HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Alrighty, so I'm back in front of my laptop and as promised a little "how to" on night photography. And a quick photo edit from this weekend's trips is below as well. As for the photo, it all depends on what lens and camera you're using. The wider the aperture the better. Ideally you want to sit at 1.8 or 1.4, but a 2.8 aperture works just fine. I have even done some at 3.2. After that you want to set your ISO somewhere between 2000-6400. Then you want to setup on a tripod and expose your image anywhere between 15-27 seconds. So you'll need a tripod and an intervalometer to get exact exposure times if your camera doesn't allow it. The most important part is your lens and tripod, you won't be able to do the shot hand held. Let me know if you have any questions I'll be more than happy to help!

Oh and as to what time to shoot, it depends, you want to go on a night when the moon sets really early or isn't visible at all. The Milky Way will be up by the horizon around 3am -4am in the spring and as it gets later into the year it shows up earlier. I use an app called PhotoPills to track it.

Thanks for the info. Checked out the app and downloaded it.... :sunglasses:

browndirtcowboy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Manteca, California
Member #

My 2016 off road Tacoma, Fox dsc shocks,warn zeon Platinum winch , C4 lopro bumper and sliders and many more mods...20180106_150604.jpg
Coral Hollow Trail
PSX_20171228_143812.jpg 2017050695124423-02.jpg
Frank Raines OHV Park
Just sold her 1 month ago to start on the new build...
Until my lift comes Im feeling soccer momish....
20180222_170154 (1).jpg While waiting on the king setup I decided to work on lighting and the grill... Morimoto Hid's and Led fogs some raptor stlye driving lights...The stock lighting in the 4runner is horrible.
20180326_183732.jpg

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
My 2016 off road Tacoma, Fox dsc shocks,warn zeon Platinum winch , C4 lopro bumper and sliders and many more mods...View attachment 52360
Coral Hollow Trail
View attachment 52361 View attachment 52362
Frank Raines OHV Park
Just sold her 1 month ago to start on the new build...
Until my lift comes Im feeling soccer momish....
View attachment 52364 While waiting on the king setup I decided to work on lighting and the grill... Morimoto Hid's and Led fogs some raptor stlye driving lights...The stock lighting in the 4runner is horrible.
View attachment 52365
Is this a Toyota commercial? :laughing: Just kidding... like the pics. :sunglasses:

ChasWG

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

My son and I took our Project XJ rig out this past weekend to do a little testing and stretch the legs of this 1995 Jeep Cherokee that we bought last May and have been building it up to explore the Colorado mountains and other places.
Its been a lot of hard work (and money) we've put into this build so far and its great to see how far its come!

This is Project XJ on Day 1 shortly after we bought it.20170503_144017_HDR.jpg

And here's basically the same Jeep XJ less than a year later flexing its new suspension on a rock up in the mountains above Colorado Springs, CO. 20180325_131956_HDR.jpg

Getting the new hardware a bit muddy!
20180325_150243.jpg

Tempting fate? Maybe, but this massive rock has been here on the side of this road even before there was a road here. It looks like its just a stiff breeze away from falling. One of the great sights along Mt Herman Road on our way to do the Schubarth Loop Trail.
20180325_132354.jpg