REI and Overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Does anyone know the position of REI and there views on overlanding?

I got a email from REI today to do a survey on why I haven't shopped there in over a year. I said in the survey what I thought. They asked what outdoor activities do I do, there was a list of about 30-40 activities to pick from. Missing from the list was Overlanding, off-roading of any kind moto, side by side, 4X4, shooting.

I have been getting tired of all their political stuff for a few years now, They had a campaign for women being discriminated in the outdoors. REALLY? When has a woman been turned away from a national park? The last straw for me was when they quit selling Camelback because their parent company also owned companies that manufacture guns and ammo.

REI also gives tons of money to the Sierra Club. The Sierra Club actively works to close areas to activities like off-roading, overlanding, pretty much any back country activity. They will not be happy until all public land is wilderness with no human activity allowed.

Why would I give my money to a company that then gives that money to groups that want to that away the activities that I like.

By the way I have been a REI member for over 45 years.

Any thoughts on this?

Todd

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Does anyone know the position of REI and there views on overlanding?
By the way I have been a REI member for over 45 years.

Any thoughts on this?

Todd
Todd,
I too have been an active REI member for over 45+ years. Today's REI, isn't the Co-op that I joined - so many years ago. But the reality 45 years ago, Blue Ribbon, and leave no trace didn't exist. In my teens, I was a hiker, serious backpacker, fly-fisher, rockclimber, camper, etc. The 1972 FJ40 took use to Trout streams, trail heads, campgrounds, etc, etc... Yeah - it was overlanding, but the purpose of the vehicle was to get us there. The activity is why we needed to be there.

The REI Board of Directors - are no longer guys like me. They are Rich, Privileged, White males - who have never, floated a raft on the Boise, Payette, Salmon. Riden a Mtn Bike in the Sawtooths, Tetons, Bitterroots, etc. I'll bet none of them have hiked 50 miles, flyfished the Madison.

Since I owned 4 tents, that my wife doesn't want to sleep in, we do a lot on Glamping, but we at least GET OUT! I don't need to buy new stuff, and fancy pant's, special shirts, or some-other branded material. I am happy in a ratted, holey, well-worn Sweatshirt.
Nuf said.

Gibbs - Boise, ID

Last edited:

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I stopped shopping at REI a few years back when they started getting too damn political in their advertising and social media. Sell me a flashlight, but keep your views to yourself (they were bashing the current administration on some sort of global ecosystem agreement, I don't even know or care about it.)

I used to feel that REI was a great shop, but now, when I look at their prices compared to any other sporting goods store, they are always 15-30% higher. That's not worth my dividends or whatever they call it each year to shop there. I even get a discount at REI through our local Search and Rescue Team and it's still not competitive pricing to local stores, Big 5, Sportsman's Warehouse, and hell, Walmart.

They will probably never see another dime from me....

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Good point on the board of directors, some years ago they passed that to be on the BOD you had to be nominated by a member of the BOD. That way they can keep likeminded people on the board. They also capped the dividend at 10% per year.

I hear you on the glamping, we are building a teardrop that should go most places we want to go.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I don't eat at Chick-fil-a for similar reasons. I don't agree with their religious/political stance. I think it's great that we have so many choices and can spend our money with businesses that share our worldviews and avoid those that don't. So I'll continue to shop at REI when the prices and products work for me. :)

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I have a feeling Overlanding wasn't included in the survey because they cater to activities where you are physically active. That said, they sell gear like rooftop tents so I think they support it as a means to getting yourself to those activities, which fits where Overlanding (what I used to call off-road travel) falls for me as well so I'll keep shopping there when I need something.

But really, how often to you need to upgrade quality outdoor gear? Whenever I get one of those surveys I make sure to point out I have most everything I need at this point in my life.

S

SubeeBen

Overlanding /off-roading is probably to harsh on the environment in REI’S thoughts. I am a Overlander/offroader/hunter . Use to support Sierra club & other similar organizations until I found out who was responsible for shutting down & locking the once opened gates in eastern San Diego, Ca. Where we use to be able to do primitive camping / off-roading / hunting. It’s unfortunate It gets to this point. Didn’t mean to vent just my 2 cents. By the way no longer shop @ REI. ✌

CCTX50

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi TEXAS
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Strasheim
Member #

I shop at REI and have done so for years. In my opinion they support overlanding to a point just as much as Dicks or Academy or other sporting goods stores. They all sell camping gear, first aid, and other specialty items.

I don't spend a ton of money there but I do buy from time to time.

We all have our own religious and political views. I take into consideration these views when shopping but it does not keep me totally away.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have been an REI member for several decades, but I don't have much use for them anymore.

The REI Board of Directors - are no longer guys like me. They are Rich, Privileged, White males -
Actually, I think it is rich, privileged, white females anymore.

I am raising young men, and REI has made it pretty clear they don't give a tinker's curse for what I am doing.

Cabela's makes more sense for me.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I have so many thoughts, most of which would probably lead to internet slap fights, so I'll keep it brief: When we say, "I just wish they'd keep politics out of it", what we usually mean is, "I wish they'd keep politics that I disagree with out of it" We should at least be honest about that...

