Enthusiast I

Malta
First Name
Paul
Last Name
~~
Member #

Hello,

I have been looking for some kind of European wide regulations related to 4x4 Lift kits and other modifications such as steal front bumpers and winches... No luck so far :sweatsmile:

I am trying my luck on this forum in the hopes of getting some information before starting to modify my N70 Hilux. I'm more interested in building a capable touring rig; which hopefully would allow me to travel our beautiful continent :blush:

Does anybody know of such regulations or if these are regulated individually by countries?

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Paul,

There are general regulations in place within the EU. But what I understand from your post is that you are based in Malta and you need to get your modifications street legal in the jursidiction of Malta, correct? The rules and procedures for the technical approvals of modifications are different from state to state. And even within a state like Germany we have (slightly) different procedures form province to province. So it is not that easy.
So you have to find out which rules and procedures apply for Malta if I got it right that you are based there and the rig needs to get a street legal after modification there.

Cheers,
Bjoern

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

ApapHilux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Malta
First Name
Paul
Last Name
~~
Member #

Hi Paul,

There are general regulations in place within the EU. But what I understand from your post is that you are based in Malta and you need to get your modifications street legal in the jursidiction of Malta, correct? The rules and procedures for the technical approvals of modifications are different from state to state. And even within a state like Germany we have (slightly) different procedures form province to province. So it is not that easy.
So you have to find out which rules and procedures apply for Malta if I got it right that you are based there and the rig needs to get a street legal after modification there.

Cheers,
Bjoern
I am based in Malta :blush: and I already am on the hunt for Maltese regulations.

Yes, you are correct; I need the rig to be street legal.

I am trying to get as much information as possible on such regulations since I am planning to drive it across Europe; and I don't want to encounter any issues when crossing borders. I will try to keep it legal as much as possible following multiple regulations if necessary.

~~~ The dream is to drive from my tiny island country up to the Nordkapp ~~~ It's an ambitious dream :sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

The more information I may gather from different jurisdictions, the better :blush:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
[QUOTE="ApapHilux]

~~~ The dream is to drive from my tiny island country up to the Nordkapp ~~~ It's an ambitious dream :sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

[/QUOTE]

... a great dream, make it happen !!!

So, I think, if the rig is street legal in Malta, you will not have trouble.

Interesting, I travelled nearly all countries in Europe, but not Malta. Maybe I should do that? Please tell us more about Malta and overlanding or share some pics if you like. Thank you!

Cheers, Bjoern

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
... by the way, this is your target for that trip :wink:

Have been there two times... next time I guess I will go in winter. Travelled a lot in Skandinavia during summer and winter. So if you need some information for your trip, I am happy to share.

Bjoern

ApapHilux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Malta
First Name
Paul
Last Name
~~
Member #

Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for your help. I will try to get all mods certificated by our Transport Authority. Hopefully will not encounter any issues on the mainland continent :grinning:

Malta is a tiny country made up of a small archipelago south of Sicily; basically in the centre of the Mediterranean.

We have a lot of beautiful beaches one can enjoy and sunbath on :laughing:

Given the small size, you may basically go around the whole country in one day. Having said that, we still have some nice trails and beautiful camping spots.

If you like swimming, diving, and beautiful weather, then you should definitely visit... even for a short break. Not to mention, that you may make a trip out of it through Italy and Sicily before arriving to Malta :grinning:

Cheers,
Paul

Some images, that might hopefully intrigue more and visit Malta
waves.jpg comino.jpg
camp.jpg sunset.jpg

ApapHilux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Malta
First Name
Paul
Last Name
~~
Member #

... by the way, this is your target for that trip :wink:

Have been there two times... next time I guess I will go in winter. Travelled a lot in Skandinavia during summer and winter. So if you need some information for your trip, I am happy to share.

Bjoern

That's definitely my target... And I'm sure I will come to this forum to ask many questions in the future... First I will need to set up my rig :blush:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for your help. I will try to get all mods certificated by our Transport Authority. Hopefully will not encounter any issues on the mainland continent :grinning:

Malta is a tiny country made up of a small archipelago south of Sicily; basically in the centre of the Mediterranean.

We have a lot of beautiful beaches one can enjoy and sunbath on :laughing:

Given the small size, you may basically go around the whole country in one day. Having said that, we still have some nice trails and beautiful camping spots.

If you like swimming, diving, and beautiful weather, then you should definitely visit... even for a short break. Not to mention, that you may make a trip out of it through Italy and Sicily before arriving to Malta :grinning:

Cheers,
Paul

Some images, that might hopefully intrigue more and visit Malta
View attachment 157929 View attachment 157927
View attachment 157926 View attachment 157928
Wow, that looks really good! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Bjoern

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Definitely watching. The legal considerations are more important to me than the marketing.
Gorgeous water, beaches.

