Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
When is the next Reno meeting?
April 10th, 6 PM at Famous Dave's BBQ.
Here's the link to the recurring meeting thread.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Reno Overlanding Carson River Hot Springs Trail Run
Well it was time to get the gang back out on the trail after our hibernation from the 2018/19 winter’s ‘snowmageddon.’ Arron T. @WJeeper volunteered to lead the group to Carson River Hot Springs. Eight rigs showed up with 14 adults, two kids’ and one dog which is now designated as the group’s unofficial mascot.

91275 We met at the Arco station in Gardnerville at 10:am and pushed off at about 10:30am. About 20 minutes later we were at the Leviathan road exit off highway 395, then started down the trail to where we could air down our tires for those who wanted. This was a good thing to do since the trail was definitely a rocky path to follow and the rocks would prove to be a bit sharp for one in the group.

Down the trail we went skirting some ruts and listening to the rocks shift and knock around below the rigs. Soon we splashed through some melted snow which is better known as mud puddles. This was just the beginning to bigger mud puddles which ended up more as mud dipping in several places along with some creek crossings which helped wash some of the mud off.

The trail started as easy and moved to medium in several places, but the group had no issues traversing these stretches and soon were at an abandoned cabin where we stopped to explore.

After exploring the cabin and surrounding ranch we headed to the Hot Springs. Once we arrived, we lined up the rigs to take a group photo and have lunch and chill-lax.
91279 91281

At this point, several of the group wanted to dip in the hot springs stone hot tub to enjoy a soothing little heat therapy from bumping around on the rocky trail.

All to soon it was time to head along the Carson River back to our routed exit point which was further north on Highway 395 from where we entered. But first, a few climbs and some more mud dipping was in store. Then as we ascended another rocky hill, we all came to a dead stop—someone’s tire popped. Some of those rocks were a bit sharp.

Lance, Scott and Aaron quickly jumped into action and not 10 to 15 minutes later the spare was bolted on and the damaged tire put back on the swingarm.
91283 Then we were off again. 30 minutes later we were airing up our tires prior to jumping on the highway to return home.

A big shout out and thankyou to Aaron for leading us safely along the trail and showing us the beautiful views.

Here is the video that Connie @Stumblebunny put together of the run…enjoy.

Additionally, Aaron started a separate thread so those on the run can post pics at this LINK.

See you all at the next meeting on April 10th.

Reactions: Nataqua

Chris Pyle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Incline Village, NV
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7ECH
I've got a set of lightly used Fox 2.0 shocks (0-2" lift) for the JK/JKU for sale for $150. Bought em new for $520 in 2016. Never abused, no leaks or damage. Replaced with longer model of the same thing with my MetalCloak lift install. I'm planning on attending the Wed meeting if anyone is interested, otherwise I'll post them for sale across bigger groups. Also, I've got my original 2009 JKU driveshafts available for free if anyone wants them. Cheers! Chris

Nataqua

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

NV, USA
First Name
Solifuge
Last Name
Nexus
Member #

I've got a set of lightly used Fox 2.0 shocks (0-2" lift) for the JK/JKU for sale for $150. Bought em new for $520 in 2016. Never abused, no leaks or damage. Replaced with longer model of the same thing with my MetalCloak lift install. I'm planning on attending the Wed meeting if anyone is interested, otherwise I'll post them for sale across bigger groups. Also, I've got my original 2009 JKU driveshafts available for free if anyone wants them. Cheers! Chris

View attachment 92246View attachment 92247
Hi Chris, I'm interested in the shocks and I should be able to make it to the meeting. It looks like these are the anodized aluminum body, nitrogen charged model, is that correct?

Last edited:

Chris Pyle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Incline Village, NV
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7ECH
Hi Chris, I'm interested in the shocks and I should be able to make it to the meeting. It looks like these are the anodized aluminum body, nitrogen charged model, is that correct?
Two of them are "Fox Racing 98524028 Shock Absorber" and two are "Fox Racing 98524027 Shock Absorber". The description for both reads:

"Performance Tuned For Vehicle Specific Application. Durable Powder Coated Seamless Alloy Body. IFP Separates Oil From High-Pressure Nitrogen Gas. Black Anodized CNC Machined Aluminum Components. 100% Serviceable And Tunable For Longer Lifespan. Teflon-Lined Heat-Treated Spherical Bearings. Redundant Sealing System/Long Lasting Performance."

