Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Welcome aboard, @coulter6

Tell us about the AutoHome. I'd love to rent one to see how it works for me. How hard is it to close on top of the 4Runner (I've got a 2016 coming in a couple of weeks.) I like the ones that open both at the front and rear, but not sure if I could reach up to pull down the front.

coulter6

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Albuquerque, NM
Member #

I really like the AirTop. It's very easy to deploy and close. It is pretty high up on the 4Runner and my main concern before I bought it was how hard would it be to close. Well, it turned out that it's easy.

To close, I start at the front. I open the front doors of the 4Runner and stand in the foot wells. Pull down on the strap and buckle the strap until it snaps in the first or second click. That gives room to tuck the canvas in over the lift system gas rams. (This is the only thing that I would say lacks with the AirTop. You must make sure that its tucked in correctly and completely or you may pinch the canvas and put a small hole in it.) Go to the other side and do the same. Once the 2 front sides are tucked in, go the the rear and pull it closed.

I stand on the rear bumper to loop the closing strap handle over the bottom lock to hold it down; at this time I do not latch it. Then go to each side and tuck in the canvas. I also put the ladder in the tent at this time. I do use a folding stool to reach the rear areas of the tent (EZ Foldz 12" Step Stool). Once its tucked in, I latch the rear a few clicks and move to the front making sure all the canvas is tucked it all around. Then completely close the 2 front latches, then back to the rear to completely close the rear latch. It takes less than 5 minutes to get it closed up (gets faster with practice).

I had a small Autohome Columbus variant that closed much easier but it was shorter on the inside. The Columbus also had more head room and you could kneel fully to get dressed. The AirTop has more ventilation with windows/doors on 3 sides and a window in the front. It's also lower profile for those windy nights.

Renting one to see if you like it would be an excellent idea. For 2 people, it might be a good idea to get a second ladder so you don't have to crawl over each other to get in and out.

Congrats on your new 4Runner, I'm sure you'll love it - I do.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thank you @coulter6 for the very thorough description! I'd seen videos of the James Baroud tents being closed, and it just looked awkward. Without actually seeing the front closing pieces, I was thinking that using a cheek block mounted to the lower housing might allow me to just stand on the ground and pull it closed. I've probably got a couple somewhere in my box of sailboat parts in the garage attic...

I haven't contacted either manufacturer to see if there are places somewhere near me that rent them. I did contact the nearest Cricket Trailer vendor about renting one of theirs, but never heard back from them.

coulter6

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Albuquerque, NM
Member #

I looked at a James Baroud on the same trip I went to see the AirTop. IMHO the Autohome was better made. When The Baroud owner went to close his tent, he had all kinds of problems getting it down and latched. He had to re-open it twice to get it to close properly. He said he had more than 100 nights in it, but that didn't seem to make any difference with him getting it closed. The Autohome is much easier to handle.

The pulley may make it easier, but it's not bad standing in the foot wells to get it down.

Here’s a pic of one of the latches:

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
This is my 2nd post on this site as I just found it , I hope to contribute and maybe join in on some CA trips ...

up in the Inyo's

eastern Sierra

Rubicon

Big Sur

Anza

I've covered a lot of ground over the years . I'm happy to share any info on trails , 2nd gen Toyota stuff and mods, overland stuff . I'm also excited to me some more people to go wheelin' with ! There is a good group of people here in the Bay Area , but it's always nice to meet more . Lookin' forward to wheelin' weather in the Sierra soon :)

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
This is my 2nd post on this site as I just found it , I hope to contribute and maybe join in on some CA trips ...

up in the Inyo's

eastern Sierra

Rubicon

Big Sur

Anza

I've covered a lot of ground over the years . I'm happy to share any info on trails , 2nd gen Toyota stuff and mods, overland stuff . I'm also excited to me some more people to go wheelin' with ! There is a good group of people here in the Bay Area , but it's always nice to meet more . Lookin' forward to wheelin' weather in the Sierra soon :)
Nice looking rig. Start a build thread if you get a chance. I'm a Jeep guy, but always enjoy reading and seeing what others have done to their rigs.

Reactions: JakeW and k9sar

onedaatmc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colfax, California
Member #

so got the OME Stock Height springs on along with the shocks , gain 2" in the front and 1.5" in the rear ... I opted to also put 20mm spacers on top of the front coils , for no stink bug look ! I'll drive it tomorrow to see and feel the difference !... oh and also took the running boards off yesterday ... they were just in the way ...