Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We've been discussing a trail run in Dugger, Indiana this Spring or early Summer in another thread. I'm creating a new thread specifically for this meetup and trail run. The trail is moderate with a rating of 4-5 for difficulty. In other words, "easy" to "moderate". It's promoted as a beautiful scenic drive. Anyone and everyone is welcome. This is a great opportunity to get your rig on some off road trails and see what it can do. With a group, there is safety in numbers. Many of us should have recovery gear as well. I have a winch, straps, etc. But hopefully we won't need any of it.
I personally like more scenic drives, than technical drives.
Here is a link to the website for Redbird SRA. It's owned by the DNR and is an off road park. Here's a link to show you where it's located. http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/8333.htm. If you have a Jeep, register with Jeeps Badge of Honor, and you can earn trail points. https://www.jeep.com/en/badge-of-honor/#trail-detail/29. Of course, all vehicles are welcome to this meet up and trail run.

If your wanting to get out, make some new friends, chat about overlanding and do a trail run, this would be a great opportunity. We could look into local camp grounds and hotels around the area as well. If your interested, chime in on the conversation and let's get the ball rolling.

SteveR

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marion, Iowa
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Richmond
This sounds fun. Keep me informed. Good to know about the badge of honor. I have one and forgot to log another one while I was in TN.

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
This sounds fun. Keep me informed. Good to know about the badge of honor. I have one and forgot to log another one while I was in TN.
Definitely will. We're thinking mid to late June. I have an account with Badge of Honor, but have yet to hit any of the designated trails. We opted for this one since it's an easy to moderate trail. Should be doable for almost any vehicle.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Same here, I signed up but need to start hittin the trails. These easy to moderate trails I should be able to do in my poor stock WJ :( man I need my lift.
You shouldn't have any problem. The GC is a very capable vehicle right off the factory floor.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

If you guys do any Sunday I can more than likely make it. But, from April 1st to July 1st is blackout time at work, I work for John Deere and our busy season usually starts the 1st of April but this year it is already starting. So, from 4-1 to 7-1 I have no days off except Sundays. I work until 2 on Saturdays so if you camp I could drive down there on Saturday evening and then hit the trails on Sunday.

SteveR

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marion, Iowa
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Richmond
If a Sunday, then drive in on a Saturday and then head home late Sunday night or on Monday. I looked and it 5.5 hours from IC. I signed up for my Jeep Badge and took off for a trip to TN a couple of yrs ago. Once I got home I remember that I needed to sign in while I was there. I didn't get that badge. But got one in PA at Rausch Creek. I am going to a high school graduation at the end of May in the Black Hills and plan on taking the jeep and getting some time in out there too. But I am more like Shawn where it is the adventure and not how crazy I can get with the Jeep.

Has anyone heard of the TAT? I would like to take a few days and do part of that sometime soon... http://www.transamtrail.com/

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
If a Sunday, then drive in on a Saturday and then head home late Sunday night or on Monday. I looked and it 5.5 hours from IC. I signed up for my Jeep Badge and took off for a trip to TN a couple of yrs ago. Once I got home I remember that I needed to sign in while I was there. I didn't get that badge. But got one in PA at Rausch Creek. I am going to a high school graduation at the end of May in the Black Hills and plan on taking the jeep and getting some time in out there too. But I am more like Shawn where it is the adventure and not how crazy I can get with the Jeep.

Has anyone heard of the TAT? I would like to take a few days and do part of that sometime soon... http://www.transamtrail.com/
I've been reading about the TAT for a couple years now. But from my understanding, you have to keep updating the map because of road and trail closures. But it would be fun to take a week here and there and do sections of it. I've also been reading about the TWAT. It's the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail. So I think us Iowans need to create the TIT. That is, Trans Iowa Trail. But yah, I'm in it for the adventure and the journey. I couldn't spend my days in a rock park. I like to explore and see the scenery. And I'm all for off roading, but I'm not hard core. I just like to go places and see new things. Would be great if you could make it on this run. We need to solidify a weekend and start planning.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
If you guys do any Sunday I can more than likely make it. But, from April 1st to July 1st is blackout time at work, I work for John Deere and our busy season usually starts the 1st of April but this year it is already starting. So, from 4-1 to 7-1 I have no days off except Sundays. I work until 2 on Saturdays so if you camp I could drive down there on Saturday evening and then hit the trails on Sunday.
We'll put our thinking caps on and see what we can come up with. I think a run into Michigan this Fall would be cool too.

SteveR

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marion, Iowa
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Richmond
Actually the route through Iowa is called the TIT. Ha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advocate II

@jordanbrooks how far are you from Redbird? We could head out on Friday, do some wheeling and what not saturday and meet up with you for a run sunday morning?

Is the TIT completely across Iowa or just the eastern to central loop? I'd love to find a path across around and back.

Last edited:

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

@jordanbrooks how far are you from Redbird? We could head out on Friday, do some wheeling and what not saturday and meet up with you for a run sunday morning?

Is the TIT completely across Iowa or just the eastern to central loop? I'd love to find a path across around and back.

I am about 3-3.5hrs North of Redbird...I was supposed to go down to Redbird for a Hi-Lift jack sponsored day last year and couldn't get it off of work at the last minute :(

EDIT**** I am actually only 2.5hrs from Redbird...

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Ok, so we're looking at the weekend of June 25th, 26th. Tentative plan is for us Iowans to head out Friday night and stay through mid day Sunday. Then head home in the afternoon. I looked at my work calendar and this is the weekend I can do in June. Also, my wife is actually willing to stay in a tent for the weekend!!