HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
5990-1.jpeg Virginia City / Petroglyphs Day Run Petroglyphs to VC Day run Route.JPG

The day started with early morning texts to and from Bill and Aaron whether the morning rain would stop, and the run would not be overly muddy. After a bit of weather watching, the run was on and no cancellation notice needed to be sent out. Hurrah!

Meet up at Lockwood

11 rigs pulled into Lockwood market prior to the departing time of 10:AM, representing 27 eager participants looking forward to another day-run speckled with a little Nevada history. Even though the sky was cloudy, the ground was dry, and it seemed that no rain was predicted until the afternoon.

Meet at Lockwood 2.jpg

And we’re off

After everyone visited the market for munchie essentials, Aaron lead the pack down Canyon Way. Just passed the Mine we dropped down into a wash then pulled to the side of the road to air-down our tires.
Airing Down.jpg

Even though we had had rain in the greater Reno area it wasn’t muddy on the trail. The rain that the area did receive was just enough moisture to keep dust down.

Continuing down the trail it became very apparent that spots were very rocky several areas were heavily rutted. However, by taking the proper line everyone made it thru without problems.
Rough patch 2.jpg

Several miles of the trail consist of shelf roads with steep drop-offs and a few fairly narrow in spots. Slow and steady was the rule of the day. Even the F150 crew cab, being the widest rig with us, had no problems on those shelf roads.

negotiating ruts washes and slants.jpg

Rigs in a row.jpg

And the Views were worth it

Lots of beautiful vistas as you climb up in elevation before cresting at about 5600‘. The trail then takes you down into a long valley with wide open views.
view back to mine.jpg view ahead to goal.jpg

Splashes of Orange, Blue, yellow & white flowers welcomed us along the trail.
Flowers 1.jpg rock on log.jpg old stone chimney.jpg Flowers 2.jpg

Approximately 13 miles from where we started, we reached the parking area for the Petroglyphs but not before making a small water crossing & climbing a small hill.

creek and wash crossing.jpg

At the Lagomarsino Petroglyphs
Rigs at Petroglyphs 2.jpg

Lagomarsino Petroglyphs

Sign at entrance.jpg
A short walk up the road from where we parked was the gated entrance to the Petroglyphs, even though a few could be seen across from where we parked.
exploring 2.jpg

After a lunch break, everyone started up the road past the gate towards the largest rock art sites in Nevada. And when they say largest, they mean it--tons of Petroglyphs to see and many rocks to clamber over.

P10.jpg

P2.jpgP3.jpgP4.jpgP6.jpgP8.jpgP9.jpg

Time to go home
We returned via a different trail that took us towards Virginia City exiting the trail at Lousetown road just below Virginia City. There were fewer shelf roads with white knuckle drop offs and a less rough ride. We also saw a group of wild horses.
Mustangs 1.jpg

Mustangs 2.jpg Mustangs 3.jpg

Rigs a climbimg.jpg

Thanks everyone for joining today and thanks to Aaron for leading the pack. Until the next Run…Stay Safe.

Attachments

MagmaFJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor III

NV, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Julicher
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9RGK
High Rock Canyon Overnighter Highlights

Marc B @delta22 did a great job leading some of the Reno Overlanding Gang to the High Rock Canyon. Here are the Highlights.

Wow! What a difference a couple weeks makes. We were up there on Saturday (8th). Much less nasty.

Attachments

Nataqua

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

NV, USA
First Name
Solifuge
Last Name
Nexus
Member #

Does anyone that's attending tonight's meeting have a pair of snap ring pliers I could borrow in the parking lot for a bit? I have a winch shackle I need to install on my new winch! See ya at Famous Dave's!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Pyle

Nataqua

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

NV, USA
First Name
Solifuge
Last Name
Nexus
Member #

Much Big Thanks to Aaron, Chris and Bill for getting that hook off and shackle installed and the line reeled up! I owe ya all a beer!

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
New Logo.jpg Meeting Minutes June 12, 2019

The Meeting opened the meeting at 6:PM. In attendance were 25 participants representing 15 Rigs with a couple of new folks who introduced themselves…Welcome.

