REI and Overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

redneckcrawler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Haughton, LA
To me it's very simple. If you, as a company, actively support a group that is trying to restrict my rights, I will do my best not to spend money at your business. When Dick's stopped selling ar-15 style rifles, I thought it was dumb but didn't really care because they have good prices on fishing equipment. When they hired an anti-gun lobby to help push gun control, that's when I took it personal. Same with the Sierra Club. I do my absolute best not to buy products from companies or stores that support them because they don't support us in the 4x4 community. The Sierra Club actively fights to shut down all access for 4x4s and other offroad vehicles. It's bad enough we have to fight the government to enjoy our hobby, I don't understand why people support others who want to kill our sport

I try, but don't always succeed, to spend my money at smaller, American owned businesses and American made products. If a better product can be had from somewhere else, so be it. Hell, I drive a 4Runner which is actually made in Japan. Just be a good steward to the land, pay attention to land use issues in your area, and support those who support us.

Whiteknuckler

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, Ca.
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VBG
REI was great years ago, now like many it is too political, they work against their own customers by supporting Sierra, and the Camelback thing was pure stupid.

I still go to their store 1-2 month, but only to physically evaluate something I will go buy on-line elsewhere.
Yes - the Camelback issue is completely stupid (politics)

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I agree with the posts above. If you look at the history of REI and the EARLY-sierra club, they were founded by people who just wanted to protect the outdoors for future generations. However, during the subsequent decades, the far left-liberals managed to get themselves into positions of power, and changed the overall direction of these clubs/organizations. They are now more politically biased and push agendas that only favor young and very healthy people that can hike in the back country for days or weeks. For those of us that are older or have health issues that limit hiking.....'sorry-too bad' . If you want or need a motor vehicle to access the outdoors, so a elitist bent becomes the accepted and your a 'person-non-Grata' individual if you disagree..

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Gear manufacturers, retail outlets, and internet providers should stay neutral on all political issues. Period. I don't want to know how much you care or feel about an issue (virtue signalling), spend your time making a great product at a fair price. The minute their politics are rammed in my face is the moment that me and my money walk. Plenty of great companies out there that DO NOT POLITIC.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Jeff Zuptich

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've been a member of REI for decades and got the same call one day. I was asked why my spending habits had changed and was honest with them. First many things I've purchased from are high quality, including their house brand, and have not needed replacing. Second, was pricing even with the dividend they were still more than some of their competitors. Finally, the fact that they do not sell any products that provide financial assistance to our public lands and water ways. While I may not agree with Cabelas Political stance I'm a strong supporter of Pittman-Robertson and Dingell-Johnson Acts. and prefer to spend my money to business that carry products impacted by them.

Recently I was in REI and then Bass Pro wearing a T-Shirt with the simple statement "Keep Public Lands in Public Hands" on it. Comments were made in both stores by employees and customers. In REI it was like cool shirt, were did you get it, in Bass Pro was entirely different and they knew exactly what it was about, commenting on how they are under attack. The point of this is we need to quite discussing political parties and all unite to fight the attack on our public lands. Many from the western states like Colorado will tell you how transferring Federal Public Lands to the States is a bad idea for recreational access including overlanding, lands will be sold to private interest and gates will be locked.
REI does sell products that help public lands and waterways. United By Blue is one, for every $1 or $10 (I can’t remember) they clean up a mile of a river. That’s in a nutshell anyway. I shop at all 3 of those stores. I’ve been an REI member since a lifetime membership was $50 & a year was $20. I am also from MO and I’ve been going to the OG Bass Pro Shop since I was a child. Just saying, if you want to spend money with Earthconscious companies then I want you to find every one and spend. Reps & dems drink the same water and breath the same air.

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Funny. I almost bought a Skyrise 3 from them last weekend at the REI garage sale. If they sell the gear I'm assuming they're not too down on the activity itself.

