Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Here are a few pictures of my 2011 Volkswagen Amarok.

The plan is to build it out a bit with a rack over the tray and a rooftop tent on the rack.

But so far I have done about 30000 km in the last year and it's been an absolute treat!

View attachment 133456
View attachment 133457
View attachment 133458
View attachment 133459

Let me know what you guys think!
I didn't even know VW even made a
Pick up truck. Give us some info on it like motor size and kind, tonnage etc. Thanks for the post.

Reactions: FrankieNL

FrankieNL

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Sipoo, Finland
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Berenschot
Member #

I didn't even know VW even made a
Pick up truck. Give us some info on it like motor size and kind, tonnage etc. Thanks for the post.
Yea, US doesn't get the VW trucks.. This one has 2.0 BiTDI diesel engine making 161 hp towing about 6000 lbs . But the newer models (2016+) have a 3l V6 turbo.

Really nice trucks and very economical for their size and comes standard rear e-locked with a really decent low range as well.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yea, US doesn't get the VW trucks.. This one has 2.0 BiTDI diesel engine making 161 hp towing about 6000 lbs . But the newer models (2016+) have a 3l V6 turbo.

Really nice trucks and very economical for their size and comes standard rear e-locked with a really decent low range as well.
Thank you for the info. It always irks me that the US dosent allow certain cars- trucks to be imported. I just found out yesterday that the new Ford Ranger will only have a v6 engine, but in Australia it will have a v8 engine. It has something to do with what someone call's fleet average gas mileage for the manufacture. Also Ford dosent want the Ranger sales to outnumber the F Series full size trucks.
Nice hearing from you guys over in Europe.
Keep it coming. :-)

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Here are a few pictures of my 2011 Volkswagen Amarok.

The plan is to build it out a bit with a rack over the tray and a rooftop tent on the rack.

But so far I have done about 30000 km in the last year and it's been an absolute treat!

View attachment 133456
View attachment 133457
View attachment 133458
View attachment 133459

Let me know what you guys think!
Have you found that 160HP to be lacking on a ~4,000lbs vehicle?

And that fuel economy is insane – something like 7.9l/100km?! I'm quite jealous. I'd say I average about roughly 19MPG, which equates to around 12.25l/100km, in my 2010 Subaru Forester XT, and it weighs about 700 pounds less than the Amarok. I do love having all that power when I need it but boy is it a thirsty vehicle.

FrankieNL

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Sipoo, Finland
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Berenschot
Member #

Have you found that 160HP to be lacking on a ~4,000lbs vehicle?

And that fuel economy is insane – something like 7.9l/100km?! I'm quite jealous. I'd say I average about roughly 19MPG, which equates to around 12.25l/100km, in my 2010 Subaru Forester XT, and it weighs about 700 pounds less than the Amarok. I do love having all that power when I need it but boy is it a thirsty vehicle.
Your right, it consumes about 7.9l/100 but I have had it even down to about 6.5l/100km. Power is not a very big issue, but it would be nice sometime to be able to pull away on a country road when there is only one lane and you want to overtake a car quickly.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Your right, it consumes about 7.9l/100 but I have had it even down to about 6.5l/100km. Power is not a very big issue, but it would be nice sometime to be able to pull away on a country road when there is only one lane and you want to overtake a car quickly.
To me a lack of power when passing is very dangerous. I'm attuned to having the power instantly when I need it. I'm not a lead foot and I drive a land rover discovery 2, so you know by that I don't exceed the speed limits and even drive under the limits on the interstates. Fortunately on the country roads where the speed limits are lower, I at least have enough get up and go for safe passing of the occasional pokey hogging the road at below the speed limits. To slow is as bad as to fast IMO.

FrankieNL

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Sipoo, Finland
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Berenschot
Member #

To me a lack of power when passing is very dangerous. I'm attuned to having the power instantly when I need it. I'm not a lead foot and I drive a land rover discovery 2, so you know by that I don't exceed the speed limits and even drive under the limits on the interstates. Fortunately on the country roads where the speed limits are lower, I at least have enough get up and go for safe passing of the occasional pokey hogging the road at below the speed limits. To slow is as bad as to fast IMO.
Completely get it yeah. Unfortunately here in Finland when you go north almost all the roads turn into single-lane 50mh roads and you will have to pass a truck here and there.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Completely get it yeah. Unfortunately here in Finland when you go north almost all the roads turn into single-lane 50mh roads and you will have to pass a truck here and there.
160 hp is not that shabby if you have a rear gear about 4.10:1 and 4-5 speed tranny.

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Here are some from the Alvord Desert, Blue Mtn in WA., Whipsaw Trail in Canada. It’s taken us to awesome places and introduced us to even more awesome people...

Attachments