Once the Agenda was reviewed Scott updated the group on Patches, Stickers, and Flag

Patches, Stickers, and Flag

Patches: Scott took a vote on the Patch to see whether the sun should be removed from the sample presented. The majority agreed to remove the Sun.
ROL Logo Patch.jpg

The cost per patch is estimated at $3.25 each and of the overlanders present, 50 patches will be needed. Extras will be purchased from the first run for others who were not present can get some.

Stickers: These will come at a later date

Flag: it was suggested to get a Reno Overlanding Flag to display at meetings, Run meetups, much less a great way of advertising the group. Scott will check on pricing.

Who knows…maybe if someone can come up with a catchy phrase for the Reno Overlanding group we can get a T-shirt made .

High Rock Canyon Learnings

A slide presentation was on loop prior to the opening of the meeting for everyone to see the adventure that Marc B. lead to see the petrified wood, Little High Rock, and Soldier Meadows Hot Springs. The trip participants were very grateful to Marc for leading the trail run and would love to do it again.

Marc and all were overwhelmed with the area and the camaraderie. Everyone was well prepared for the type of terrain and weather they experienced.

Learnings from the trip were
  • Bring a way to remove mud. i.e. extra water, road shower with sprayer, battery operated sprayer that you can drop in a bucket, etc.
  • Bring awnings or tarps with poles for rain, snow, and/or sun protection at campsites
  • Definitely extra Fuel…airing down and increase mud weight will reduce mileage
  • Mud boots or inclement weather gear
Hoping for another High Rock Canyon run later in the year

Upcoming trips in the Plans

Overnighters
  • Alabama Hills Overnighter with excursions to Trona Pinnacles and Darwin
  • Ghost Towns – Bodie, etc.
  • Ichthyosaur Overnighter with nighttime trail run
Trail Day Runs
  • Hunter Lake Trail the opposite way in
  • Crystal Mine and further down the trail
There was other suggestions offered but unfortunately, I did not capture them. Please send me those and we can plan them also.
One additional suggestion was that Aaron and his family usually go out to Carson River and camp during the July 4th holiday. If you want to join him, please let him know.

2019 Meeting Schedule
  • Rig Talk – Diff Breathers
  • Compressor vs. CO2
  • Meals and Prep
  • Tech Talk – Batteries – July 12th
  • Disaster Safety Prep/Survivor Skills – TBD
  • Gaia GPS – Making and Sharing Routes
  • Keeping Clean
Tonight’s Talk – Food Prep – Connie N.
20190617_131256.jpg
Since Connie’s presentation was requested to be sent out and it was an open discussion presentation, I added the discussion comments in the appropriate areas (I hope I did ).
20190612_185623.jpg
It is in PDF format attached to this post. Hopefully everyone can open it. If not, please reach out to Bill C. (diverman1955@gmail.com) for the .PPT (PowerPoint) version.

Q&A and Suggestions

After a recap of the upcoming events, the meeting was closed and everyone went outside to check out Rigs and assist Linda with her winch.

See ya at the next event

Attachments

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hey Everyone! I am brand new to the forum as of this afternoon. I posted in the "intro" thread earlier. I am going to keep an eye here for upcoming local stuff and I will hope that we can meet some of you in the future.
Please do. And welcome to OB. The Reno Overlanding group meets on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at Famous Dave's BBQ. We start the meetings at 6:PM.

Reactions: MikeandAndrea

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hey Everyone! I am brand new to the forum as of this afternoon. I posted in the "intro" thread earlier. I am going to keep an eye here for upcoming local stuff and I will hope that we can meet some of you in the future.
Welcome to Overland Bound

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Looking forward to meeting you

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Your meet-up group is so active! I hope @Kent R and I can find some time to join in on one of your runs. We love traveling in Nevada.
Thanks. I hope you can join us some time also. We also want to join you all too. Maybe we can put together a dual group meetup where each group can meet up at a specific location and do runs from there. I am working on an idea.

Reactions: Moriarty