US West Reoccurring - Orange County Overland Bound Monthly Meet-up - 12/01/2018

• HTML tutorial

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Rally point has been updated as well as the events tab on OB - West facebook for 2019 OC Meetup schedule. Next one is Saturday, January 5th, we'll have a ham radio intro that day at 9am!

Details:
Time: 8am - 9am
Location: Steelhead Coffee, 23382 Mill Creek Dr, Laguna Hills, CA 92653
MAP

Have a great holiday and Happy New Year! See you there in January!
Hey Frank, I think I might actually be able to make this one, its only taken me 6 months but this is probably going to be the first Saturday of the month I don't have a trip planned!

Reactions: FrankRoams

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Hey Frank, I think I might actually be able to make this one, its only taken me 6 months but this is probably going to be the first Saturday of the month I don't have a trip planned!
Awesome!

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Rally point has been updated as well as the events tab on OB - West facebook for 2019 OC Meetup schedule. Next one is Saturday, January 5th, we'll have a ham radio intro that day at 9am!

Details:
MAP

Can't wait for the advanced ham radio course...I could even give a digital hotspot presentation at some point...I will be giving it at my local ham club meeting on Jan. 3rd.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Can't wait for the advanced ham radio course...I could even give a digital hotspot presentation at some point...I will be giving it at my local ham club meeting on Jan. 3rd.
Nice! I’d like to hear more about it. See about making that happen.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
If tomorrow goes "OC Rogs n Coffee at 23382 Mill Creek Dr. Laguna Hills, CA". Right?
Thank is correct! Tomorrow's meet up is 8am - 11am and there will be an intro to ham session at 9:30am.

Reactions: Pindal

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Great, see you tomorrow. we will be with you for the first time. Two adult overlanders and one mini overlander.
We're going from Pasadena.
Awesome! We'll have a station set up to receive on frequency 146.460. If you have a ham radio feel free to call in on your way! We'll have the radio up about 7:30am.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Thank you all for the excellent meeting today, especially Frank for the call.
I hope we have the opportunity to see us next month.
Happy week to all.
I share some of the images I did.
Awesome!! Glad you made it out and had a good time!

Jaebronski

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Jae
Last Name
Choi
Member #

Details:
MAP

I know this event has past, just curious to know what a ham radio was? And how to join the Facebook group? Thanks in advance!

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
I know this event has past, just curious to know what a ham radio was? And how to join the Facebook group? Thanks in advance!
A Ham radio is a radio that transmits in the frequencies governed by the FCC allocated for amateur use. Access to these frequencies requires a license. There other frequencies that will hear about that are do not require a license, and some that only require a fee (no exam) to acquire a license. CB - no license anyone can use. for example. FRS requires no license, GMRS is a fee paid to the FCC and the license is good for you and your family for 10 years.
a ham license is also good for 10 years but is only issued to the individual. There are some usage exceptions that I won't get into, there are many threads here that do a much better job covering the details. But Essentially these frequencies are much more capable and are shared in some cases with emergency services so licensing and proper instruction is required. Don't let that scare you though, it sounds intimidating. IMO it's way easier than getting your drivers license.

Most are moving to ham because of capability and improved range and audio quality. One of those capabilities is APRS, yes you can transmit GPS Coordinates on specific ham radio devices. You can even create a data network if you're skilled enough. I'll try and find a detailed thread that contains this. maybe @Chris Jones knows of one he can link?

UPDATE: I did find this thread that has some good info in it but I haven't found a consolidated summary. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/frequency-discussion-and-education.17792/

To join the Facebook group you need to be a badged member, then simply click the link in my signature and submit your member number when prompted.

Reactions: Jaebronski

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

A Ham radio is a radio that transmits in the frequencies governed by the FCC allocated for amateur use. Access to these frequencies requires a license. There other frequencies that will hear about that are do not require a license, and some that only require a fee (no exam) to acquire a license. CB - no license anyone can use. for example. FRS requires no license, GMRS is a fee paid to the FCC and the license is good for you and your family for 10 years.
a ham license is also good for 10 years but is only issued to the individual. There are some usage exceptions that I won't get into, there are many threads here that do a much better job covering the details. But Essentially these frequencies are much more capable and are shared in some cases with emergency services so licensing and proper instruction is required. Don't let that scare you though, it sounds intimidating. IMO it's way easier than getting your drivers license.

Most are moving to ham because of capability and improved range and audio quality. One of those capabilities is APRS, yes you can transmit GPS Coordinates on specific ham radio devices. You can even create a data network if you're skilled enough. I'll try and find a detailed thread that contains this. maybe @Chris Jones knows of one he can link?

UPDATE: I did find this thread that has some good info in it but I haven't found a consolidated summary. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/frequency-discussion-and-education.17792/

To join the Facebook group you need to be a badged member, then simply click the link in my signature and submit your member number when prompted.
I don't think there is a single thread that is the best. A lot of good tidbits in these ones.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/ham-radio-hf-vhf-uhf.854/
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/ham-cb-gmrs-handheld-vs-mobile-transceivers-get-one-get-the-other-or-get-them-all.18045/

Jaebronski

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Jae
Last Name
Choi
Member #

It definitely does sound intimidating haha! I'll definitely have to look into this! Thanks for your help/info Frank! Loving all the help I'm receiving from this community already!

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
It definitely does sound intimidating haha! I'll definitely have to look into this! Thanks for your help/info Frank! Loving all the help I'm receiving from this community already!
it is a lot to take in at first and all at once. That's part of the what makes it intimidating. It's like seeing a fully built rig and thinking you have to get to that in 6 weeks. Daunting, but also not the reality. Take it slow ask lots of questions. This group is a lot like ham, eager to help and will take any opportunity to talk about their setup and gear :)

Meetups are a great place to meet that have either done it or are on the same path as you. You can also see the setups and start thinking about what you need vs what you want.

Reactions: Jaebronski

Jaebronski

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Jae
Last Name
Choi
Member #

WTFSoCal

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Lake Mission Viejo, Mission Viejo, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1BU
Would there happen to be a meet up in the next weekend? Im new to the group, sent a follow req. to the Mod over at FB OB - west , looking forward to making some more OB friends. FWIT im a Extra class ham, but not a geek :-)

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Would there happen to be a meet up in the next weekend? Im new to the group, sent a follow req. to the Mod over at FB OB - west , looking forward to making some more OB friends. FWIT im a Extra class ham, but not a geek :-)
Yup, there is one this weekend in Laguna Hills at Steelhead Coffee. 8am-11am.

Reactions: Fjforles