Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Good information regarding the temporary import to EU: Temporary importation of a vehicle

And I would like to add an important information to the insurance topic. I helped some overlanders with a rig registered in Australia some time ago to get the 3rd party insurance for Europe. It turned out that for some reason not ALL countries we as EU residents and with vehcicles registered in the EU usually have included (and even this depends on the inusrance companies, sometimes they exclude for example Russia, sometimes it is included). So if you get the insurance documents, check that and if necessary get an additional insurance at the border.

Enjoy,
Bjoern

Reactions: ApapHilux

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Wha
Good to know that this all seems reasonable. I'll now need to do more research on how I'll ship my rig back and forth from the states.
What you may want to consider is that even if it's legal you might get In trouble with some things because they get considered as "to dangerous", there are two things coming directly to the mind: stubby front bumper with stinger and tires sticking out of the fenders by far.
The reaction to this will really depend on the mood of the police officer, but it has the potential to ruin your day.

ApapHilux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Malta
First Name
Paul
Last Name
~~
Member #

Good information regarding the temporary import to EU: Temporary importation of a vehicle

And I would like to add an important information to the insurance topic. I helped some overlanders with a rig registered in Australia some time ago to get the 3rd party insurance for Europe. It turned out that for some reason not ALL countries we as EU residents and with vehcicles registered in the EU usually have included (and even this depends on the inusrance companies, sometimes they exclude for example Russia, sometimes it is included). So if you get the insurance documents, check that and if necessary get an additional insurance at the border.

Enjoy,
Bjoern
Thanks for the information related to Insurance Policies.

By any chance are there any Insurers that provide full coverage or at least 3rd part with Fire & Theft?

Thanks,
Paul

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for the information related to Insurance Policies.

By any chance are there any Insurers that provide full coverage or at least 3rd part with Fire & Theft?

Thanks,
Paul
Hi Paul,

The information I posted above about insurance is related to NON-EU rigs/ NON-EU-residents. I do not know how car insurance works in Malta, but I assume that it is similar to other states in Europe. In Germany a liability insurance is mandatory for the car. On top we can choose a part or a full coverage (and various add-ons).

Maybe check with you local insurance agent or insurer?

Cheers, Bjoern

ApapHilux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Malta
First Name
Paul
Last Name
~~
Member #

Hi Paul,

The information I posted above about insurance is related to NON-EU rigs/ NON-EU-residents. I do not know how car insurance works in Malta, but I assume that it is similar to other states in Europe. In Germany a liability insurance is mandatory for the car. On top we can choose a part or a full coverage (and various add-ons).

Maybe check with you local insurance agent or insurer?

Cheers, Bjoern

Hi Bjoern,

It's the same here in Malta. But they will not issue full coverage when driving abroad :/

Cheers, Paul

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Bjoern,

It's the same here in Malta. But they will not issue full coverage when driving abroad :/

Cheers, Paul
... ah, understand. I an ask somebody about this and if I find out something useful, I will come back to you!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Paul.

Just phoned an insurance agent I made very good experiences with while getting an insurance for my rig for North America some years ago.

They said that they know the "Malta-issue" and are able to provide insurance coverage. I have sent you a message with the contact details. If this works well and is that what you are looking for, I propose that we word a little write-up here, to help other OB members who have the same question.

Cheers, Bjoern

ApapHilux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Malta
First Name
Paul
Last Name
~~
Member #

Wha

What you may want to consider is that even if it's legal you might get In trouble with some things because they get considered as "to dangerous", there are two things coming directly to the mind: stubby front bumper with stinger and tires sticking out of the fenders by far.
The reaction to this will really depend on the mood of the police officer, but it has the potential to ruin your day.
Thanks for your comments, I wasn't planning on doing such "in your face" modification.

Aesthetically, I'm more inclined on putting a steel bumper with hoops and winch; and 3" to 4" lift with 32" or 33" tires (if they fit). After that, I'll sort out canopy storage with a drawers system; and a Roof rack with side awning.

Hopefully, I will not get into trouble. I will be also consulting with a local engineer to help me get certificates for my mods.

Cheers,
Paul

Reactions: El-Dracho