Greg
Last Name
Hutchings
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DEM
Service Branch
Air Force
I'm interested in what you guys decide, maybe I can come up and join you all. I'm a new member down in Carson Valley.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Just signed up for the forums today after seeing a "Gizzard Stone" video. My name is Jeff and I'm from Reno, NV. I would be up for the late August meet up. I like to take in the Hot August Nights events in early August. Cheers all.
AWESOME!!!

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

looks like late August is winning. If that's when it happens I won't be able to make it, as I'm moving the family up from so cal that weekend... but have a blast!

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Well it looks like late August wins. Does anyone have anywhere in specific they would like to go? There are a ton of options around here so let's hear some suggestions!

Reactions: renodemona

renodemona

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TCT
Never done Hunter Lake, I'd be down. Or Genoa Peak up by Tahoe. I'd try and avoid Pyramid or east as BM starts coming in and Susan will crush burners.

Reactions: DaveD

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Or Old Como Road and Ft. Churchill, that looked like a cool area.

Ran Old Como Road back in early June this year. VERY slow going after the winter we just had. Lots of washouts and exposed ledges and cantaloupe sized boulders for a stretch. It's still very doable, just be in the mindset to take your time and go slow.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Never done Hunter Lake, I'd be down. Or Genoa Peak up by Tahoe. I'd try and avoid Pyramid or east as BM starts coming in and Susan will crush burners.
Genoa peak would be a really fun day trip. We could also go check out Blackwood canyon on the west shore of Tahoe or Twin peaks in south lake. The only issue is you can't camp

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Ran Old Como Road back in early June this year. VERY slow going after the winter we just had. Lots of washouts and exposed ledges and cantaloupe sized boulders for a stretch. It's still very doable, just be in the mindset to take your time and go slow.
Thats how old como always is lol.

Reactions: Wolfy

29er

Rank 0

Traveler I

Reno
Has anybody done any exploring over the Sweetwater range near Bridgeport?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Hi All, want to point out that Burning Man happens from August 27 to Sept 4. Most of 70K will be passing through Reno on the way to Back Rock desert. Just around the corner from Gerlach on the Playa. Early arrival happens the week before, and most of the City gets built that week, so still thousands of people showing up.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Hi All, want to point out that Burning Man happens from August 27 to Sept 4. Most of 70K will be passing through Reno on the way to Back Rock desert. Just around the corner from Gerlach on the Playa. Early arrival happens the week before, and most of the City gets built that week, so still thousands of people showing up.
Definitely avoid going north of Reno. Shouldn't affect getting here or anywhere else other than the Playa and Whole Foods.

-M

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Has anybody done any exploring over the Sweetwater range near Bridgeport?

Yeah....just ran the old Stage Coach trail up to Belfort on Mt. Wheeler in the Sweetwater range. Was a great time!! incredible scenery. Trail past Belfort was blocked by snow drifts but that was back around July 4th when I ran it....may be clear by now not sure?

IMG_3632a.jpg IMG_3646.JPG IMG_3638.JPG IMG_3653a.jpg

Reactions: DaveD

29er

Rank 0

Traveler I

Reno
Yeah....just ran the old Stage Coach trail up to Belfort on Mt. Wheeler in the Sweetwater range. Was a great time!! incredible scenery. Trail past Belfort was blocked by snow drifts but that was back around July 4th when I ran it....may be clear by now not sure?

View attachment 31990 View attachment 31991 View attachment 31992 View attachment 31993
That looks a great place to get away to explore and camp. Thanks for sharing! I will go and check it out!

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

That looks a great place to get away to explore and camp. Thanks for sharing! I will go and check it out!

No problem. I was always keep going back to this place because the roads to explore are endless....and the vistas just are breathtaking. Lots of opportunities for dispersed camping too....definitely get up there when you can. Dont forget to explore the Masonic mountains as well just to the east of Bridgeport. Lots of ghost towns and trails to explore.

A local stopped me on the trail and mentioned that Burcham Flat Road is also another great road to take in to explore the Sweetwater mountains. He said you can get to Belfort from that direction as well although I did not verify that on the map. But he said the views from that way are amazing and there is a beautiful lake up there as well called Lobdell lake that is a must see. I am going to check this out next summer.

Enjoy your trip.....and post up some pics if you make it out there.