lenf2

Rank II

Contributor II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Leonard
Last Name
Foster
I have just started the build of my own overland rig. It is based on a 1999 GMC Yukon SLE with a 5.7l Vortec V8 LS1 Gen III engine, modified with a new MPFI fuel injector and twin batteries. It has a 4speed 4L60E transmission and a positraction rear end with 4wd. I have either repaired or replaced most of the mechanical parts, including the entire front suspension and all brakes and switched to 35x12.50R17 tires and wheels. I chose to lift the body by only 2" and instead rebuilt the front fenders to allow the larger tires and wheels. This prevents the damage done to most standard suspensions by having the large lifts and also keep my center of gravity lower while giving me more clearance by way of the larger wheels. As you can see I have moved most of the tools and items I carry out of the interior and instead house them in steel ammo boxes on both sides of the vehicle. I added a new steel grill guard as well as a new front hitch receiver to compliment the standard rear one, which allows me to use a number of hitch mounted attachments like a cargo crane, a fold up cargo carrier and a fold down spare tire holder. Additionally I also added a new 84" roof basket rack with a 20 gallon roof mounted water tank with 12v water pump. With a large number of tie downs and tie points, I added to the roof, sides and hood, I have a much greater carrying capacity. To extend the 30 gallon fuel tank, I added 4 5 gallon side mounted Jerry cans. A number of my recovery tools are also mounted on the hood to keep them accessible and immobilized.

I still have a lot to do on the truck, including off road lights on the roof rack and the grill guard as well as lights on the side and rear of the roof rack for 360 degree lighting. I plan on building an internal sleeping area with storage space as well as a secondary battery system (3 200AH AGM batteries and a 4000 w inverter, external 1500w generator, 10a internally mounted air pump, 120v fridge, and 12v and 120v lighting. I already have the fridge, air pump, a 10x14' 10 man coleman tent with a queen sized 18" high air mattress and a second full sized air matterss for inside the truck, a 10x10' canopy with drop sides and insect screens to use as a kitchen, and a 10x20' awning. I have two external mini-tents for a bathroom and shower, as well as plans to add an 8' x 8" hot water roof mounted storage. Along with all that I also have a full compliment of kitchen goodies like a 2 burner propane grill and a 1 burner butane stove.

I currently have to capabilities to go out for 1-3 day trips and hope to extend that when I complete the interior power supply system. I would like yukon views.jpgSnapshot 3 (5-14-2020 10-39 AM).pngto be able to meet up with others in Southeastern Arizona for a few trips.Snapshot 1 (5-27-2020 9-22 AM).jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

2000 WJ Grand Cherokee, 3" IRO lift, 265/70R17 tires, Custom mounted Rola roof basket, Trail Forged stubby front bumper with custom wings, Smittybilt 10K minch, Lots of pin striping

At camp near Bumping Lake in Washington on memorial weekend.
20200523_081753.jpg
Before Running Bethel Ridge
20200524_130330.jpg
After running Bethel Ridge with snow and lots of mud.
20200524_171233.jpg