Refurbishing a cheap Disco 1

• HTML tutorial

Hefty Smurf

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I’m thinking of purchasing a Disco but there may be an issue with the transmission. I found this thread and thought you guys might have some advise. When trying to shift into 4L or 4H there is NO resistance at all. The shifter moves so easily a toddler could do it. Thoughts? I know nothing about these except that I love the looks, capabilities, and am willing to learn. Thanks!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I’m thinking of purchasing a Disco but there may be an issue with the transmission. I found this thread and thought you guys might have some advise. When trying to shift into 4L or 4H there is NO resistance at all. The shifter moves so easily a toddler could do it. Thoughts? I know nothing about these except that I love the looks, capabilities, and am willing to learn. Thanks!
Sounds like the shift lever has come loose or been disconnected. Fixable I'm sure. Someone here in the forums will have an answer for you. Sorry I cant.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Need to know more about the shift issue, was the engine running and the box warm? If so it can slide in and out of low range with remarkable ease if the cogs are aligned on the gears. Mine gives a touch more resistance when I have it locked, but that’s the nature of these transfer cases.

The season is nearly upon us, took a few min this morning to install my rifle rack. Can’t have a nice gun flopping around on the back seat. The way the rack nestled into the rise in the roof, and the divots in the roof support made it seem right at home. Handy to hold an umbrella as well.

Attachments

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Need to know more about the shift issue, was the engine running and the box warm? If so it can slide in and out of low range with remarkable ease if the cogs are aligned on the gears. Mine gives a touch more resistance when I have it locked, but that’s the nature of these transfer cases.

The season is nearly upon us, took a few min this morning to install my rifle rack. Can’t have a nice gun flopping around on the back seat. The way the rack nestled into the rise in the roof, and the divots in the roof support made it seem right at home. Handy to hold an umbrella as well.
@Beretta4x4 has the same rack in his taco. Nice hardware.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Who makes the rack. Would it still work if you had upholstery ?

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

what cal is that tho? :tearsofjoy:

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Who makes the rack. Would it still work if you had upholstery ?
The rack is a Big Sky Rack model “SB1” iirc.

The idea is to mount everything where I want it then remove all the stuff and reinstall insulation and a factory headliner with modifications as needed. Still have to wire radios, lights, and control hardware before that step.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparksalot

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

[QUOTE="EXPO_D1, post: 498775,member 17468]
what cal is that tho? :tearsofjoy:[/QUOTE]

The umbrella is more of a non-lethal option for the errant protester that refuses to back off.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The rack is a Big Sky Rack model “SB1” iirc.

The idea is to mount everything where I want it then remove all the stuff and reinstall insulation and a factory headliner with modifications as needed. Still have to wire radios, lights, and control hardware before that step.
Gotcha, I'm holding off on a lot of lighting and solar-second battery wiring because I dont know where to put them. Hoping someday to
See how others have done it neatly.

Reactions: systemdelete

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Continuing the rear cargo modifications, today I mounted the first upper cargo mount. For now they will hold strollers upright to free up room in the rear from day to day. I planned the locations out very carefully to support using them for future cargo shelf/cargo net options in the rear.

Attachments

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Sometimes it’s small things you notice that can make a vehicle more reliable. Got a rotate and balance last month, didn’t think anything about it until I tried to remove a wheel this afternoon. Turns out the shop I used had used a 12 point socket on an impact that deformed my lug nut covers. Not a huge deal in my shop well equipped with tools, but had I had a flat before I noticed I wouldn’t have been able to remove the wheel on the side of the road with my lug wrench I keep in the rover. So I removed the covers, being all about function over form I could care less what they look like, I just want a simple reliable way to take the wheels on and off.

Attachments

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

Hey everyone.
Quick question, I have a 96 D1 and I'm working on the CV axel swivel housing joint seals. Housings were dry and causing the CV to bind while turning. Lots of websites go back and forth on what lubricant to use. Should I use "one shot grease" or "90 wt. gear oil"?

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Hey everyone.
Quick question, I have a 96 D1 and I'm working on the CV axel swivel housing joint seals. Housings were dry and causing the CV to bind while turning. Lots of websites go back and forth on what lubricant to use. Should I use "one shot grease" or "90 wt. gear oil"?
Inside the swivel one shot grease, inside the tube/pumpkin 90w or so, wheel hub bearings use any grease rated for disk brakes or hi temp, can use some high temp marine axle grease if you plan to submerge axles often.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Just daily driving the rover for a few weeks while I prep it to head back to Ontario in October. Changed the oil, got the tires rotated and balanced, and started planning out some accessory outlets to install prior to the trip to power fans and iPads for the toddlers.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Well as usual small tasks tend to ballon, replacement of my catalyst after the attempted theft had left me with a minor exhaust leak. The next oil change I tried to “snug up” a loose collector bolt which of course turned it into a major exhaust leak. Rather than try an repair it under the truck I snatched off the manifold and went to work blowing out the broken studs with an acetylene torch so I could install new studs.

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: Sparksalot