I'm a member and I still shop there from time to time. I like my dividend, I usually get solid service, and they still have a great return policy. Their prices are high, but there are good deals to be had via sales, the Garage, etc... As it happens, I also tend to find myself aligned with their views, which I believe are informed by a long-term, science based view of our ever changing and increasingly crowded planet. Sure, it sucks to find a gate on a trail you used to enjoy as a kid, but things change; I try to take a wider view in those situations, cuz it ain't just about ME. I've also been stopped by far more timber company gates in my life than "Sierra Club & REI Join Forces To Ruin Your Good Time In Order To Protect the Sage Grouse" gates, so there's that.

And since it came up for some reason, I also believe encouraging women to enjoy & engage with the outdoors is a worthy and incredibly reasonable endeavor. To pretend that the outdoor industry has given equal attention to the wants/needs of women is absurd, and it goes beyond slapping pink realtree on a shirt and calling it good. ... I really fail to see how that's a threat to young men...

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
REI was great years ago, now like many it is too political, they work against their own customers by supporting Sierra, and the Camelback thing was pure stupid.

I still go to their store 1-2 month, but only to physically evaluate something I will go buy on-line elsewhere.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
I have so many thoughts, most of which would probably lead to internet slap fights, so I'll keep it brief: When we say, "I just wish they'd keep politics out of it", what we usually mean is, "I wish they'd keep politics that I disagree with out of it" We should at least be honest about that...
No. I do not want politics of any kind. No matter what side you take, ~50% of your customers disagree with you. It is plain stupid to take political positions. In fact, politics I agree with is often worse, as places I might like suddenly get protested, etc.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I totally agree with everyone's point of view here and probably would have made a post similar to this.
Like everyone else who posted here, I have been going to REI for decades. As much as I dislike their politics I love their specialty clothing. I also use them to go look at gear that I can buy online for less money. When I do shop there, it's when they put things on sale, winter gear at the end of spring, summer gear when its cold...
When I was younger I would boycott places because I didn't believe their views and missed out some some good things. Unfortunately they will not change their views no matter how many of us stop going there. Were not really their target demographic. Fortunately for us we now have somewhere to shop we didn't have years ago. The internet.

Scott

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I don’t really know how to label my politics. I’m left-wing/progressive/liberal, I carry a gun, I consider myself an environmentalist but I’m not anti-logging, I love to “off road,” (but I rigorously stick to established roads), I have season tickets to live theater and I love action movies, my political affiliation on my voter registration is “Decline to state,” I voted for Obama twice but didn’t vote for Hillary or Trump, and I consider myself a strong supporter of human rights who is typing this missive on a phone built by slave labor in China.

If you know of a place to shop that reflects my politics I’m all ears.

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I don’t really know how to label my politics. I’m left-wing/progressive/liberal, I carry a gun, I consider myself an environmentalist but I’m not anti-logging, I love to “off road,” (but I rigorously stick to established roads), I have season tickets to live theater and I love action movies, my political affiliation on my voter registration is “Decline to state,” I voted for Obama twice but didn’t vote for Hillary or Trump, and I consider myself a strong supporter of human rights who is typing this missive on a phone built by slave labor in China.

If you know of a place to shop that reflects my politics I’m all ears.
This is a great post that reveals how messed up the world is today.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Politics today are laughable, cuz if you dont laugh youll cry. I pay no attention to any media political hype cuz im convinced its all theatre. The real powers that be are not elected into office anyway......
Ill stop there.
Sorry slave kids in China, this wasnt my idea.

scoyoc

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Moab, UT
I've been thinking about posting in this thread for a few days now. I originally found the tone of this one somewhat off-putting.

IMO, Cabela's is just as political as REI. The last time I went into a Cabela's to look for a cooler and tent the receptionist started me down and kept a sharp eye on me until I left the store. I was with my family; wife, a toddler and holding a baby. I think he saw me in my Chaos and Life is Good tshirts and pegged me as a hippie. It was pretty uncomfortable and I haven't gone back since.

10 (maybe 5) years ago I fit in at Cabela's just fine. I don't carry a handgun, but I do have a 30-06 mauser my grandpa got during WWII that has a German military stamp on the stock. I've bagged my share of deer, elk, and antelope, have a quiver of fly rods, own a 4x4, etc...

I also get funny looks at REI when I pull up in my Xterra Pro-4X, so...

I guess my point is, we all vote with our dollars as much as we vote at the poles. I agree with Billy, 'when we say "I just wish they'd keep politics out of it", what we usually mean is, "I wish they'd keep politics that I disagree with out of it".'

I choose to shop at REI; I feel that their values align closer to mine than Cabela's values.

Jahmi

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've been a member of REI for decades and got the same call one day. I was asked why my spending habits had changed and was honest with them. First many things I've purchased from are high quality, including their house brand, and have not needed replacing. Second, was pricing even with the dividend they were still more than some of their competitors. Finally, the fact that they do not sell any products that provide financial assistance to our public lands and water ways. While I may not agree with Cabelas Political stance I'm a strong supporter of Pittman-Robertson and Dingell-Johnson Acts. and prefer to spend my money to business that carry products impacted by them.

Recently I was in REI and then Bass Pro wearing a T-Shirt with the simple statement "Keep Public Lands in Public Hands" on it. Comments were made in both stores by employees and customers. In REI it was like cool shirt, were did you get it, in Bass Pro was entirely different and they knew exactly what it was about, commenting on how they are under attack. The point of this is we need to quite discussing political parties and all unite to fight the attack on our public lands. Many from the western states like Colorado will tell you how transferring Federal Public Lands to the States is a bad idea for recreational access including overlanding, lands will be sold to private interest and gates will be locked.