Reactions: ApapHilux

GeoCampers #4771

Mid Europe Local Expert, France, Belgium
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

for Europe it is quite simple (kind off). If your vehicle is in compliance with the rules of the country it is registered in, than you are fine. you will not get stopped or get a ticket anywhere in Europe (and most places outside Europe) as long as you have the right documents needed for your country.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

for Europe it is quite simple (kind off). If your vehicle is in compliance with the rules of the country it is registered in, than you are fine. you will not get stopped or get a ticket anywhere in Europe (and most places outside Europe) as long as you have the right documents needed for your country.
This ^^^ is how it works across North America too, plus the obvious safety concerns like legal lighting, ie headlights not above the legal height, fenders which cover the tires, an exhaust system and proper tuning to keep it quiet and CLEAN, and not doing negative activities which attract the local constabulary while travelling.

If your unit looks like a mobile meth lab, expect trouble.

ApapHilux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Malta
First Name
Paul
Last Name
~~
Member #

Many thanks for your reply. Currently I am looking for a Local engineer to get information beforehand, and eventually assist me in certifying any modifications I may do to the rig.

Hopefully such documentation will keep me out of trouble :)

Reactions: El-Dracho

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Like Toon already said and Bjoern as well.
If your car is ok in Malta it is ok in the rest of Europe as well. No worries there.

If you are making a travel car, with 4x4 mods that arent over the top there will be no problem.
Those kind of mods are not that visual. And therefore the police and such dont bother.

If you are driving with 44 inch tires on 20 inch rims, well, then they stop you just to have a look. hehehe

• Haha

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Many thanks for your reply. Currently I am looking for a Local engineer to get information beforehand, and eventually assist me in certifying any modifications I may do to the rig.

Hopefully such documentation will keep me out of trouble :)
Yes, from my experience with rig modifications it is always a good idea to talk to the approval engineer in advance and then do the modifications. So you are able to built it in the way the expert and final approver in this case advises you.

Good luck!
Bjoern

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Do these same compliance rules in Europe apply to vehicles outside the EU or just those registered in member countries? Would I be able to bring my registered and street-legal in California Jeep to drive in Europe? I have been wanting to go back to Iceland for a more extended visit one of these years that would involve ferrying my own vehicle there from Denmark while also spending some time on the main continent before/after. I had always assumed there would be no major issues with this.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Do these same compliance rules in Europe apply to vehicles outside the EU or just those registered in member countries? Would I be able to bring my registered and street-legal in California Jeep to drive in Europe? I have been wanting to go back to Iceland for a more extended visit one of these years that would involve ferrying my own vehicle there from Denmark while also spending some time on the main continent before/after. I had always assumed there would be no major issues with this.
If you want to register the car in Europe than it usually needs some modifications. But if it is just a temporary import it is no issue.. The only requirement is for Right hand vehicles to have the lights tuned so you don't blind the others, usually it solved with some stickers applied to the lights. Not the case for a US car.

If it is legal in US, will be legal inside EU, all 27 countries. The other thing you need is insurance cover. It is called mandatory 3 rd party insurance, all vehicles have it ( or should ) . This will cover what ever damage you do to other vehicles or property, people with the car if it is your fault.
This will be valid as well inside all EU, and for this type of temporary import is about about 100 euro / month, there are many companies, you need to do a bit of online search. You can keep the vehicle for maximum of 6 months, after 6 months you either pay a crapload of taxes,( to the tune of up to 35 % its book value ) , sell it or ship it back.
Other costs include some toll roads, some countries have a Vignette, a small tax usually to use the road there payable at the entry. and fuel, very expensive in EU. and thats about it. .
My advice is to ship in Netherlands or Germany, many choices there and competent custom offices.

Last edited:

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

If you want to register the car in Europe than it usually needs some modifications. But if it is just a temporary import it is no issue.. The only requirement is for Right hand vehicles to have the lights tuned so you don't blind the others, usually it solved with some stickers applied to the lights. Not the case for a US car.

If it is legal in US, will be legal inside EU, all 27 countries. The other thing you need is insurance cover. It is called mandatory 3 rd party insurance, all vehicles have it ( or should ) . This will cover what ever damage you do to other vehicles or property, people with the car if it is your fault.
This will be valid as well inside all EU, and for this type of temporary import is about about 100 euro / month, there are many companies, you need to do a bit of online search. You can keep the vehicle for maximum of 6 months, after 6 months you either pay a crapload of taxes,( to the tune of up to 35 % its book value ) , sell it or ship it back.
Other costs include some toll roads, some countries have a Vignette, a small tax usually to use the road there payable at the entry. and fuel, very expensive in EU. and thats about it. .
My advice is to ship in Netherlands or Germany, many choices there and competent custom offices.
Good to know that this all seems reasonable. I'll now need to do more research on how I'll ship my rig back and forth from the states.

Reactions: leeloo

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Good to know that this all seems reasonable. I'll now need to do more research on how I'll ship my rig back and forth from the states.

... I did it the other way round, Europe to US and back again. It was super easy! If you need any specific information about it, just let me know. I am happy to help!

Cheers, Bjoern