Reno/Tahoe Trip November 6th! - Ellis Peak? Blackwood Canyon Trail?

• HTML tutorial

Noahs2015TacoSupreme

Rank II
Launch Member
Supporter

Contributor I

Danville CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Wong
Member #

I will be visiting the Reno area the weekend of October 29th & 30th. Wanted to see if anyone was interested in hitting a trail close to Reno, or North Lake Tahoe area. While I've done some research online and found a few recommended trails like Ellis Peak, I don't have any personal experience with trails in this area so I'm open to suggestions. I prefer something that is rated moderate to easy, and prefer traveling from east to west. I figure we can meet at the trail head around 9:30am Sunday (30th) morning. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Reactions: O.Dfj and Kelly

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

I will be visiting the Reno area the weekend of October 29th & 30th. Wanted to see if anyone was interested in hitting a trail close to Reno, or North Lake Tahoe area. While I've done some research online and found a few recommended trails like Ellis Peak, I don't have any personal experience with trails in this area so I'm open to suggestions. I prefer something that is rated moderate to easy, and prefer traveling from east to west. I figure we can meet at the trail head around 9:30am Sunday (30th) morning. Let me know if anyone is interested.
I would love to join you, but have plans already. Sourdough point is a terrific vista as well. You can see Loon lake and basically the entire Rubicon trail route from that point, including Spider lake, Buck Island lake and the 2 smaller lakes above Buck Island (cant remember their names). We had just done that run in August at Cal 4's Sierratek.

You could reach out to Grass Valley 4WD club and see if someone there would like to join you. They are very familiar with that area and always up for an adventure.

Mitch

Ellis peak

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161012/cdbea7da3e6989fef88acf8f3621214a.jpg[/IMG

Sourdough point
[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161012/b5c928358a8da33f4dcd7708e197b8d0.jpg

Reactions: VDawg1115

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Don't know Ellis Peak, but IN Reno the Hunter Lake Trail might still be open. Also Lagomarsino Petroglyphs will be passable if it isn't too wet.

Also There's a quartz crystal mine and a fire lookout just out of Verdi that is fun/easy.

-M

Gary_Tsang

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Gatos, CA, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Tsang
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6RHD
Sounds like a great trip would love to join but have commitment this weekend.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

So its a sunday trip i might be able to swing this.

Noahs2015TacoSupreme

Rank II
Launch Member
Supporter

Contributor I

Danville CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Wong
Member #

So its a sunday trip i might be able to swing this.
Hey Zack

Yup just a Sunday day trip. It would be great if you could make it, the more the merrier! If we do the Ellis Peak/Blackwood Canyon trail it should take us a minimum of 4 hours, but more likely 6-7 hours with fun and interesting sites along the trail.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Hey Zack

Yup just a Sunday day trip. It would be great if you could make it, the more the merrier! If we do the Ellis Peak/Blackwood Canyon trail it should take us a minimum of 4 hours, but more likely 6-7 hours with fun and interesting sites along the trail.
Ill know for sure tomorrow if I can go.

Noahs2015TacoSupreme

Rank II
Launch Member
Supporter

Contributor I

Danville CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Wong
Member #

I'm thinking we could meet here: 310 W River Rd, Tahoe City, CA 96145 (Chevron Gas Station)

From what I can tell it's the closest gas station to the trail head. Does 9:30am still work?

Noahs2015TacoSupreme

Rank II
Launch Member
Supporter

Contributor I

Danville CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Wong
Member #

Is everyone still okay going in the snow (OD, Michael, VDawg & Recon)? I've never been on this trail so I'm not sure how difficult it will be with snow in the picture. According to the Forecast that I'm looking at it looks like the snow will be in the afternoon.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Im down if other people are still in. Snow might make it interesting. We might want to check if the trails are open in bad weather.

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Im down if other people are still in. Snow might make it interesting. We might want to check if the trails are open in bad weather.
That's true. Weather will determine if a lot of trails are open or not. Since this is in the immediate Tahoe area it would be wise to check first

Reactions: O.Dfj

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

That's true. Weather will determine if a lot of trails are open or not. Since this is in the immediate Tahoe area it would be wise to check first
In eldorado national forest technically all dirt roads are closed after rain for like 48 hours or something like that