I'd be happy to bring them down to the meetup if you want to take a look at them :)

Chris

Nataqua

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

NV, USA
First Name
Solifuge
Last Name
Nexus
Member #

Two of them are "Fox Racing 98524028 Shock Absorber" and two are "Fox Racing 98524027 Shock Absorber". The description for both reads:

"Performance Tuned For Vehicle Specific Application. Durable Powder Coated Seamless Alloy Body. IFP Separates Oil From High-Pressure Nitrogen Gas. Black Anodized CNC Machined Aluminum Components. 100% Serviceable And Tunable For Longer Lifespan. Teflon-Lined Heat-Treated Spherical Bearings. Redundant Sealing System/Long Lasting Performance."

I'd be happy to bring them down to the meetup if you want to take a look at them :)

Chris
Thanks for the reply and info, Chris. Yes, please do bring them to the meeting, I would like to take a look at them. :sunglasses:

Pizza_Cutters

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hello,

I am interested making my way out to Sand Mountain early summer to do some camping and playing in the sand dunes. Any expert advice aside from airing down, traction boards, and having the usual sand flag? Of course anyone here would be welcome to join Once I find out the specifics.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Three days until our monthly meeting. See you there.

Here's a bit of the Agenda for this meeting
  • Introductions
  • Day Runs and Overnighters
    • Getting unstuck - Aaron
    • Virginia Trail Run – who wants to pre run it?
    • Summer Overnighter (Scott)
  • Meeting Schedule
    • Tonight’s Rig TalkDif Breathers – Scott
    • May 8th - Compressor vs. CO2
  • Setting up an OB Rally Point
  • Q&A and Suggestions
  • Adjourn

Pizza_Cutters

Rank 0

Contributor I

Three days until our monthly meeting. See you there.

Here's a bit of the Agenda for this meeting
  • Introductions
  • Day Runs and Overnighters
    • Getting unstuck - Aaron
    • Virginia Trail Run – who wants to pre run it?
    • Summer Overnighter (Scott)
  • Meeting Schedule
    • Tonight’s Rig TalkDif Breathers – Scott
    • May 8th - Compressor vs. CO2
  • Setting up an OB Rally Point
  • Q&A and Suggestions
  • Adjourn
Won’t be able to make this particular meeting but looking forward to meeting other enthusiasts!

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

WJeeper

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

I will be there.

Incase not everyone is aware, we have a local facebook page also. Could use some activity. Post your rig pics, trip pictures, questions, for sale, etc.

Stop in and say hi.

tjk775

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reno, NV
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
K
Member #

I will be there.

Incase not everyone is aware, we have a local facebook page also. Could use some activity. Post your rig pics, trip pictures, questions, for sale, etc.

Stop in and say hi.
See everyone in a few

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
New Logo.jpg Reno Overlanding April 10, 2018 Meeting Minutes

Introductions

Scott opened the meeting and Introductions were made by each of the 27 Participants. We welcome all the new participants. It was great to see everyone there along with one of the OB West Regions member rep, Mike ( @Magic Mike on OB).
Day Runs and Overnighters

Scott called on Aaron to review the Getting Unstuck outing on May 5th off Pyramid Hwy at a special sandy area. An OB Rally Point will be posted with directions and times. The goal of the outing will to recover a vehicle that is stuck in several fashions--by means of a winch, maxtraks, or the fun way, just digging it free. Make sure you bring what recovery gear you have available.

Aaron will head up the Virginia Trail run and a Rally Point will come soon after the pre run.
Bill and Marc will work on Ichthyosaur Park Overnighter and Scott will be booking the Summer Overnighter in a couple more days when reservations are open. Stay tuned for more on both of these.

Tonight’s Rig TalkDif Breathers - Scott

Scott brought up the following points regarding Differential Breathers (Dif Breathers).​

1. Normal use – air inside the axle heats up and expands increasing pressure which needs to be vented. If not vented, the weakest seal will be forced to leak and release the higher pressure thus blowing out a seal.​

a. Additionally, as axles cool down the air inside contracts and creates a vacuum and with no vent the weakest seal will allow air inside the axle. If it is cooled in a water crossing it is possible that water will get sucked in.​

2. With the type of trails and water crossings we experience, OEM dif vents can clog from mud and dirt. With no proper venting the weakest seal can allow air or water in the axle.​
3. Usually, the vent is attached directly to the axle so going through mud puddles and water which could allow what you don’t want in your axles, in.​
4. Dif Breather kits allows you to extend the breather above the water/mud puddle line so the axles are bringing in fresh and filtered air opposed to anything that shouldn’t be there.​
5. Each vehicle is different so check with the manufacturer to see what they have outfitted your rig with and what action you can take to abate anything adverse happening on the trail.​

