video I made.
So enjoy;
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZJgN3Xr6rs&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
At the moment Iam very busy getting everything ready for the trip with Easter. Preparing the van, the trailer and the Frontera.
That will be our next trip and I hope the footage of that trip will be much more worth looking at.

Till then.

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,

Ok, preparations to the vehicles has ended more or less. We packed the Trailer already and friday we do the Van and the Frontera. Just the little things we have to do, like oil check, water and such.
Tomorrow going to wash the Van. Otherwise you cant see how much mud we have gathered. It would be cheating when you take the mud from the last trip.
Anyway, around half past two, dutch time, Iam of to Schiphol Airport/Amsterdam to pick up our friends and band from Wales. They are called the Glaaswalkers. They do Folk,blues, Country and most of it is theirs.
After having dropped all their bags at our place, and had a bite to eat, we going into town having a good night at an Irish Pub, where they will perform that night.
Now, its time for a little explanation;
First of all, this trip is with several people and therefor its a Dragonriders Travel Event. If I do events, there is always a bit extra. Like this time we have the Glaaswalkers. They come along as our guests and will play music during our evenings at tha campsites.
I arranged that they could come along for free, if they would play for us. And they agreed.
There is a difference between a Dragonriders Event and a Dragonriders Travel Event.
If I organise everything, its Dragonriders Travel, if we as friends doing a weekend of longer together and all the things we planned we did together, its a Dragonriders Event.
A significant detail.
So, one of the extra's will be the Glaaswalkers.
The second extra will a cooking session with the dried food. We ordered two meals. one veggie and one standard. And during the saturday evening we will show hoe its made and let people taste and judge.
The last extra, well not sure if you can call it an extra, is that from NOMAD TRAVEL GEAR A person from Marketing is coming along for a day and evening.
This again needs some explanation; Nomad is a good outdoor company who has good clothing for walkers, world travellers and such. But they dont do much, better said nothing with their products for Overlanding. Iam confinced that their clothing, as it is durable, but not as heavy, expensive, and more fashionable as FE Jack Wolfskin, Fjall Raven and such, is absolutely suited for Overlanding. Light, drying quickly, easy wash and more, it is perfect for us driving mostly in a car.

Well. On friday we gonna start rolling at the end of the day and then we do the first 63 km (or such) to our first campsite. There we will set up camp and just have a good time.
The Friday we are with three cars. Two Fronteras and one Van with trailer.
Persons; The three Glaaswalkers, Steffen, Jenny and her daughter Laura, Frederique and me. (and our dog Skai (very important part of the family :blush:))
Saturday morning, three cars will come to join us.
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Grand Cherokee with a very big trailer, And another Frontera. Persons are; Dagmar and Thomas, Garrett, Marion and son Max, with dog Sam. And last but not least Carsten will come as well.
Extra guest, Maartje from NOMAD TRAVEL GEAR.
That day we gonna do around 300km.

All roads are the smallest, dirt or mud, or unfortunally, just plain roads. But always as close as possible to the border between Germany and the Netherlands.

Well Sunday we still going up north, visiting a old fortress/town and end on the banks of the North Sea. After that, we head back down and end again on a nice little campsite.
The monday we do the last trip down before we split up and say goodbye.

Ok, now you know what we gonna do the following days. But, all the stories and video's and more will come after we are back.

For now, thats it.
Till later, I'll be back. (hahahaha, I love that austrian Actor)

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

What a wonderful weekend we had. One of the best trips we had ever. The group was great, the weather wonderful and except for one minor thing with my bumper, it was absolutely superb.
Good, here the story.
Thursday, picking up the Welsh band the Glaaswalker from Schiphol Airport. After we came home we had dinner and made a bit of small talk. Around nine we arrived in town in an Irish Pub where they had a gig that night. They asked me if they could do such thing as they would love to feel how dutch nights out would be. Well they loved it and had a great time.

The next day we went for the first part of the trip. From the first Border barrier till the first campsite.

Our Rigs where set up for the trip and ready to roll.

For people who live on an Island, it is strange to see a border which isnt fluid. And that barriers are just open so you can drive through without a check is very different.

After a nice, but short trip we arrived at the campsite and made our first camp. As we were the only customers, it just look great, almost like wild Camping.
That evening they played for us and for the campsite owners. It was great fun.
Here is a little vid from day one.
Will start now working on video two.
Back soon.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

And there we are back again with more things to tell about our weekend trip.
Day 2 started nice and still dry. Which was very nice as there was rain all week before. So every minute we didnt have rain was a good one.
I suggested to everyone in our group that we would first clean up and break up before we would have breakfast. That was the plan for all the days, as we had some apprentices for camping. So, I needed to tell them how to put up a tent and put it down again.

After packing and breakfast our ohter friends came to the site and on time we were complete.

And of we went. As everyone had already had some trips with me, the all knew how to act, drive and comply to the Green code. So, we had a good tour without any problems.
From the campsite we drove up and up, just as close to the border as possible. Hopping from one side to the other side of the border. And sometimes we were lucky and could drive just on top of it.
Like the day before we saw several barriers and other memories about the fisycal border between Germany and the Netherlands. Remains from a smaller world.
As we had a stormy week, I had the feeling we would have to deal with several fallen trees, but, lucky or unfortunally, the all, well almost all, felt beside the path. So, no chainsaw work and fun.
The paths were mostly dry and good to drive, just some puddles and mud/bog holes. But nothing serious this day again.
During the lunch, Garrett and Marion (team Grand Cherokee) provided Pancakes for everyone. Which all loved much.

