Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Athens, GA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Doyle
Member #

255/80 Falken WildPeak AT3W's have been installed. Here are some comparison pictures vs stock size. I am running stock suspension and I do rub a little at full lock and going over bumps.

Stock
Untitled by redrunner87, on Flickr
255's
Stock
255's
Stock
255's
Stock
255's
Looking good! Hope you enjoy the wildpeaks, I sure do.

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Great build, enjoy watching you progress. I have a 2020 T4R in the same red, your build has given me some ideas. I am looking at the WildPeaks as well, had them on my Jeep GC and loved them.

RedRunner87

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Torres
Great build, enjoy watching you progress. I have a 2020 T4R in the same red, your build has given me some ideas. I am looking at the WildPeaks as well, had them on my Jeep GC and loved them.
So far they have been great. The "pizza cutters" are nice on the highway, doesn't seem like the 4Runner is struggling. I was hoping we would have gotten some snow on the group so I could test them, but we got just a light dusting. My slow and steady build. Need to start saving for the next step.

Reactions: Marman

RedRunner87

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Vince
Last Name
Torres
Rainbow Falls/Rampart Rd.

I went to a local Overland Bound Meet Up and a few of us decided to do a "quick" run through Rainbow Falls. This trail is mostly a fire road but had some decent snowfall on Thursday night.

The Group(minus the 5 lug Taco):

For the most part the trail was pretty easy but covered in snow. This was a good test for my new Pizza Cutter Falken Wildpeaks. They performed awesome and I had absolutely zero issues them. I aired them down to 20psi.

The turn around spot was an old Query

3 of us decided to continue to Rampart Road instead of taking the highway back into town. The others had to leave early for other obligations. We happened upon a pretty stuck XJ. The tires on this XJ were pretty bald, the winch barely worked and he ended up breaking the winch cable off the spool. I ended up having to get my recovery gear out and we had the guy with the 2nd Gen 4Runner pull him out.

After we got him unstuck we debating going up the hill. The two XJ's tore it up pretty good and exposed a ton of ice underneath the snow. We decided to let the 2nd Gen up first to gauge how bad the hill was. We all made it up with no issues at all.

Once we got onto Rampart Road this Ford CUV got stuck in the rut on the side of the road. He also didn't have very good tires either. It took us awhile to get him up and out of the rut on the side of the road. The "quick" run ended up taking 2-2.5 hours longer because of the recoveries.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Good to see the rig out on the trails. Even cooler to be out there and help other folks out of a jam.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I
Thanks! Trying to take her out as much as possible in stock form to see what I can do. Never leave someone behind, I believe recovery gear and tires are the biggest things when off-roading.
Agree 100%. Ohh snacks and proper clothing as well as a change of clothes are also important. It sucks trying to do snow recoveries when you're freezing. :)

I recommend bringing a chainsaw, a tall bottle jack or HiLift, traction boards and good gloves. In the event you can't winch for whatever reason and you are high centered you can jack up the vehicle and put cut timber under the tires to get yourself unstuck. Getting high centered happens a lot when snow wheeling. Trees fall across trails often enough that a chainsaw is quite handy. I carry my 40v Ryobi on most trips.

RedRunner87

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Vince
Last Name
Torres
I

Agree 100%. Ohh snacks and proper clothing as well as a change of clothes are also important. It sucks trying to do snow recoveries when you're freezing. :)

I recommend bringing a chainsaw, a tall bottle jack or HiLift, traction boards and good gloves. In the event you can't winch for whatever reason and you are high centered you can jack up the vehicle and put cut timber under the tires to get yourself unstuck. Getting high centered happens a lot when snow wheeling. Trees fall across trails often enough that a chainsaw is quite handy. I carry my 40v Ryobi on most trips.
I am still building up my recovery gear, but I do have: Hi-lift, traction boards, tow strap, tree saver, snatch block, receiver hitch shackle and shovel. I still need to get the winch kit for the hi lift.

Reactions: JCWages

RedRunner87

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Vince
Last Name
Torres
I went ahead and "dipped" my stock SR5 wheels bronze. I went with the dipyourcar kit since I had good luck with them the last time. I went with Graphite center caps as well.

Before:

Wheels all cleaned, bagged and tapped off:

Ran the "dip release" around the tire itself:

I did a last round of cleaning:

3 Coats in:

Moved the 4Runner to get better angles at the parts of the rim that were on the bottom:

I did about 6 coats:

Reactions: WilhelmB