Meeting Schedule
  • May 8th - Compressor vs. CO2 – Lance
* Added to this review will be the Bare Minimum needed on a Run
  • June 12th - Meals and Prep – Connie, Denise, Mari
  • July 10th - Survivor Skills - TBD
  • Trail Sponsor - BLM
Setting up an OB Rally Point

Bill demonstrated how to set up an OB Rally Point. Unfortunately, the net access that night was spotty, and the rally point couldn’t be completed for the May 5th Getting UnStuck. Bill will set it up this weekend.​

Q&A and Suggestions

It was suggested that a talk on what is the Bare Minimum that should be taken on a run. This will be added to the Compressor vs. CO2 talk for next month.​

Adjourn

Scott adjourned the meeting, and everyone went outside and talked and showed off their rig mods for the next hour.​

Last edited:

Nataqua

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

NV, USA
First Name
Solifuge
Last Name
Nexus
Member #

View attachment 93313 Reno Overlanding April 10, 2018 Meeting Minutes

Introductions

Scott opened the meeting and Introductions were made by each of the 27 Participants. We welcome all the new participants. It was great to see everyone there along with one of the OB West Regions member rep, Mike ( @Magic Mike on OB).
Day Runs and Overnighters

Scott called on Aaron to review the Getting Unstuck outing on May 5th off Pyramid Hwy at a special sandy area. An OB Rally Point will be posted with directions and times. The goal of the outing will to recover a vehicle that is stuck in several fashions--by means of a winch, maxtraks, or the fun way, just digging it free. Make sure you bring what recovery gear you have available.

Aaron will head up the Virginia Trail run and a Rally Point will come soon after the pre run.
Bill and Marc will work on Ichthyosaur Park Overnighter and Scott will be booking the Summer Overnighter in a couple more days when reservations are open. Stay tuned for more on both of these.

Tonight’s Rig TalkDif Breathers - Scott

Scott brought up the following points regarding Differential Breathers (Dif Breathers).​

1. Normal use – air inside the axle heats up and expands increasing pressure which needs to be vented. If not vented, the weakest seal will be forced to leak and release the higher pressure thus blowing out a seal.​

a. Additionally, as axles cool down the air inside contracts and creates a vacuum and with no vent the weakest seal will allow air inside the axle. If it is cooled in a water crossing it is possible that water will get sucked in.​

2. With the type of trails and water crossings we experience, OEM dif vents can clog from mud and dirt. With no proper venting the weakest seal can allow air or water in the axle.​
3. Usually, the vent is attached directly to the axle so going through mud puddles and water which could allow what you don’t want in your axles, in.​
4. Dif Breather kits allows you to extend the breather above the water/mud puddle line so the axles are bringing in fresh and filtered air opposed to anything that shouldn’t be there.​
5. Each vehicle is different so check with the manufacturer to see what they have outfitted your rig with and what action you can take to abate anything adverse happening on the trail.​

Meeting Schedule
  • May 8th - Compressor vs. CO2 – Lance
* Added to this review will be the Bare Minimum needed on a Run
  • June 12th - Meals and Prep – Connie, Denise, Mari
  • July 10th - Survivor Skills - TBD
  • Trail Sponsor - BLM
Setting up an OB Rally Point

Bill demonstrated how to set up an OB Rally Point. Unfortunately, the net access that night was spotty, and the rally point couldn’t be completed for the May 5th Getting UnStuck. Bill will set it up this weekend.​

Q&A and Suggestions

It was suggested that a talk on what is the Bare Minimum that should be taken on a run. This will be added to the Compressor vs. CO2 talk for next month.​

Adjourn

Scott adjourned the meeting, and everyone went outside and talked and showed off their rig mods for the next hour.​
I enjoyed the meeting, the presentations and the aftermeeting! Y'all look to be a fine bunch of folks, with great combined smarts and good attitudes. And nice rigs!

It's possible I can be available to pre run the Virginia trail, so Aaron, let me know when you think you'll be running that.

Thanks all, looking forward to May 5th!

Linda

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I enjoyed the meeting, the presentations and the aftermeeting! Y'all look to be a fine bunch of folks, with great combined smarts and good attitudes. And nice rigs!

It's possible I can be available to pre run the Virginia trail, so Aaron, let me know when you think you'll be running that.

Thanks all, looking forward to May 5th!

Linda
Linda,

I think Aaron is looking at doing the preRun tomorrow. Go to the Facebook Page and message him on the meeting time. I think Mark may be going also.

Bill

PS And it was good to meet you. look forward to seeing Nataqua on the trails with us.