I find good gear and good prices if you shop the specials and pay attention for sales. Their Flash Pad sleeping pad is about the only one I find comfortable. The store I general shop at has some of the best staff of any outdoors store. They're active, capable and willing to help with pointers, places of interest or gear suggestions that don't break the bank. In additional their one year no questions asked return policy has saved me a time or two on gear that just didn't work for me, like my 3 backpacking sleep systems I had to try before finding something I could sleep on.

I like 'em. However your mileage may vary.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Funny. I almost bought a Skyrise 3 from them last weekend at the REI garage sale. If they sell the gear I'm assuming they're not too down on the activity itself.

I find good gear and good prices if you shop the specials and pay attention for sales. Their Flash Pad sleeping pad is about the only one I find comfortable. The store I general shop at has some of the best staff of any outdoors store. They're active, capable and willing to help with pointers, places of interest or gear suggestions that don't break the bank. In additional their one year no questions asked return policy has saved me a time or two on gear that just didn't work for me, like my 3 backpacking sleep systems I had to try before finding something I could sleep on.

I like 'em. However your mileage may vary.
It is not so much the gear they sell, it is as the OP and i mentioned. The intent was that people feel marginalized if they do vehicle camping for one, by some store employees. I have read about customers getting the cold shoulder or at least a look of disapproval, when they mention car camping. The reason might be that it is not considered to be pure camping? This is not a blanket condemnation, just a reported condition. Since this is a vehicle specific web--site, it should be kept in mind. I imagine peoples experience will vary by store or more likely region. Younger, more idealistic employees are more likely to go down this road.....my opinion.

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

It is not so much the gear they sell, it is as the OP and i mentioned. The intent was that people feel marginalized if they do vehicle camping for one, by some store employees. I have read about customers getting the cold shoulder or at least a look of disapproval, when they mention car camping. The reason might be that it is not considered to be pure camping? This is not a blanket condemnation, just a reported condition. Since this is a vehicle specific web--site, it should be kept in mind. I imagine peoples experience will vary by store or more likely region. Younger, more idealistic employees are more likely to go down this road.....my opinion.
I understand your point. I'm just articulating that hasn't been my experience in Boca Park. Even when talking with them about that Skyrise 3 they were pretty excited to get feedback about it.

As I said: your mileage may vary.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I understand your point. I'm just articulating that hasn't been my experience in Boca Park. Even when talking with them about that Skyrise 3 they were pretty excited to get feedback about it.

As I said: your mileage may vary.
I didn't know about the Boca Park location( Charleston/Ft Apache-correct?), just the Henderson one. I haven't been in it since last year checking on a water purifier.

Reactions: Gryf

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

I've never had a problem with REI and do a bit of shopping at their monthly garage sales, online only buys, and outlet stores. Return policy is great, pricing is fair, staff has always been knowledgable and enthusiastic.

Someone previously mentioned their campaign for plus sized women not getting into National Parks. Clearly you didn't look too closely into the campaign – it was specifically about designing and selling plus sized women's hiking clothing. They've also done similar campaigns on hispanic and other minority ethnic outdoor leaders and groups.

Lastly, as someone 6'7" tall, slim, and with big feet, my local REI store has worked with me to stock or special order size 15 boots and 36" inseam pants.

redneckcrawler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Haughton, LA
Some people aren't getting the point of the thread. No one is saying REI doesn't have good customer service or quality products. What we are unhappy with is the fact that REI donates money to the Sierra Club. The Sierra club is very active in trying to close trails to off road vehicles, be it full size, atv, and others. They don't want us out there with them.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Some people aren't getting the point of the thread. No one is saying REI doesn't have good customer service or quality products. What we are unhappy with is the fact that REI donates money to the Sierra Club. The Sierra club is very active in trying to close trails to off road vehicles, be it full size, atv, and others. They don't want us out there with them.
THIS....YOU NAILED IT EXACTLY

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Fair cop on the point of this thread. I certainly can't speak for their political position on overlanding based on what I get at the store level. I know their fascination is with human powered locomotion.

Quite frankly I didn't even ponder it from a corporate POV and do not know enough of the politics to even ponder their position.

Reactions: DesertFox