Rig Lighting

• HTML tutorial

john casson

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Danville CA
Member #

You don't any hassle from police with the rearward bar do you? I had a shell installed on my Frontier and would like to have some rearward light up high like that. Wondering if it's worth it or not from the 5-0 stand point.
Been over 2 years, zero issues from police in California.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Never needed big lights in california. Forest is on fire most of the time. Now a smokey smell reducing air freshener sure would be nice. But that's still better than the sandy eggo smell.

Still trying to resist bolting Fyrlyts to the front bumper and adding two flood ditch lights to he hood. Angled out, almost completely sideways. Budgets and stuff.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
In addition to my sealed beam Sylvania Silverstar headlights I have 2 Per-Lux 250,000 cp spot lights facing forward for long distance lighting, 2 Per-Lux 35,000 cp flood lights pointing 30* off to the side for road sides and seeing eyes of animals. In the rear I have 2 old school 6" incandescent oval lights in the bumper. I tried LEDs but they were too focused for my use I like a wide pattern.

My lighting combination is old and outdated compared to what a lot of you run but it's been working fine for 25 years for me. One of the biggest improvements you can make with your lights is to take time and aim them. That will make an amazing difference for you and your night driving.

Edited to add an answer to a PM. At the time of these photos I'm running dual Odyssey batteries and a 250 amp alternator to run the electrical load.

IMG_2293_600.jpg

Detail of Willys rear bumper.jpeg

Last edited:

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

I have a Jeep JK, I’m looking to install the JW Speaker EVO J3, because of off road setting and the built in turn signals, so the factory location can house the Trail 6 lights. I’m not a fan of all the lightbars. I’ll probably install some or the bumper and A-pillar if needed.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Is this really something you have to worry about in the nanny state of Kalifornia? Rear facing lights that are “OFF”? I guess being Kalifornia the would consider them “ASSAULT LIGHTS”
I'm one of the smart people who moved OUT of California lol, but I like to call it Commiefornia

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I am working on my lighting setup as we speak. I haven’t seen a reasonably priced led light that works good, so for my wrangler, I am converting a set of ece hella housings with 35w 4300k hids for my headlights, and adding a set of hella 500 driving housings with 55w 4300hid in them. I have run this combo before and it completely destroys and led combo that’s remotely close in cost. I have run jw and truck lite led and the ece housings are way better.

for the patriot, we are installing a set of 35w 4300k hids in the stock headlight housings. I ran this combo for the 11 months I had my 2010 pat and it worked great. For driving lighting, I’m adding a rocky road stage one mount with hella 450 driving housings with 55w 4300k hid.

still trying to figure out fog light duties for both.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Just be certain to spend some time staring into your jeep headlights at night to make sure they aren't too bright. Low beams are dim for a reason.

Another jeeper caused a head on collision with aftermarket headlights in the rain (again). Be careful. Even the oem led's are a bit much.

Reactions: M Rose

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Oh, another thing to consider is colour temperature. 6000k that all led are is terrible for oncoming traffic, and is less light output than lower colour temperature light sources ...Toyota led housings are fine examples of this. Rip your retinas out when they are coming towards you but no light output only 50m in front of you.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Noticed the same with Lexus. The output drops like a wall at 100'.

Halogens work best in mid Ohio. Cut through snow best, even though dim and yellow. But Sylvania has higher output bulbs for those.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Mine for the Ford were great. I'll check out the Hella's. Thanks.