We parked at a nice parking lot, especially made for us, hahaha. And we lined up nicely

No hustle with turning and such. Just arriving and leaving in a very orderly way.
At last we came at the campsite and made camp for that day. As our friends had it had very cold the first night, we decided to give them our heater, so they would have two heaters and have a nice warm tent. Mistake mistake, it was really freezing that night and now we were the ones who were freezing. We just forgot we had a third heater on Gaz. Stupid us.
During the evening, it was again music, BBQ and this time a very big fire. Some other campers enjoyed with us the fire and the music. All was good fun.
So, the second day was a good one as well. Here some footage from that day.

Now we have to wait for part number three. Which reveals the one thing that went wrong.

Till soon.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all, back again.

The "last" day of the trip we drove further up North till we reached the Sea. However, as I am a bit of an adventurer, I decided to take an extra small little road which should give us some extra pleasure. Well Pleasure we have got out of it. Big time.

But first things first. In the morning after a very cold night we had breakfast and slowly we got warmer as the sun was shining much and the weather was great. Our first stop on that day was a little town called Bourtange, which is a fortified little town. Its ancient and we had a little walk around there.

After that we drove until I reached the point where I did made a little mistake.

I took the turn a bit too wide and thought I can make it. Forgetting I had the trailer behind the car for the first time and just made the mistake to think I can manage.
So we had to be towed out. As we thought. But in the end, we had to use the winch again.
The sand ladders did their job, and together with our kinetic rope, shovel and more we manage to get out again. Unfortunally the bumper wasnt as strong as thought. So he found his nemesis there. But parts of it will have a new life.

As good laners, we took the broken parts with us and left except from a big hole no trace that we have been stuck there.
At last we ended at the Sea shore and had a walk there. And then we had to head back down again.

At the end of the day we came again to a campsite and there where some kids who had heard we would be there and making music. So they had their instruments as well and were allowed to join our Band for the night.
It was a great sight to see them start swinging. In the beginning they where very shy and timid. But after a while they just came loose and start swinging.

The next day we were again just the five of us, and decided that we would take our english guest to the Airborne Museum at Oosterbeek. This museum is dedicated to the battle of Arnhem. Very well know by the movie a Bridge too far. And Operation Market Garden during the WW2.
They were very impressed about it.
That evening we got a invitation for a dinner from our friends as a thanks for the weekend. And that made the end of a great weekend.
Here is the last video;
[youtube]
And here are all the photo's we made that weekend.
Photo's

I hope you like this little review.
Our next trip is already booked and will be a week doing Tracks and Lanes in Wales with a group of paying customers from the German company of our friend Robby.

See you around.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,

As our trip to Wales/UK is almost a go, I had to do loads of checks to the Frontera. This is the Rig we will take on this trip. Doing laning in Wales is about the roughest we can do here in the "civilized" part of Europe. And the lanes are longer there.
So, I checked all the brakes, renewed the rear ones and did all other checks you have to do when you go abroad. If we do laning in the Netherlands, it is easy. Our ANWB will recover your vehicle if it is letting you down. And you will come home as well. Well, not so in Wales. So, a good check up is very needed.

Anyway, now it is almost time to go there, just a few days, and we will be of for about 10 days. And 6 days of laning. Which will be 5 days laning with a group. One is for ourselves.
As we will visit friends there, we always bring little presents. So, dutch wine, some cheese (yes, the Netherlands are very famous about their cheese) and I bring this year my meat scewers called saté. They already know them there, so I guess they will be eaten with some eagerness.
And as we have on the 27th our Kingsday, I guess we need to bring some cheese for that occasion to hand out in the pub were we are for dinner and drinks.
Most people in that town and valley do know us already and it will be fun again. Seeing the same people once a year is a good thing.

As the weather can be very rainy in Wales, we always do a B&B. Because if you are out in the rain for a week and never getting dry, it will cause some irritations. And we are on a holiday.

Our guests are staying in a B&B, a very nice one, and we stay in a holiday cottage. All very luxureous. Dinner in the Pub restaurant and drinks in the Pub. So, all very posh, hehehe.

So, wonder how we do this trip. Well have a look at the Photo's and enjoy
Wales with friends 2014
These are the pictures of our first week with friends. The second week we had guests but did the same tour.
It was good fun.
So, I hope this year will be good as well and I hope I will have some great footage when we are back.

Regards from Robert

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Ugh! Watching the bumper pop off! Bummer, but looks like a great trip!

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Robert,

Yes that bumper. It was one of the first mods I ever had on the van. At that time it was just for show. It still took about nine years and countless tows and recoveries before it came of. It does however shows how much force there is coming on a car due recovery.
But, believe me, Iam building a "new" one. Still using old parts, but to tow the car and recover the car, it will be much much stronger.
Will cover that mod in the building thread.

The trip is great. As it isnt a pure Greenlane trip, there is less dirt track, but the objective was to follow the border as close as possible. And we did. Next time, in september, we will do it again, but will try to have even more dirt road in it.

Just wait and see, or fly over and come along.

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Folks, almost home, but still in the UK.Just visiting friends.
So I will write a report soon, but will start with some pictures.

OK, more to come.